Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Great explanation about Crew Tracking & Scheduling and what went wrong: Post #590

[Feel free to edit / add to the timeline of DL events.]

First waver ATL only and only 5-7 and by 11th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170406...perations.html

Second waver "all" hubs and 5-9 and by 16th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170407...perations.html

April 6th COO Gil West apology and blames "unprecedented" ( 5 hour ) storm / weather: http://news.delta.com/chief-operatin...cedented-storm

April 7 & 8 Five things to know list: http://news.delta.com/5-things-custo...tions-saturday

April 7th In midst of service fail Delta devalues SkyMiles with partners: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html

April 8th updates on operations: http://news.delta.com/operational-re...ontinues-today

April 12th will be $DAL earnings live and should yield more info: http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...s/default.aspx

April 9, 11:40 PM (EDT): What appears to be the last cancellation of the meltdown was made for DL2682/10Apr BOS-LGA (717 aircraft)

April 11th - Delta begins to pay out compensation for impacted travelers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html

Other coverage of the event:

Pilots board relating to this epic fail: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...-atl-irop.html

Factors compounding delays/cancellations:
  • Weather in ATL April 5
  • DL terminating interline with AA
  • Delta's systems crashing/overloaded
  • DL's crew scheduling system crashed [rumor?]
  • Rumored short-term power outage in ATL A concourse caused by airport construction some time around Tuesday-Wednesday

Current delay statistics: Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics

News coverage:

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Has Canceled Thousands Of Flights And Everyone Is In Hell - No spring break is safe. (Posted on April 7, 2017, at 11:59 a.m.)

The Southampton Press: Cancelled Flight Dashes Disney Dream For Hampton Bays Marching Band (April 7, 2017 11:30 AM)

USA Today: Thousands of Delta flights canceled days after storms (Published 8:53 a.m. ET April 8, 2017)

CNN - Delta meltdown: Pilots are on hold, too (Updated 6:52 PM ET, Sat April 8, 2017)

The Wall Street Journal - Delta Struggles to Recover From Last Week’s Storms (April 9, 2017 12:23 p.m. ET)

AJC.com: Delta woes stretch into Sunday with more cancellations (11:57 a.m. Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Why one day of thunderstorms turned into a five-day Delta meltdown (12:01 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

Detroit Free Press: Headaches continue for Delta fliers in Detroit (Published 2:26 p.m. ET April 9, 2017 Updated 5:54 p.m. ET April 9, 2017)

CNN - Delta tries to 'normalize' as flight cancellations continue (Updated 4:06 PM ET, Sun April 9, 2017)

New York Times: Storms, Though Over, Still Disrupt Delta Flights (APRIL 9, 2017)

NewsChannel5.com - Nashville Man's Body Stranded After Delta Flight Chaos (4:24 PM April 9, 2017)

CBS North Carolina: Raleigh parents upset after son’s body stranded during Delta flight chaos (April 9, 2017, 8:14 pm Updated: April 10, 2017, 5:35 am)

AJC.com: Delta reassures customers as delays continue through weekend (5:53 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Hundreds of stranded bags left at Hartsfield-Jackson in aftermath of Delta flight cancellations (9:29 a.m. Monday, April 10, 2017)

Bloomberg: Delta Delays Drag On, Testing Passengers' Patience (April 9, 2017, 4:10 PM EDT Updated On April 10, 2017, 10:13 AM EDT)

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Suffered "Failure of Crew Tracking Systems" During Cancelled Flight Fiasco - "I feel like we are lost in the system." (Originally posted on April 11, 2017, at 3:28 p.m. Updated on April 12, 2017, at 10:38 a.m. )

Reuters (posted on BusinessInsider): Delta's profit drops 36.3% (Apr. 12, 2017, 7:20 AM)

AJC.com - Accused child rapist caught at airport when flight is delayed (7:39 p.m Thursday, April 13, 2017)
Print Wikipost

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
At SFO and it's just as much of a mess here. SFO-MSP delayed 5 hours so far. Waited over an hour in the SP line to check luggage. Not really expecting to get out. Kind of wish they would just cancel so I could have a legit excuse not to travel and get my refund and go on with my day.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by berliner5000
Yes probably because the backlog and delays stem directly from the weather in ATL and elsewhere.
It's BS they get to do that.
this is operational failure at this point imo.

