Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:15 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by bergamini
I'm so glad you've only made this point once in this thread.
well people keep acting like they've organized some huge grassroots coup, which almost certainly is not the case.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pvn
well people keep acting like they've organized some huge grassroots coup, which almost certainly is not the case.
We don't know, and may never know, but it's certainly possible and not out of line with past "enhancements" for an airline that returned to profitability via bankruptcy and a growing economy and thus thinks they've invented the wheel and have taken some arrogant actions towards consumers as a result. Fortunately the ATL storm debacle did bring them a bit back to reality. But this isn't the most unreasonable thing I've ever heard of and the worst case scenario is that they now know that customers can mobilize to some extent; no damage in that. Even if this was a false rumor. I would just be more careful about accusing a fellow FT'er of fabricating something.

With that said, I'm (finally) going to be Diamond this year at my current rate plus a pending 10K MQM bonus from Amex and my spend will most definitely be over $15K (will be at $13K by end of August) so, for me, if it shrinks Diamond membership and improves my UG chances, I can't say it would be the worst thing ever.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
I would still disagree, but I certainly would not begrudge you your own opinion. How's that?

Full disclosure: I was an English teacher in a former life, and I know I can be somewhat particular when it comes to word choice.
Can you teach people on here how to distinguish between complementary and complimentary?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerslc
Can you teach people on here how to distinguish between complementary and complimentary?
OT but FTers are horrible at choose versus chose, which aren't even pronounced the same.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by RealHJ
No doubt that for hub captives this is more of a negative than for most others, you're very right.

You're right, I haven't felt the handcuffs of having to use a set travel portal and a set of rules like lowest cost economy flights (though I guess you can still pick a more expensive flight on an airline of your choice?), though I normally select the lowest cost option anyway, but sometimes it's Y, sometimes it's J (like when UA gave me 50,000 miles for just one RT HNL-IAD flight in J, with dual aisle access, thank you very much).

But again, you are being a bit overly dramatic. Why waste (OK, or "spend" if you'd like to look at it so) money on DL SkyClub membership - so very limited, instead of getting one of countless credit cards (no need to go for AmEx Plat at its hefty annual fee) with Priority Pass membership included? Then you will get access to many fold more lounges, many better lounges than SkyClub, when flying any airline. And if you have to buy the lowest cost ticket, just pay to upgrade to C+ on the longer flights; even if you pay that out of pocket, it may be an investment well worth making. Plus, flying different airlines, different product makes the hassle of frequent traveling more interesting and rewarding, IMO.*

*Though that is more so if you fly int'l. W/in US there's only a few choices, each not much better than the other. Still though, it can be a welcome break from the routine to experience different in-flight product, different connecting airports, etc.
Last year I flew over 170 domestic segments. If the C+ upgrade on that was even only $30 per segment, I'd be spending over $5K out of my own pocket to do that.

I, like many of those I work with and talk to on flights, am a primarily domestic weekly M-Th grind traveler where my flights are paid for by my client or employer. I do not have a choice of where I travel, and I must use a travel portal to get within a certain dollar amount of the least cost fare. In most cases there is wiggle around the times enough to choose a preferred carrier, but the fare is always economy (not C+/W, not F, not J).

I don't really have much desire to experience other in-flight products. I mostly consider it taking the bus to work, and would prefer to get there as quickly and in as much comfort as possible with the least amount of extra cost out of my personal wallet, and any extra perks are a bonus.

For the $195 I invest in the Delta Amex, the ROI is about 4-5% back, in Delta currency. Free companion ticket, extra MQMs/RDMs at 25k spend, and the waiver, where he latter two are sometimes the difference between PM and DM. With DM comes the 3 choice benefits, which add enough ROI to the card to make it up to that 4-5%.

DM in addition of course adds extra bonuses like priority in IRROPs, dedicated call lline priority in upgrades to C+/FC, and other things, which help to justify the card annual fee.

I could invest the extra $300+ to get a card with multiple lounges, of course, but as you pointed out it's unlikely to really be worth it in my situation. The Choice Benefit I get for SC just means I have to pay less $$ out of pocket to an airport bar or Starbucks.

I am of course aware that others have more choices, but I am describing my situation and others who do the consultant shuffle. I don't think I'm being "overdramatic", just stating the facts of my situation.

I think you also misunderstand. If Amex and Delta removed the waiver and bonus MQMs, I wouldn't stop flying Delta or throw some fit, but the Amex would no longer be worth having and I would cancel it. I don't need the redeemable miles, and the ROI is meh at best if you remove that DM bump from the equation. I can get 2% back somewhere else for no fee.

Last edited by kitkat77; Aug 12, 2017 at 9:14 am
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by pvn
Is there some compelling reason that you feel you need to disprove the possibility of this?

Just curious.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:37 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I don't need to disprove anything. The burden of proof is on those claiming it's real.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
I'm PDX based and soon to be an AS MVPG 75k. My travel for work is up substantially this year at about 100k EQM flown and planned and next year it could go through the roof to 250K+ EQM. AA dumping AS is forcing me to choose between DL and AA. DL definitely has better options to Europe and Asia out of PDX. I see killing the amex spend as a real bonus to a long haul flyer and may get me to choose DL.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does it help you to Europe and Asia? You can't get complimentary upgrades there. Do you mean in competition for GUCs?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
How does it help you to Europe and Asia? You can't get complimentary upgrades there. Do you mean in competition for GUCs?
DL has directs to AMS and NRT and seasonal direct to LHR. Condor flies to FRA. Those are the only longhaul options out of PDX. With DL I'll have GUCs or miles to upgrade. Customs in PDX is a breeze.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You only get 4 GUCs... so even with less 'competition' that is only 2 round trips. Miles upgrading on DL is a big risk as availability is difficult to get in advance and the upgrade doesn't transfer to the gate for day of departure.

I really don't see how dumping the Amex spend waiver would do anything for you. If you're booking coach tickets, you're going to be flying mostly in coach.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:51 pm

Does Dl give you 4 more GUCs every 50k miles like AA EXP's get?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by drewcwsj
Does Dl give you 4 more GUCs every 50k miles like AA EXP's get?
Nope. The only reward for MQMs over 125,000 is rollover.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Has anyone else been recently contacted by DL or AMEX management?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Has anyone else been recently contacted by DL or AMEX management?
Perhaps unrelated, but I was just asked to take a long survey about my happiness with the Reserve card, its features and success with award redemptions compared to the other travel cards I use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.