Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Great explanation about Crew Tracking & Scheduling and what went wrong: Post #590

[Feel free to edit / add to the timeline of DL events.]

First waver ATL only and only 5-7 and by 11th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170406...perations.html

Second waver "all" hubs and 5-9 and by 16th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170407...perations.html

April 6th COO Gil West apology and blames "unprecedented" ( 5 hour ) storm / weather: http://news.delta.com/chief-operatin...cedented-storm

April 7 & 8 Five things to know list: http://news.delta.com/5-things-custo...tions-saturday

April 7th In midst of service fail Delta devalues SkyMiles with partners: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html

April 8th updates on operations: http://news.delta.com/operational-re...ontinues-today

April 12th will be $DAL earnings live and should yield more info: http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...s/default.aspx

April 9, 11:40 PM (EDT): What appears to be the last cancellation of the meltdown was made for DL2682/10Apr BOS-LGA (717 aircraft)

April 11th - Delta begins to pay out compensation for impacted travelers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html

Other coverage of the event:

Pilots board relating to this epic fail: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...-atl-irop.html

Factors compounding delays/cancellations:
  • Weather in ATL April 5
  • DL terminating interline with AA
  • Delta's systems crashing/overloaded
  • DL's crew scheduling system crashed [rumor?]
  • Rumored short-term power outage in ATL A concourse caused by airport construction some time around Tuesday-Wednesday

Current delay statistics: Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics

News coverage:

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Has Canceled Thousands Of Flights And Everyone Is In Hell - No spring break is safe. (Posted on April 7, 2017, at 11:59 a.m.)

The Southampton Press: Cancelled Flight Dashes Disney Dream For Hampton Bays Marching Band (April 7, 2017 11:30 AM)

USA Today: Thousands of Delta flights canceled days after storms (Published 8:53 a.m. ET April 8, 2017)

CNN - Delta meltdown: Pilots are on hold, too (Updated 6:52 PM ET, Sat April 8, 2017)

The Wall Street Journal - Delta Struggles to Recover From Last Week’s Storms (April 9, 2017 12:23 p.m. ET)

AJC.com: Delta woes stretch into Sunday with more cancellations (11:57 a.m. Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Why one day of thunderstorms turned into a five-day Delta meltdown (12:01 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

Detroit Free Press: Headaches continue for Delta fliers in Detroit (Published 2:26 p.m. ET April 9, 2017 Updated 5:54 p.m. ET April 9, 2017)

CNN - Delta tries to 'normalize' as flight cancellations continue (Updated 4:06 PM ET, Sun April 9, 2017)

New York Times: Storms, Though Over, Still Disrupt Delta Flights (APRIL 9, 2017)

NewsChannel5.com - Nashville Man's Body Stranded After Delta Flight Chaos (4:24 PM April 9, 2017)

CBS North Carolina: Raleigh parents upset after son’s body stranded during Delta flight chaos (April 9, 2017, 8:14 pm Updated: April 10, 2017, 5:35 am)

AJC.com: Delta reassures customers as delays continue through weekend (5:53 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Hundreds of stranded bags left at Hartsfield-Jackson in aftermath of Delta flight cancellations (9:29 a.m. Monday, April 10, 2017)

Bloomberg: Delta Delays Drag On, Testing Passengers' Patience (April 9, 2017, 4:10 PM EDT Updated On April 10, 2017, 10:13 AM EDT)

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Suffered "Failure of Crew Tracking Systems" During Cancelled Flight Fiasco - "I feel like we are lost in the system." (Originally posted on April 11, 2017, at 3:28 p.m. Updated on April 12, 2017, at 10:38 a.m. )

Reuters (posted on BusinessInsider): Delta's profit drops 36.3% (Apr. 12, 2017, 7:20 AM)

AJC.com - Accused child rapist caught at airport when flight is delayed (7:39 p.m Thursday, April 13, 2017)
Print Wikipost

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Originally Posted by heckler
It would be shear misery to be flying TATL (or worse, TPAC), then landing in the US 14 jet lagged hours later - only to confront the mass of humanity/chaos which many DL hubs are experiencing..
That was me on Thursday. I'd flown a 6.5 hour flight, another 12 hour flight and then landed in Atlanta in the middle of chaos. We had no idea what we were walking into. The pilot announced that we were in a holding position due to weather but we still landed on time. I got off the plane, turned on my phone and the alerts started going off.

I had no idea that I would still be in that airport almost 24 hours later.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:37 pm

I think it's simply that their ops are too fine tuned to 'averages' of conditions. They had two large severe weather events in ATL this past week and spring break for public schools in the Atlanta metro and many other places (including the Minneapolis and Detroit metros). So with several of their hubs on K12 spring break, DL was probably close to capacity for the week regardless and then you got two major disruptions which threw everything out of whack.

In some countries they try to avoid the travel nightmares caused by too many places having school breaks around the same time by enforcing staggered dates. Maybe that's something to consider as well.

Is it possible for an airline to maintain enough excess capacity to effortlessly cover for extraordinary circumstances on peak travel dates? Probably not. Should it take 4-5 days to recover? Probably not. The question is then really why their systems have not been able to re-arrange flight and staff schedules within a shorter time period.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Is it possible for an airline to maintain enough excess capacity to effortlessly cover for extraordinary circumstances on peak travel dates? Probably not. Should it take 4-5 days to recover? Probably not. The question is then really why their systems have not been able to re-arrange flight and staff schedules within a shorter time period.

