Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:11 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
He was told by the rep they have had a lot of inquiries so the letter writing must be working.
"must be working" implies that this was real to begin with.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by RealHJ
+1 for the most part, though some may lose sleep over it as their plans for earning/keeping the status for the next few years (e.g. by having a huge rollover MQM balance) will need to be changed (though not really that much, as PM and DM don't have much of a real difference, both are SkyTeam Elite Plus and get award redeposit waivers, the two important aspects; and personally to me that would be a positive actually, as despite trying not to get DM and stay PM with a larger rollover, year after year I end up, contrary to my plans, getting DM yet again)

In reality the change will be "empowering," not "devastating," as that it will empower quite a few passengers to more freely fly other airlines, no longer having the not-always-logical "loyalty" to Delta, thus saving them time and money in travel, giving the opportunity to try other alliance airlines service, and just enjoying life more. What may feel to be "devastating" at first will in the end be really "liberating" and "empowering" -- and that is a good feeling to have. It just make take some time for some to realize that.
There is a big difference for me between PM and DM. The main one is I get two free upgrades to J on internatonal every year (which may not be that big of a benefit on routes with the new premium economy service and the suites but I use one set of GU's a year for DTW/LHR and I doubt Delta will use those birds on that route).

The other big benefit for me having all my flights originating out of DTW is the coterminal benefit. It's nice having other options for airports when flying to Chicago and NYC. In fact I used it tonight for my DTW/ORD flight tomorrow and was able to get on a MDW flight instead.

As far as rollover goes if people that aren't hub captives switch airlines (I know if I was NYC or LA based I sure would be if they make this change) the PM status won't be as useful and people will still have to get in the MQD spend or put $25k on an am ex to keep the status.

Unfortunately I am stuck using Delta on a lot of my flights since I use DTW but if this goes through I will use American to MIA and ORD and LGA if they are the cheaper option and use Jet Blue more if they are cheaper
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by RealHJ

In reality the change will be "empowering," not "devastating," as that it will empower quite a few passengers to more freely fly other airlines, no longer having the not-always-logical "loyalty" to Delta, thus saving them time and money in travel, giving the opportunity to try other alliance airlines service, and just enjoying life more. What may feel to be "devastating" at first will in the end be really "liberating" and "empowering" -- and that is a good feeling to have. It just make take some time for some to realize that.
Those of you who throw around terms like "liberating" and "empowering" likely are not weekly drudge travelers that are subject to a travel portal.

The only thing that I'll be "liberated" from in this scenario is my Choice Benefits (and therefore having to use miles or $$ to buy Club membership), and perhaps the annual fee from a Delta Amex.
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by bdschobel
How do you feel about "disappointing"?

Bruce
Agree on disappointing. Losing both of my parents within a couple years of each other, both relatively young was devastating- a negative FF program "enhancement" hardly qualifies as that...

Perspective...
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by pvn
Must be working means it's getting Am Ex's attention and if this is real hopefully they will have some influence.

Just curious, as a Platinum would you be fine with them eliminating the waiver for that status also?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Someone in my office received a phone call back from an ex stating that they weren't aware of the changes. ...
I was told the same thing, but I am beginning to lean in the direction of suspecting that AMEX is in cahoots with Delta on this.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I was told the same thing, but I am beginning to lean in the direction of suspecting that AMEX is in cahoots with Delta on this.
Seems doubtful. The bigger 'loser' if this happens in AMEX. I know many people who have the Gold or Platinum DL AMEX specifically for the waiver. And they are travel heavy and in an industry that for the most part you cover your own travel. Thus booking Main Cabin or C+ is the norm.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Unfortunately I am stuck using Delta on a lot of my flights since I use DTW
No doubt that for hub captives this is more of a negative than for most others, you're very right.

Originally Posted by kitkat77
Those of you who throw around terms like "liberating" and "empowering" likely are not weekly drudge travelers that are subject to a travel portal.

The only thing that I'll be "liberated" from in this scenario is my Choice Benefits (and therefore having to use miles or $$ to buy Club membership), and perhaps the annual fee from a Delta Amex.
You're right, I haven't felt the handcuffs of having to use a set travel portal and a set of rules like lowest cost economy flights (though I guess you can still pick a more expensive flight on an airline of your choice?), though I normally select the lowest cost option anyway, but sometimes it's Y, sometimes it's J (like when UA gave me 50,000 miles for just one RT HNL-IAD flight in J, with dual aisle access, thank you very much).

But again, you are being a bit overly dramatic. Why waste (OK, or "spend" if you'd like to look at it so) money on DL SkyClub membership - so very limited, instead of getting one of countless credit cards (no need to go for AmEx Plat at its hefty annual fee) with Priority Pass membership included? Then you will get access to many fold more lounges, many better lounges than SkyClub, when flying any airline. And if you have to buy the lowest cost ticket, just pay to upgrade to C+ on the longer flights; even if you pay that out of pocket, it may be an investment well worth making. Plus, flying different airlines, different product makes the hassle of frequent traveling more interesting and rewarding, IMO.*

*Though that is more so if you fly int'l. W/in US there's only a few choices, each not much better than the other. Still though, it can be a welcome break from the routine to experience different in-flight product, different connecting airports, etc.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bdschobel
How do you feel about "disappointing"?

Bruce
That certainly sounds a bit more appropriate.

Just curious, as a Platinum would you be fine with them eliminating the waiver for that status also?
As a PM who exceeds DM MQDs each year, I certainly would be, but now we're getting back into the usual FT banter of "what's good for me is the way it ought to be."
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:15 pm
pvn
Suspended

yes. most of my trips are last minute and relatively short so MQDs have never been a problem for me.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:18 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by gooselee
As a PM who exceeds DM MQDs each year,
same.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:18 pm
pvn
Suspended

Must be working means it's getting Am Ex's attention and if this is real hopefully they will have some influence.
you can't have any influence if the whole scheme was just made up to begin with
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I would be surprised if this is the case. Unlike Delta, I've found Am Ex to be pretty upfront and honest and to have great customer service skills (making calls to members about these inquiries where Delta emails everyone the same canned response).

When Am Ex called me they told me they weren't aware of any changes and it was "business as usual" They didn't tell me anything about receiving a bunch of responses but I snail/emailed them the day after Rene posted the contact info so they probably hadn't received much feedback then.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pvn
I'm so glad you've only made this point once in this thread.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by bergamini
I'm so glad you've only made this point once in this thread.
ZING! - ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.