Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best Seats, Amenities, & Experiences on Delta's A350

Old Jun 20, 17, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Initial flights:

DTW>NRT effective Oct 30 2017 (from B744). Inaugural A350 flight, flown by N502DN.
DTW>ICN effective Nov 18 2017 (in conjunction with the B744). First flight flown by N501DN. Transitioned to the A350 Dec 18 2017.
DTW>PEK effective Jan 17 2018 (in conjunction with the A332). First flight flown by N503DN. Transitioned to the A350 Feb 13 2018.
DTW>AMS effective March 31 2018 (from A332/333) - DL132/133 only.
DTW>PVG effective April 19 2018 (from B744/B777).

ATL>ICN effective March 24 2018 (from B777).

LAX>PVG effective July 2 2018 (alternated with the B777 until July 18 2018).


Press Releases Regarding A350 Routes
http://news.delta.com/delta-s-new-a3...eon-march-2018
http://news.delta.com/delta-expands-...rope-and-china

Related threads:
2017 The Year of the A350
Are there enough toilets on the new A350?
UA 77W Polaris vs DL A350 DeltaOne in Business

All cabins feature wifi, USB power, and AVOD at every seat.

Delta One (business/first seats, rows 1-9)
* Features 32 of the new Delta One Suites with lie-flat seats, 22-24" width, and 76-81" length in a 1-2-1 configuration.
* A full-height door at every suite and sliding privacy dividers between center suites
* In-suite, customizable ambient lighting; dedicated stowage compartments for shoes, headphones and laptops; and memory foam-enhanced comfort cushion
* An 18-inch, high resolution in-flight entertainment monitor and 110-volt power
* Delta's webpage on the new suites: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ess-class.html

Delta Premium Select (premium economy seats, rows 20-25)
* Has 48 seats with 18.5" width, 38" pitch, up to 7" of recline, and adjustable leg rests in a 2-4-2 configuration
* Up to a 13.3-inch, high resolution in-flight entertainment screen and 110-volt power
* Delta's webpage on these new seats: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...m-economy.html

Main Cabin (economy seats, rows 30-55)
* Has 226 seats with 18" width and 31-32" pitch in a 3-3-3 configuration.
* Preferred seats are window and aisle seats in rows 30-33, 41, and all seats in exit row 40
* Does not have 110-volt power

Config of the 3-class cabin wasD1/32 seats...PS/48 seats...MC/226 seats for a total 306 seats. This config was on the first 13 frames (3501-3513) delivered and then subsequently they were updated to the 4-class cabin as detailed below.

Config of the 4-class cabin is...D1/32 seats...PS/48 seats...C+/36 seats...MC/190 seats for a total of 306 seats.

Seat map (link to Delta webpage)

359 (4 class) cabin tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ3D-xZGfAs
35L (ex-Latam) cabin tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgO-Os_rLCk

A350 Current Routes:
DTW>NRT Started Oct 30 2017 (from B744). First flight was flown by N502DN and it was the inaugural A350 flight.
DTW>ICN Started Nov 18 2017 (from B744). First flight was flown by N501DN.
DTW>PEK Started Jan 17 2018 (from A332). First flight was flown by N503DN.
DTW>AMS (Alternating DL132/133 and DL134/135) Started March 31 2018 (from A332/333). First flight was flown by N502DN.
DTW>PVG Started April 19 2018 (from B777). First flight was flown by N508DN.
ATL>ICN Started March 24 2018 (from B777). First flight was flown by N504DN.
LAX>PVG Started July 2 2018 (from B777). First flight was flown by N504DN.
SEA>NRT Started March 1 2019 (from B767/A333). First flight was flown by N502DN.

Press Releases Regarding A350 Routes:
http://news.delta.com/delta-s-new-a3...eon-march-2018
http://news.delta.com/delta-expands-...rope-and-china