In MSP and feel bad for a few of the novice travelers telling their story.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:11 am

DCA is a complete cluster xxxx. Crews timing out right and left. Planes sat in fine weather with pilots but no crews. Flights cancelled after 8 hr delays. Lines for rebooking 100 people long. Medallion lines unreachable. First confirmable flights Sunday morning after a Thursday cancellation. I don't know what is going on but this is the worst handling of a single weather event I have ever seen.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
This is about as bad as it could get. If the system rebooks me one more time I'm going to scream.

I was set to go JAN>ATL>MSN today at 4:53 PM arr 9:XX PM.

1. The JAN>ATL portion was delayed such that I'd miss connection. They rebooked everything to TOMORROW NIGHT
2. I Twitter'd and said I'd drive from JAN>ATL and so put me back on MSN>ATL tonight (I'm on a paid 1st ticket) and she said she could only do standby
3. I then got magically rebooked on a 4:00 PM flight from JAN>ATL which would allow me to possibly make connection to MSN
4. I then got a notice that the 4:00 PM flight was actually leaving at 12:30 PM (notice rec'd at 12:07 PM and I'm 20 minutes from airport). It turned out it was the 9:40 AM plane that was cancelled and apparently they put it back on, first at 4:00 PM and then at 12:30 PM
5. When they put me on the 4:00 PM/12:30 PM JAN>ATL flight, it dropped both today's (standby) and tomorrow's (confirmed) ATL>MSN flight

So I now essentially have no flights booked to get home and a 4 hour delay on the Platinum line. I had tried to buy a UA flight at 12:30 direct to O'hare and when I clicked "Purchase", someone else had bought the last seat

I'm honestly thinking of just taking the Amtrak City of New Orleans from Jackson to Chicago Union Station and renting a car there. I have a big event tomorrow night I'd really like to attend.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:12 am

Is there a way to check the reason for a cancellation?

I'm flying LAX-SLC tonight and we seem to be feeling some ripple effects from this. Looking at all flights on this route today, one has been cancelled and one has a 4+ hour delay. Neither of those are my aircraft, but my aircraft (if flightaware is accurate) had it's first flight today cancelled. I'm wondering if it was just out of position and will be in LAX by tonight or if I need to worry about a mechanical delay. It's the last flight of the day so if I need to be making alternate plans I'd rather know sooner than later, obviously.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:13 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
That's what happens when you refuse to completely shut operations down, and instead run flight 8, 10, 12 hours late. Crews end up timing out, airplanes are in the wrong places and people aren't where they need to be either.
That is exactly why I drove home Wed evening from Fort Meyers....my gut was telling me that things were going to be messed up for days.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
My boyfriend was flying MCO-ATL-STL this morning. While he was enroute to ATL, his ATL-STL flight was cancelled. He wasn't rebooked until tomorrow night. He finally rented a car and drove as he had to be there tonight and will probably make it with an hour to spare. He said that the lines in ATL were incredibly long and they weren't moving at all.

He had checked a bag which is still sitting in ATL, so we are trying to figure out how he is going to get his bag. At this point, he is planning to get a claim number from the STL baggage claim and try to get the bag delivered when it arrives in STL.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by EZE
New York remains in bad shape too. Delta line didn't pick up this morning when I tried from about 8-9am. Hold times of over an hour for DM but down significantly from yesterday. Agents doing a great job once you get through.
What do you mean by New York being in bad shape still?

