Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: DL - PM
I thought it was interesting that my email specifically referred to thinning the herd.

Based on your qualification history, this change will not impact how you qualify if you continue to earn MQDs like you have in the past. In fact, we expect that this change will improve your overall Diamond Medallion experience because there will be fewer Diamond Medallion Members.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So DL can move KE to Group 1 with full MQMs and there will still be a big disincentive to using KE.

Now many people will need to watch their MQDs a lot more than MQMs for DM.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Gold
"We understand this is a significant increase, but keep in mind that the MQD Waiver to qualify for all of the best-in-class benefits of Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion Status will still remain at $25,000."

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
OOOOF. I'll qualify for DM for the first time next year, then never again...

One knock-on effect this may have for those who don't leave DL is the massive flush of DM -> PM. Sayonara upgrades chances!

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hiima
No, Rene claimed that DM wouldn't have waiver at all. Claimed that he had a person on the inside. Others were hoping that it would just be a change in spend amount, which it became.
Semantics. Waiver has changed for pretty much been eliminated for everyone except for ultra-high rollers. Even a lot of the 1% don't charge $250K per year. I'm sure there are nominal exceptions but not many. And maybe the letter writing campaign changed it from eliminated to pretty much unattainable.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Who spends $250k on a Delta Amex?!?!

They should have just eliminated the MQD waiver for DM

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Hot damn!

Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Gold
Originally Posted by Ordhater
I thought it was interesting that my email specifically referred to thinning the herd.

Based on your qualification history, this change will not impact how you qualify if you continue to earn MQDs like you have in the past. In fact, we expect that this change will improve your overall Diamond Medallion experience because there will be fewer Diamond Medallion Members.
Mine: "Based on your qualification history, we expect that this change will improve your overall Diamond Medallion experience because there will be fewer Diamond Medallion Members."
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: DL GM SPG National Emerald
I just got this email. I've just been buying first for a number of years now anyway but this has just made it clear to me that status no longer matters and I should both a) drop my Delta Reserve AmEx and b) start flying other airlines since I'm flying paid first anyway.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Delta!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:26 am

New DL AmEx Diamond Status

Well, this will sure thin the ranks.

I am fine with this, charging $250K on my DL AmEx is a walk in the park.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:27 am

Thank you for being a Platinum Medallion Member and for your continued loyalty. We are always looking for ways to improve the Medallion experience by listening to your feedback. Because we want to ensure our most well-traveled Members can take full advantage of all their benefits, a change is being made to how Members qualify for 2019 Diamond Medallion Status. As a current Platinum Medallion Member, this change will not impact how you earn Platinum Medallion Status.

As a Credit Card Member, we want you to be aware that starting January 1st, 2018, the Medallion Qualification Dollar (MQD) Waiver for Diamond Medallion Status is increasing. The MQD Waiver for Diamond is currently earned by spending $25,000 in eligible purchases in a calendar year on a SkyMiles Credit Card with American Express. It is being adjusted to $250,000 in a calendar year. Keep in mind, the MQD Waiver to qualify for all of the best-in-class benefits of Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion Status will still remain at $25,000.

Programs: DL DM 1MM+, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
New MQD Waiver Limits

Just got the email from Delta.

For a Platinum AMEX card the waiver limit goes from $25K in a year to $250K. Holy crap!

Is this the same for Reserve card? Not sure its worth it to keep the DL Platinum AMEX at this point except for miles. Does it earn at the same rate as gold?

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I will make Diamond by next month, but it will be really close to hit the $15k by the end of the year since I had a fair amount of roll over MQMs. Curious though, I'm moving from SLC to Dallas and have three options - try to get a status match on AA out of DFW or WN out of DAL, or stick with DL to enjoy DM. I'll definitely have to do more connecting, and I'm guessing ticket prices will be much cheaper out of DFW than SLC... So what's the right thing to do? With this change, the Reserve card has far less value. And I'll have SkyClub next year anyway. I suppose I could also stop flying DL this year and switch now, thus rolling over almost 50,000 MQMs.

I'll be traveling a bit less, so what would everyone recommend? Stick with DL and probably be GM or PM in 2019? Switch to WN and RR Visa? Switch to AA and their Citi Card? Have to also mention I'll live pretty close to Love Field.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:28 am

In a way, this makes Platinum really easy to maintain for many years to come.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Well this is a bummer. I've at least qualified for PM next year and may now seriously look into mileage running to hit DM for what will almost certainly be the last time. But now I think while I'm still SEA based it may be worth a status match to AS and then give myself options for next year. I don't know if I'll be in Seattle beyond next year so that will play into the decision but at best I'll qualify for PM for 2019 so I'll be playing the field to get and maintain light status on either AA/UA/AS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.