Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 355F1
I seriously wonder what the percentage of MQD qualifiers actually put $250,000/yr on their DL AMEX.....

Has to be less than 1%...
The more interesting question is how many currently don't put that much on DL AmEx cards, but are able to do so if they move expenses from other cards, including AmEx Plat/Centurion.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by 355F1
I seriously wonder what the percentage of MQD qualifiers actually put $250,000/yr on their DL AMEX.....

Has to be less than 1%...
Whatever it was, it'll change.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
So how much of the annual fee do you get back for cancelling?

I have no use for the card without the waiver.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I'll probably be an anomaly in this thread but I have to say, I feel a bit relieved.

When Renee first posted about the possible change, I was not happy, as I need the waiver to qualify. But as time went on, I found (and even commented to a friend last week) that not feeling the impetus to fly those extra 50K for Diamond would be freeing. My travel patterns result in 75K to 100K relatively easily. 125K required some work, including roundabout routings (where I could get them) and usually a MR or two. Now I no longer need to do that. I can also now feel free to shop around for anything over 75K. My song may change (as I will qualify for Diamond for the first and last time in a few weeks) but I'm surprisingly okay (for my personal reasons) with this. I feel bad for others though.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, United Plat, AA Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kitkat77
So how much of the annual fee do you get back for cancelling?

I have no use for the card without the waiver.
In his example, he did place some value on the first class companion ticket so was happy to have gotten $400 to keep the card. I don't know if he was expected to spend a minimum threshold for that or not.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
LOL...they used to get 25-50k from me every year...will turn into 0 once I hit this year's MQM bonus.
skofarrell and Seabilly like this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
So can you still get DM by putting $100K on a Delta Corporate Jet card account? That's $150K less than the new AmEx spending waiver. (Not that I have $100K sitting around to do that but it did make me wonder).
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm guessing that DL/AmEx wanted to set the requirement large enough to be virtually impossible to attain through MS.
bergamini likes this.

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Keith2004
They probably should just have eliminated the waiver all together
Now they can say "Everybody has access to the DM waiver..."

I will start using my SM for tickets, requalifying as PM (with a lower level Amex) to keep redemption flexibility. Maybe test with waters elsewhere...

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; Sep 26, 2017 at 11:57 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by fjord
LOL...they used to get 25-50k from me every year...will turn into 0 once I hit this year's MQM bonus.

Same here.

I just got the AA Barclays Card for the 50k AA Miles signup bonus (no spend requirement), and I was going to simply cancel it. But they offer $3k of AA EQDs if you spend a certain amount....so I may pay my taxes with it instead of my normal DL AMEX Card.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
The companion 1st class upgrade voucher was hard enough to use as is. No reason to keep the Reserve as $250,000 spend per year for SkyMiles is useless, rather spend $250,000/year on my Platinum card as Membership Rewards can at least be transferred to other programs than Skymiles which has over inflated reward structure.

Delta, in other words I will be cancelling my Reserve as you read this feedback.
RaflW and SLCEO like this.

Programs: Delta Plat, 1MM/Marriott Titanium
OK...so I have been questioning my loyalty to Delta on another thread given they will not give C+ on bulk fares. This was a perk I really liked.

Currently have the Reserve Card (so does the wife). What we like is Lounge Access and Free Bags. I guess the theoretical upgrade advantage is worth something, but given upgrade frequency, not much. Companion ticket sometimes goes unused.

So question is...what is best card to get? Lounge plus Bags is probably the perk, particularly if it is across multiple airlines. I will be a DM, but no longer feel the loyalty...

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm guessing that DL/AmEx wanted to set the requirement large enough to be virtually impossible to attain through MS.
Excellent point. I completely agree.

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Cancelling mine right now
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
For a second I had to glance at the calendar and be sure I didn't sleep until April 1st. Unbelievable. I don't play the MQD waiver game with CC's as of now, and was literally about to pull a reserve card application this week...but no longer.

I wouldn't have been shocked to see this go to 50 or 75K, but 250K?

DL diamond is a nice status and all, but sorry, it's not as nice as DL thinks it is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.