I'm asking because I have RDU-JFK tomorrow, operated by GoJet. I wouldn't expect that segment to be affected by ATL operational issues, but...
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by WWads
Thanks for the perspective. Is there any way that DL could create a simplified system for more mundane tasks? How much complexity is required for rebookings?
I suppse its theorectically possible. But the complexity often involves manually reissuing tickets that have been exchanged 2, 3, 4 times already.

In addition to that its knowing the ever changing route network. Anyone could pull up a fare display that is really only going to show connections at regular hubs.

It takes a lot of repetition to remember the Saturday only service MCI to MCO or the CMH to RDU to really be able to effectively piece something together.

Or if off lining remembering that it can't be a codeshare and it has to be in Y class, and remembering where to find the OA locator, or which airlines need to be long sold vs just selected.

So it's not so much the system is complicated but the actual knowledge base you have to have of the network is complicated and there really isn't a way to simplify.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeats
I suppse its theorectically possible. But the complexity often involves manually reissuing tickets that have been exchanged 2, 3, 4 times already.

In addition to that its knowing the ever changing route network. Anyone could pull up a fare display that is really only going to show connections at regular hubs.

It takes a lot of repetition to remember the Saturday only service MCI to MCO or the CMH to RDU to really be able to effectively piece something together.

Or if off lining remembering that it can't be a codeshare and it has to be in Y class, and remembering where to find the OA locator, or which airlines need to be long sold vs just selected.

So it's not so much the system is complicated but the actual knowledge base you have to have of the network is complicated and there really isn't a way to simplify.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Maybe DL will hire me part-time. I know a lot of that stuff haha, and am pretty good with computers.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
I feel sorry for y'all. I was in Boston last night and saw the DL help desk line. A mile long! (I had two AA flights cancel, then switched to WN. Hence, why I was in terminal A). I have three team members all on DL yesterday and today that have given up outright.

Is the general consensus Delta should have pre-canceled flights in order to have crews/planes ready to go for a quicker recovery? I would of thought that Delta, of all airlines, would have safeguards to stop operational meltdowns like this one.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
What do you mean by New York being in bad shape still?

I'm asking because I have RDU-JFK tomorrow, operated by GoJet. I wouldn't expect that segment to be affected by ATL operational issues, but...
LGA and JFK are still messy. They had their own round of storms yesterday, and the residual from ATL affects everybody.

However, you appear to be lucky with it being GoJet. Only four cancellations for them so far today, so mostly just delays today. If you were flying Endeavor, I'd be much more concerned. Dozens of LGA and JFK cancellations for them today.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
I am in the DCA Sky Club currently....picture is how the line into the club has been up until now, line in the Terminal for any sort of assistance is backed up halfway down the hall.....as much as I love Delta they REALLY butchered this up......most people in DCA club saying this is worse than a snow storm, its the worst I have ever seen it!

I wanted to get into the Sky Club for about 20 minutes earlier and after barely moving just gave up and went and found a gate with some empty seats.....came back about 20 minutes ago and didn't have to wait as long.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by palmetto86
Is the general consensus Delta should have pre-canceled flights in order to have crews/planes ready to go for a quicker recovery? I would of thought that Delta, of all airlines, would have safeguards to stop operational meltdowns like this one.
I don't think that they should've pre-cancelled flights based on the initial forecast.

BUT by the time the 2nd ground stop of the day hit ATL on Wednesday, they should've at least issued a waiver, instead of waiting until yesterday to issue it. At least then some people might've been able to completely avoid ATL, and still get to their destination on Wednesday, instead of having to wait until their flight eventually cancelled and then be among the mess of people trying to get rebooked after the fact.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by minnyfly
LGA and JFK are still messy. They had their own round of storms yesterday, and the residual from ATL affects everybody.

However, you appear to be lucky with it being GoJet. Only four cancellations for them so far today, so mostly just delays today. If you were flying Endeavor, I'd be much more concerned. Dozens of LGA and JFK cancellations for them today.
I've been keeping track of my flight on Flightaware, yesterday it was horribly late which I assume was weather related, before that it's been running fairly on time. Looks like the weather is improved today, and looks decent for tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.