Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Great explanation about Crew Tracking & Scheduling and what went wrong: Post #590

[Feel free to edit / add to the timeline of DL events.]

First waver ATL only and only 5-7 and by 11th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170406...perations.html

Second waver "all" hubs and 5-9 and by 16th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170407...perations.html

April 6th COO Gil West apology and blames "unprecedented" ( 5 hour ) storm / weather: http://news.delta.com/chief-operatin...cedented-storm

April 7 & 8 Five things to know list: http://news.delta.com/5-things-custo...tions-saturday

April 7th In midst of service fail Delta devalues SkyMiles with partners: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html

April 8th updates on operations: http://news.delta.com/operational-re...ontinues-today

April 12th will be $DAL earnings live and should yield more info: http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...s/default.aspx

April 9, 11:40 PM (EDT): What appears to be the last cancellation of the meltdown was made for DL2682/10Apr BOS-LGA (717 aircraft)

April 11th - Delta begins to pay out compensation for impacted travelers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html

Other coverage of the event:

Pilots board relating to this epic fail: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...-atl-irop.html

Factors compounding delays/cancellations:
  • Weather in ATL April 5
  • DL terminating interline with AA
  • Delta's systems crashing/overloaded
  • DL's crew scheduling system crashed [rumor?]
  • Rumored short-term power outage in ATL A concourse caused by airport construction some time around Tuesday-Wednesday

Current delay statistics: Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics

News coverage:

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Has Canceled Thousands Of Flights And Everyone Is In Hell - No spring break is safe. (Posted on April 7, 2017, at 11:59 a.m.)

The Southampton Press: Cancelled Flight Dashes Disney Dream For Hampton Bays Marching Band (April 7, 2017 11:30 AM)

USA Today: Thousands of Delta flights canceled days after storms (Published 8:53 a.m. ET April 8, 2017)

CNN - Delta meltdown: Pilots are on hold, too (Updated 6:52 PM ET, Sat April 8, 2017)

The Wall Street Journal - Delta Struggles to Recover From Last Week’s Storms (April 9, 2017 12:23 p.m. ET)

AJC.com: Delta woes stretch into Sunday with more cancellations (11:57 a.m. Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Why one day of thunderstorms turned into a five-day Delta meltdown (12:01 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

Detroit Free Press: Headaches continue for Delta fliers in Detroit (Published 2:26 p.m. ET April 9, 2017 Updated 5:54 p.m. ET April 9, 2017)

CNN - Delta tries to 'normalize' as flight cancellations continue (Updated 4:06 PM ET, Sun April 9, 2017)

New York Times: Storms, Though Over, Still Disrupt Delta Flights (APRIL 9, 2017)

NewsChannel5.com - Nashville Man's Body Stranded After Delta Flight Chaos (4:24 PM April 9, 2017)

CBS North Carolina: Raleigh parents upset after son’s body stranded during Delta flight chaos (April 9, 2017, 8:14 pm Updated: April 10, 2017, 5:35 am)

AJC.com: Delta reassures customers as delays continue through weekend (5:53 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Hundreds of stranded bags left at Hartsfield-Jackson in aftermath of Delta flight cancellations (9:29 a.m. Monday, April 10, 2017)

Bloomberg: Delta Delays Drag On, Testing Passengers' Patience (April 9, 2017, 4:10 PM EDT Updated On April 10, 2017, 10:13 AM EDT)

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Suffered "Failure of Crew Tracking Systems" During Cancelled Flight Fiasco - "I feel like we are lost in the system." (Originally posted on April 11, 2017, at 3:28 p.m. Updated on April 12, 2017, at 10:38 a.m. )

Reuters (posted on BusinessInsider): Delta's profit drops 36.3% (Apr. 12, 2017, 7:20 AM)

AJC.com - Accused child rapist caught at airport when flight is delayed (7:39 p.m Thursday, April 13, 2017)
Print Wikipost