Of course they're not going to be able to handle this effortlessly, but the lack of preparation definitely made it worse. If they had started with proper waivers for the storm (which was forecasted) it might have gone a long way to avoid the situation we're in right now.

It sounds suspiciously that there is a 'perfect storm' of weather + IT problems that are causing the problems to extend this far, but that's not comforting to people who are depending on DL to get them where they need to go.

Given that they know far in advance what their approximate loads are going to be around spring break season, you'd think they would have tried to address potential storms as far in advance as possible.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
I'm delayed in ATL on DL2599 to BNA. We are delayed because we don't have flight attendants, and the gate agent just told us their scheduling system went down.

Those hypothesizing a yet-to-be-announced IT issue seem to be spot on. What a disaster. I'll be requesting a status match from American next week.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:17 pm

I had the GA tell us yesterday that ops was telling him they were waiting for crew for our pilot and plane sitting st BWI. When asked where they were coming from, he said it couldn't be from any scheduled incoming flights and when he asked ops they had no idea. They were just telling him what to say. The flight was cancelled two hours later.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Life Plat, HHonors DM
Delayed by 90 minutes in Denver. SkyClub had a line of 5 people, 2 check in agents, diligently working on rebooking 2 pax. I just walked in. Agents didn't even look up. No seats open and staff were bringing in hard chairs to sit in. #Deltafail
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by dafunk10
I'm delayed in ATL on DL2599 to BNA. We are delayed because we don't have flight attendants, and the gate agent just told us their scheduling system went down.

Those hypothesizing a yet-to-be-announced IT issue seem to be spot on. What a disaster. I'll be requesting a status match from American next week.
I read your earlier post about your journey. Was car rental not an option? Richmond- Nashville is about 10h by car. Not optimal but you'd have been back by early Thursday.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by dafunk10
Megabus has $35 seats available on tomorrow's 6 AM and 3:10 PM departures from Atlanta, GA , MARTA Civic Center - 435 W Peachtree St NW.... they operate to East Side of 5th Ave N between Gay St and Charlotte Ave in Nashville.

For $35, I suggest buying one for insurance.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by MinnTee
Delayed by 90 minutes in Denver. SkyClub had a line of 5 people, 2 check in agents, diligently working on rebooking 2 pax. I just walked in. Agents didn't even look up. No seats open and staff were bringing in hard chairs to sit in. #Deltafail
sounds like you got off easy (assuming the 90min delay doesn't get worse).
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
It appears the crew scheduling system crashed so my idea of how to fix this mess is probably not viable but what I was thinking after a day of this mess was you have 2 very good and in some cases underutilized hubs in MSP and DTW and you have planes at outstations that can't get back to ATL with probably many connecting passengers why not just re-schedule those planes to these hubs and then onward and then rotate them overnight on deadheads back to ATL maybe even routing those passengers who Atlanta is destination on these planes. For example. Instead of a plane that's in OKC that can't get to Atlanta route it to DTW then somewhere else to get it back in rotation or back to Atlanta via overnight deadhead. Get passengers with connections to another hub where they might have a chance of getting to where they need to be. This was a complete mess and was handled worse than either of the 2 computer meltdowns.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by kss5555
It appears the crew scheduling system crashed so my idea of how to fix this mess is probably not viable but what I was thinking after a day of this mess was you have 2 very good and in some cases underutilized hubs in MSP and DTW and you have planes at outstations that can't get back to ATL with probably many connecting passengers why not just re-schedule those planes to these hubs and then onward and then rotate them overnight on deadheads back to ATL maybe even routing those passengers who Atlanta is destination on these planes. For example. Instead of a plane that's in OKC that can't get to Atlanta route it to DTW then somewhere else to get it back in rotation or back to Atlanta via overnight deadhead. Get passengers with connections to another hub where they might have a chance of getting to where they need to be. This was a complete mess and was handled worse than either of the 2 computer meltdowns.
It's an interesting idea and may work in some situations. However, ATL is so big a part of the DL system, I understand there are folks stranded at other hubs due to cascading cancelations as well. The brunt of the stranded travelers may be at ATL (I'm assuming, I don't know that for fact) but I think the impact is being felt at MSP and DTW as well.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
I am monitoring the flight that they put my boyfriend on today (ATL-STL, he opted to drive yesterday). We never confirmed the new flight nor has he checked in. They finally offloaded him from the flight and the flight left.

Clearly there has been no one to help in retrieving his bag. Track my bag shoes that it was loaded onto the plane, but is delayed. We are hoping that they did not offload his bag when they cancelled his ticket. The luggage phone number has some platitudes about weather delays and then hangs up on you. He will probably go to the STL airport this evening and file a baggage claim if it doesn't arrive. Maybe they will be able to deliver it to him sometime in the next two weeks.

Really glad that this thread existed yesterday as we were able to quickly make the decision for him to get a car and drive, instead of waiting around for a day(s) at the airport. Really glad that his flight home is on Frontier!
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by heckler
DL rebooked me on PNS-DFW-LAS, United.
Seems like AA because of DFW. You sure you didn't mean DEN or IAH?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Life Plat, HHonors DM
Originally Posted by MinnTee
Someone just took the desk type chair from behind the agent desk to sit on. There are no charging stations open and all plug ins are taken or perhaps hidden by multiple bags, backpacks, people, etc. Despite all this, it is actually quite pleasant here. Staff are replenishing food and drinks as soon as they are low.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Seems like AA because of DFW. You sure you didn't mean DEN or IAH?
Yes, my mistake.. IAH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.