A350-900: 19/35 delivered (19 in service, 0 in induction).
3501 N501DN Delivered TLS>ATL Aug 5 2017. Entered service Oct 31 2017. Flew the first A350 flight DTW>ICN Nov 18 2017. C+ installed at MSP Jan 10-Feb 2 2021.
3502 N502DN Delivered TLS>ATL Sept 1 2017. Entered service and flew the inaugural A350 flight DTW>NRT Oct 30 2017. C+ installed at MSP Feb 17-March 1 2021.
3503 N503DN Delivered TLS>MSP Nov 1 2017. Entered service DTW>NRT Nov 18 2017. Flew the first A350 flight DTW>PEK Jan 17 2018. C+ installed at MSP Feb 2-16 2021.
3504 N504DN Delivered TLS>MSP Nov 29 2017. Entered service DTW>NRT Dec 18 2017. Flew the first A350 flight ATL>ICN on March 24 2018. Flew the first A350 flight LAX>PVG on July 2 2018. C+ installed at MSP March 1-15 2021.
3505 N505DN Delivered TLS>ATL>MSP Dec 12-13 2017. Entered service DTW>NRT Jan 12 2018. C+ installed at MSP Mar 26-Apr 9 2021.
3506 N506DN Delivered TLS>ATL Dec 22 2017. Entered service DTW>ICN Feb 7 2018. C+ installed at MSP March 15-26 2021.
3507 N507DN Delivered TLS>ATL Feb 21 2018. Entered service DTW>NRT March 17 2018. C+ installed at MSP Dec 30 2020-Jan 20 2021.
3508 N508DN Delivered TLS>ATL March 6 2018. Entered service DTW>ICN March 30 2018. C+ installed at MSP Jan 17-31 2021.
3509 N509DN Delivered TLS>ATL April 13 2018. Entered service DTW>ICN May 6 2018. C+ installed at MSP Jan 30-Feb 15 2021.
3510 N510DN Delivered TLS>ATL May 24 2018. Entered service DTW>NRT June 16 2018. C+ installed at MSP Feb 15-March 6 2021.
3511 N511DN Delivered TLS>ATL June 14 2018. Entered service DTW>ICN July 7 2018. C+ installed at MSP March 16-April 16 2021.
3512 N512DN Delivered TLS>ATL Jan 26 2019. Entered service ATL>ICN Feb 14 2019. C+ installed at MSP April 17-22 2021.
3513 N513DZ Delivered TLS>ATL March 1 2019. Entered service DTW>AMS March 21 2019. C+ installed at MSP April 22-25 2021.
Note: all A359s with ship numbers 3514 and higher were or will be delivered with C+ installed.
3514 N514DN Delivered TLS>NRT Sept 16-17 2020. Entered service DTW>CDG Oct 17 2020.
3515 N515DN Delivered TLS>AMS Sept 16 2020. Entered revenue service (cargo) NRT>ATL Nov 5 2020 and revenue passenger service ATL>ICN Nov 6 2020.
3516 N516DN Delivered TLS>NRT Jan 26-27 2022. Entered service MSP>DTW Feb 24 2022.
3517 N517DZ Delivered TLS>NGO Feb 1-2 2022then ferried NGO>NRT for induction Feb 12 2022. Entered service DTW>AMS March 7 2022.
3518 N518DZ Delivered TLS>NRT Nov 22-23 2022. Entered service DTW>HND Dec 18 2022.
3519 N519DN Delivered TLS>NRT Dec 16-17 2022. Entered service MSP>PHX Jan 9 2023.
MSN 654 3520 N520DN...Delivery scheduled 2024.
MSN 661 3521 N521DN...Delivery scheduled 2024.
MSN xxx 3522 N522DN...Delivery scheduled 2024.
MSN xxx 3523 N523DN...Delivery scheduled 2024.
MSN xxx 3524 N524DN...Delivery scheduled 2024.
MSN xxx 3525 N525DN...Delivery scheduled 2024.
MSN xxx 3526 N526DN...Delivery scheduled 2024.
MSN xxx 3527 N527DN...Delivery scheduled 2025.
MSN xxx 3528 N528DN...Delivery scheduled 2025.

Upcoming deliveries/orders as of 12/31/22:
2023 0
2024 7
2025 6
2026 & later 3
Total 16

The 9 ex-LATAM frames are due to be refurbished starting February 2022config of the 3-class cabin is D1/30C+/63MC/246 for a total of 339 seats. (7 of 9 completed2 in induction)

MSN 024...3568...N568DZ...ex PR-XTA...ferried VCV>SEA>SIN May 5-8 2023 for induction.
MSN 027...3569...N569DZ...ex PR-XTB...ferried VCV>SEA>SIN April 13-15 2023 for induction.
MSN 048...3570...N570DZ...ex A7-AMC/PR-XTE...ferried VCV>SEA>SIN Feb 24-26 2023 for induction...induction completed & ferried SIN>ATL May 17 2023...entered service ATL-CDG May 27 2023.
MSN 064...3571...N571DZ... ex A7-AMB/PR-XTF...ferried VCV>SEA>SIN Jan 12-14 2023 for induction...induction completed & ferried SIN>ATL April 4 2023...entered service ATL-AMS April 15 2023.
MSN 200...3572...N572DZ...ex PR-XTH...ferried VCV>SEA>SIN Nov 9-11 2022 for induction...induction completed & ferried SIN>ATL Jan 20 2023entered service ATL-GTB Feb 11 2023.
MSN 250...3573...N573DZ...ex PR-XTIferried VCV>SEA>SIN Sept 27-29 2022 for induction...induction completed & ferried SIN>ATL Dec 7 2022...entered service DTW-HNL Jan 1 2023.
MSN 265...3574...N574DZ...ex A7-AQA/PR-XTJ...ferried VCV>SEA>SIN June 2-5 2022 for induction...induction completed & ferried SIN>SEA>MSP Aug 19 2022...entered service ATL-SEA Sept 9 2022.
MSN 282...3575...N575DZ...ex A7-AQB/PR-XTK...ferried VCV>SEA>SIN Feb 11-13 2022 for inductioninduction completed & ferried SIN>MSP June 1 2022entered service ATL-DTW June 13 2022.
MSN 313...3576...N576DZ...ex A7-AQC/PR-XTL...ferried VCV>SEA>SIN March 10-12 2022 for inductioninduction completed & ferried SIN>MSP July 18 2022entered service ATL-SEA Aug 2 2022.
Print Wikipost