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:48 am

More than a three hour delay, on a Gold Medallion customer service line, at 2 AM, is pretty unacceptable.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
BTW, I flew from ATL to NYC on Thursday afternoon, and my flight was cancelled so I went standby on the next. The flight had been pushed back from 6-something to 9-something, but I decided to hang by the hoop since it was my only option. Around 7:00 the departure time moved earlier to around 8:00; the gate agent said that we were just waiting on one flight attendant. After about 45 minutes of waiting, a few of us were eying every uniformed person coming down the terminal. Finally, at close to 9:00 a flight attendant strolls up - and we realize that we had seen the SAME GUY walk past us about 45 minutes earlier. He mumbled something about hearing that the flight was scheduled for 9-something. Shouldn't there be a way for the gate (or operations team) to call or text the guy to say that his plane is ready?? If this is a temporary issue, then it could explain part of what is going on now. If this is an ongoing issue, then there are even bigger problems....
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:44 am

26-40 hour hold time on the Gold Medallion line right now.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k; Marriott Titanium
Our LAX>CMH red eye flight was cancelled 2.5 hour before the scheduled takeoff. The app was saying "on time" all day, then suddenly the cancellation. 2-3 hour hold time at the platinum line. SP line at the airport was long and barely moving. Non-elite lines wrapped around the hallway Disneyland style and barely moving. we Waited 2.5 hours to talk to an agent , and there was nothing until Monday morning. we decided to take WN tomorrow and ask for a refund.
I know weather started the whole mess, but seriously, more than 2 days after the storm, on a route that does not involve any affected city and with perfect weather, sudden cancellation that get people stuck for 2 more days? Something is seriously wrong.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nichelle
Well, well, well.. .what an interesting read.
Wow just wow
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
It's Saturday now, 3 days later and Delta basically still can't be reached. Current hold time for the Diamond medallion desk between 56 minutes and 1h25 minutes.

[edit] more then 3 hours now. Hold time for Golds, FO's and those poor non FF-pax must be like 2-3 days???

Last edited by Grouchy; Apr 8, 2017 at 6:17 am
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by essexnyc
BTW, I flew from ATL to NYC on Thursday afternoon, and my flight was cancelled so I went standby on the next. The flight had been pushed back from 6-something to 9-something, but I decided to hang by the hoop since it was my only option. Around 7:00 the departure time moved earlier to around 8:00; the gate agent said that we were just waiting on one flight attendant. After about 45 minutes of waiting, a few of us were eying every uniformed person coming down the terminal. Finally, at close to 9:00 a flight attendant strolls up - and we realize that we had seen the SAME GUY walk past us about 45 minutes earlier. He mumbled something about hearing that the flight was scheduled for 9-something. Shouldn't there be a way for the gate (or operations team) to call or text the guy to say that his plane is ready?? If this is a temporary issue, then it could explain part of what is going on now. If this is an ongoing issue, then there are even bigger problems....
Ok, this is what's happening. FAs can be reached at any time by the company/scheduling by using the sky pro icrew. Because of the melt down, the FAs have been ordered to stop calling in and only go by what their schedules say on the skypro. No one is updating the skypros. When they do get updated, it's late or outdated. Flight crews showing up for canceled flts, scheduling looking for crews in the wrong cities i.e. LAX when the crew is in ATL.

Flight crews are being over worked. On duty for 30+ hours -no sleep. No place for the crews to sleep when they are on the ground. The company has given up on trying to find hotels for FAs. The crews are told, once in the air, to find their own accommodations when they get to their destination. The company will reimburse them later. The trouble is, many of the crew are junior and don't have the money for a room even if they can find them. Lack of sleep and no showers.

Because of what it happening, working crews illegally, the FAA is now starting an investigation. That is a fact.

While flight crews are easy targets, they aren't being treated any better than the customers.

Fly Safe!

