Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Delta - PM, Marriott-PM, Hertz - Presidents Circle, United-Silver,
I used to hit the MQD every year when I was Diamond. Now as a PM I rely on the dollar spend on the AMEX to get me there. I'm just shocked at how much it went up!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Just got the same email

This will definitely keep Diamond out of reach of most of us. It will keep it out of reach for myself for sure.

I wonder how much this will thin the Diamond ranks?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
OOOOF. I'll qualify for DM for the first time next year, then never again...

One knock-on effect this may have for those who don't leave DL is the massive flush of DM -> PM. Sayonara upgrades chances!
Theoretically this will improve UG chances for most Plats now. The DM going down to PM will be lower fare buckets and thus lower on UG priority. The PM's not getting UG on status now have a better chance based on fare bucket.

The real losers are the DM-->PM who book lower fare buckets, specifically. Nobody else loses. But those members lose big league.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder how many versions of the email there are.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
For those of us who've already qualified for Diamond for 2018, at what point can we cancel the card? Does the waiver "stick" past a card cancellation if the Diamond qualification has already happened, or do I need to hold the card past January 1st?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Titanium
Just got the email as well. Huge jump from $25k to $250k. How do you think that the meeting went. Well lets leave all the waivers the same, but lets add a zero to the diamond waiver.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BenA
For those of us who've already qualified for Diamond for 2018, at what point can we cancel the card? Does the waiver "stick" past a card cancellation if the Diamond qualification has already happened, or do I need to hold the card past January 1st?
Good question. IIRC there were a few reports of this in previous years.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:42 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
My 2016 stats - MQDs - $14,924 AmEx spend - $220,182
They gave me the line about how getting to Plat will still the waiver @ $25,000.
As I won't be needing the MQM boost to get to Diamond anymore, I'll be moving about $180K spend over to Chase.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
So I have been mulling over this and getting text messages from a lot of other folks I know who fly DL and know I'm one of those crazy idiots who lives in a hub city for another airline but flies DL.

This was a huge service design failure on the part of DL and could have been handled so much better. If there really wanted to thin the herd then they should have just eliminated the spend waiver all together as opposed to insulting everyone's intelligence like this. Then they could have quietly culled their data and privately waived the MQD spend for those using their card over $250K annually or just tossed them an invite to DL360. Instead, they set a ridiculous target and pissed most people off in the process.

Not your brightest move, DL.

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No less than 5 new threads about this in as many minutes LOL

They probably should just have eliminated the waiver all together

But the way people have responded to this means a lot of people have been hitting Diamond via the waiver and Delta does not want that

Programs: DL DM, 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, DL Amex Reserve Hilton Diamond AS 75K
I WILL CANCEL both Reserve cards. Ave annual spend is 130K
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:44 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I seriously wonder what the percentage of MQD qualifiers actually put $250,000/yr on their DL AMEX.....

Has to be less than 1%...
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Received the email 38,000 feet in the air fittingly enough.

After making DM this year, I will use 2018 to see if it's worth moving around an extra $90k to obtain the waiver. $164k was this year's spend acrodd Plat/Res cards. It would be shifted from AMEX Bus Plat as well as a few other cards but doable.

The flip side would be to shift the $164k back over to the BPlat or Chase, purchase F on any airline, and then cut up the DL AMEX cards...

Decisions decisions...

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Now how many miles will be required to achieve the ever-elusive DOUBLE DIAMOND!

Programs: Delta DM, United Plat, AA Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat
Hmm...I'd be REALLY surprised if Delta hadn't notified Amex. On another board, I did see someone post that he contacted Amex a few minutes ago to cancel his Reserve card and received a significant incentive to keep it. His view was that Amex was anticipating these calls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.