Best Seats, Amenities, & Experiences on Delta's A350

Old Jan 30, 17, 10:06 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 557
The initial pilot base for the A350 will be DTW. You can expect to see a few short routes initially and perhaps even DTW-AMS as they get the crews and airframes up to speed. The big issue at the moment is how delayed is Airbus going to be on the deliveries. Supposed to be 5 airframes on the property by Dec. That now looks unlikely.
Jeff767 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 10:24 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 5,292
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
The only "negative" side if you are on an A350 in economy and want to use a Global upgrade, you will be upgrade from economy to premium select... (not to business)
I wish to try the new premium select on the A350, but use my global upgrade on other airplane.
That is not the case as of now.
bubbashow is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 10:25 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 5,292
Oh, and I can't wait for the FT OUTRAGE when the A350 has teething problems (all new planes do) and a 777 or 747 is substituted without the "suite" and just standard D1. Who will compensate them for the horror!?
bubbashow is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 10:31 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Posts: 645
Originally Posted by zedthedeadpoet
Hu? That's a joke, right?
No...
On Delta website:

Diamond Medallion Members will be eligible to use Global Upgrade Certificates to upgrade to Delta Premium Select, a new class of service on Delta's long-haul international flights that will begin in 2017. On Delta Premium Select-equipped aircraft, Global Upgrade Certificates can still be used to upgrade to Delta One.

This mean, you are in economy , you upgrade to premium select, and from premium select to business....
FBplatinum is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 10:39 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,394
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
The only "negative" side if you are on an A350 in economy and want to use a Global upgrade, you will be upgrade from economy to premium select... (not to business)
I wish to try the new premium select on the A350, but use my global upgrade on other airplane.
I though DL said something about still going from Y to J even when (actual) W gets rolled out.
kop84 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 10:41 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DCA
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 6,511
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
No...
On Delta website:

Diamond Medallion Members will be eligible to use Global Upgrade Certificates to upgrade to Delta Premium Select, a new class of service on Delta's long-haul international flights that will begin in 2017. On Delta Premium Select-equipped aircraft, Global Upgrade Certificates can still be used to upgrade to Delta One™.

This mean, you are in economy , you upgrade to premium select, and from premium select to business....
No, it means that a GUC can be used to upgrade to W or J from Y. It does not mean that one must be ticketed in W to be eligible to upgrade to J.

Why anyone would use a GUC to upgrade to W, I do not know.
KDCAflyer is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 10:44 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Posts: 645
Originally Posted by kop84
I though DL said something about still going from Y to J even when (actual) W gets rolled out.
I think it will be possible if you use 2 global certificates...
Else, how will be enough "dummy" to upgrade only to premium select (from economy). The only exception I can understand is you have a kid(s) how travel in other class than you...
FBplatinum is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 10:47 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Posts: 645
Originally Posted by WWads
No, it means that a GUC can be used to upgrade to W or J from Y. It does not mean that one must be ticketed in W to be eligible to upgrade to J.

Why anyone would use a GUC to upgrade to W, I do not know.
When most of long flight will have W, you will have no choice. (same as AF, you "upgrade" from Y to W, and W to J...).

did you read anywhere you can upgrade from Y to J (if the plane have W) ??? If I real good, it is from Y to W AND W to J... nothing more...

I know it is NOT the best usage of a GUC from Y to W, but if you are "jam" in a middle seat for a 10h to 14h, I think you will have the "option" to use a GUC to get out of this ....
FBplatinum is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 11:45 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alexandria, Longboat Key
Programs: Amtrak SE, United 1K, Wyndham PLAT, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Choice PLAT, Avis President's Club
Posts: 2,088
Originally Posted by Jeff767
The initial pilot base for the A350 will be DTW. You can expect to see a few short routes initially and perhaps even DTW-AMS as they get the crews and airframes up to speed. The big issue at the moment is how delayed is Airbus going to be on the deliveries. Supposed to be 5 airframes on the property by Dec. That now looks unlikely.
I'd have to figure Delta needs at least four in order to operate DTW-ICN/PVG. DTW-NRT has been operated by an A330-200 in the past and with Delta continuing to downgauge NRT, it wouldn't be a huge cut if DTW-NRT goes to A330-200 exclusively, at least during winter 2017/2018.
Longboater is online now  
Old Jan 30, 17, 1:54 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 8,348
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
I think it will be possible if you use 2 global certificates...
Else, how will be enough "dummy" to upgrade only to premium select (from economy). The only exception I can understand is you have a kid(s) how travel in other class than you...