NWA FA
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Well, my experience with the Delta meltdown has just turned sour. After having the first flight of the day (Flight 1234 PNS-ATL, 05:50am) cancelled yesterday (Fri), i returned to the airport to catch todays flight 1234. I had no notification of anything wrong and went to the airport, only to find 2/3 of todays flights cancelled - to include my flight 1234 to ATL.

Delta had rebooked me on a United flight leaving about 11 hours later (3pm), via Houston, getting into Las Vegas at 7:15pm. By this time there was no point in going on the trip due to the hassle and having the trip to LAS cut 50% short. Annoyingly, DL didn't notify me until I was basically back at the airport - which would have saved me a long fruitless trip to the airport, to be told about the United rebooking. I'll be filing for a refund from DL.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by banness
Thank god for the sky clubs and all their staff. They were awesome despite all the problems they encountered. Rebooking there was at least 2-3 hours quicker than outside in terminal. International club stayed open till 0400( when everyone in line had been rebooked) and B terminal stayed open all night. Way crowded but much better than the terminal which looked like a homeless shelter.
The MSP SC at F/G was madness yesterday but the agent who helped me was awesome. Was flying to Miami to head to the Keys for the weekend but got canceled because my friend fell ill and she switched my flight to PBI noo questions asked (my car was there).
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by NWAFA
Ok, this is what's happening. FAs can be reached at any time by the company/scheduling by using the sky pro icrew. Because of the melt down, the FAs have been ordered to stop calling in and only go by what their schedules say on the skypro. No one is updating the skypros. When they do get updated, it's late or outdated. Flight crews showing up for canceled flts, scheduling looking for crews in the wrong cities i.e. LAX when the crew is in ATL.

Flight crews are being over worked. On duty for 30+ hours -no sleep. No place for the crews to sleep when they are on the ground. The company has given up on trying to find hotels for FAs. The crews are told, once in the air, to find their own accommodations when they get to their destination. The company will reimburse them later. The trouble is, many of the crew are junior and don't have the money for a room even if they can find them. Lack of sleep and no showers.

Because of what it happening, working crews illegally, the FAA is now starting an investigation. That is a fact.

While flight crews are easy targets, they aren't being treated any better than the customers.

Fly Safe!

NWA FA
Pretty much verbatim what a FA told me yesterday as we were chatting (the long days and no hotel provided part). Claimed she slept in the SC as there were no hotels to book.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: Delta
So sad to see the "execution machine" reputation that Delta had achieved get shredded by this turn of events. Operations management not only dropped the ball, their recovery has been shoddy and sloppy and communications/updates non-existent.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Just for kicks, checked the PM line. 5-7 hour hold time.

This may very well be the worst self-inflicted meltdown in the history of Delta Air Lines. I remember the Comair crew scheduling meltdown, and this one seems worse.

After reading that crew thread, maybe it's time for the FAs to unionize. Seems like the perfect opportunity after all this.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Apr 8, 2017 at 6:24 am
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Just for kicks, I called the Diamond line. The hold time is 2 hours & 21 minutes to 3 hours & 32 minutes.

The offer of a call back was an option.

I'm speechless.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by robdls
26-40 hour hold time on the Gold Medallion line right now.
Originally Posted by WWads
Just for kicks, checked the PM line. 5-7 hour hold time.
Originally Posted by nichelle
Just for kicks, I called the Diamond line. The hold time is 2 hours & 21 minutes to 3 hours & 32 minutes.

The offer of a call back was an option.

I'm speechless.
And yet, the highly trained (and paid) professionals in SkyMiles had time during all this downtime to secretly decimate the award program (again). Loyalty rewarded? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Renes Points
And yet, the highly trained (and paid) professionals in SkyMiles had time during all this downtime to secretly decimate the award program (again). Loyalty rewarded? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html
That's the most insane part of all this. During a complete operational meltdown (when will the press pick up on this) they had time to do that.
Speechless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.