No, for now the published policy is that you can use 1 GUC to upgrade from Y to J. No need to be in W to upgrade to J and no need to use 2 certs. This has been widely discussed on FT.

Also, I can imagine scenarios where someone would use a GUC to go to W: You are nearing year end and cert will expire. There is no J space but you can get into W for that 14 flight.

I would expect we will see a new upgrade certificate product rolled out with new rules once W is a firmly established product on more than a few select routes, but we are at least a couple of years away, and probably more, as this will require all A350s to be online as well as 777's to be upgraded with new interiors. DL has not announced if they will be modifying the A330 or 767 to 3 cabin a/c. I am doubtful about the 767's due to their age, but I could see it happening with the A330.
jdrtravel is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 2:15 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CT
Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Posts: 2,026
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
No...
On Delta website:

Diamond Medallion Members will be eligible to use Global Upgrade Certificates to upgrade to Delta Premium Select, a new class of service on Delta's long-haul international flights that will begin in 2017. On Delta Premium Select-equipped aircraft, Global Upgrade Certificates can still be used to upgrade to Delta One.

This mean, you are in economy , you upgrade to premium select, and from premium select to business....
you are speculating on what you read into that statement. There is no language specific to your paranoia. If it had said On Delta Premium Select-equipped aircraft Global Upgrade Certificates can ONLY be upgraded to Delta One from Premium Select then I would agree with you.
BusTrav8yrs is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 2:45 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,394
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
No, for now the published policy is that you can use 1 GUC to upgrade from Y to J. No need to be in W to upgrade to J and no need to use 2 certs. This has been widely discussed on FT.

Also, I can imagine scenarios where someone would use a GUC to go to W: You are nearing year end and cert will expire. There is no J space but you can get into W for that 14 flight.

I would expect we will see a new upgrade certificate product rolled out with new rules once W is a firmly established product on more than a few select routes, but we are at least a couple of years away, and probably more, as this will require all A350s to be online as well as 777's to be upgraded with new interiors. DL has not announced if they will be modifying the A330 or 767 to 3 cabin a/c. I am doubtful about the 767's due to their age, but I could see it happening with the A330.
I think it would be years until DL comes out with a special W cert (if they do). It won't be a fast process adding PE and until they have enough planes equipped with it that it won't be an absolute cluster every time there is an equipment swap. I could see a situation where DL will allow RUC's to be used for Domestic F/J and W internationally.

Several years from now, 2020 or later I could see WUC's come around, but it won't be earlier than that.
kop84 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 3:34 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wayne, PA USA
Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Posts: 7,170
Originally Posted by jdrtravel

I would expect we will see a new upgrade certificate product rolled out with new rules once W is a firmly established product on more than a few select routes, but we are at least a couple of years away, and probably more, as this will require all A350s to be online as well as 777's to be upgraded with new interiors. DL has not announced if they will be modifying the A330 or 767 to 3 cabin a/c. I am doubtful about the 767's due to their age, but I could see it happening with the A330.
I agree. I think that what you'll see are Regional Upgrade Certificates and Premium Select Upgrade Certificates. I expect explicit certificates for Delta One upgrades to go away, instead requiring upgrades via multiple Premium Select Upgrade Certificates (or perhaps some type of one-class upgrade certificate). I definitely expect Delta to make it much more difficult to upgrade into the Delta One cabin on Premium Select equipped aircraft.
jimrpa is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 5:12 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 8,348
Originally Posted by kop84
I think it would be years until DL comes out with a special W cert (if they do). It won't be a fast process adding PE and until they have enough planes equipped with it that it won't be an absolute cluster every time there is an equipment swap. I could see a situation where DL will allow RUC's to be used for Domestic F/J and W internationally.

Several years from now, 2020 or later I could see WUC's come around, but it won't be earlier than that.
Right, that's exactly what I said.
jdrtravel is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 5:28 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NYC
Programs: DL Plat
Posts: 229
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Yeah it honestly looks like a glorified 767 seat with a 5 inch plastic partition that can be opened or closed. Nothing like a Suite.

Funny how an airline runs away crying from ME carriers but tries to market their subpar product as anything akin to what those far superior carriers offer.
That's neither funny nor true. Delta doesn't have first class. Nobody is claiming it's going to be like Ethiad First. All they are claiming is that it will have more privacy than a typical Delta One seat, and that it will.
live5 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread