Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Great explanation about Crew Tracking & Scheduling and what went wrong: Post #590

[Feel free to edit / add to the timeline of DL events.]

First waver ATL only and only 5-7 and by 11th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170406...perations.html

Second waver "all" hubs and 5-9 and by 16th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170407...perations.html

April 6th COO Gil West apology and blames "unprecedented" ( 5 hour ) storm / weather: http://news.delta.com/chief-operatin...cedented-storm

April 7 & 8 Five things to know list: http://news.delta.com/5-things-custo...tions-saturday

April 7th In midst of service fail Delta devalues SkyMiles with partners: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html

April 8th updates on operations: http://news.delta.com/operational-re...ontinues-today

April 12th will be $DAL earnings live and should yield more info: http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...s/default.aspx

April 9, 11:40 PM (EDT): What appears to be the last cancellation of the meltdown was made for DL2682/10Apr BOS-LGA (717 aircraft)

April 11th - Delta begins to pay out compensation for impacted travelers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html

Other coverage of the event:

Pilots board relating to this epic fail: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...-atl-irop.html

Factors compounding delays/cancellations:
  • Weather in ATL April 5
  • DL terminating interline with AA
  • Delta's systems crashing/overloaded
  • DL's crew scheduling system crashed [rumor?]
  • Rumored short-term power outage in ATL A concourse caused by airport construction some time around Tuesday-Wednesday

Current delay statistics: Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics

News coverage:

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Has Canceled Thousands Of Flights And Everyone Is In Hell - No spring break is safe. (Posted on April 7, 2017, at 11:59 a.m.)

The Southampton Press: Cancelled Flight Dashes Disney Dream For Hampton Bays Marching Band (April 7, 2017 11:30 AM)

USA Today: Thousands of Delta flights canceled days after storms (Published 8:53 a.m. ET April 8, 2017)

CNN - Delta meltdown: Pilots are on hold, too (Updated 6:52 PM ET, Sat April 8, 2017)

The Wall Street Journal - Delta Struggles to Recover From Last Week’s Storms (April 9, 2017 12:23 p.m. ET)

AJC.com: Delta woes stretch into Sunday with more cancellations (11:57 a.m. Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Why one day of thunderstorms turned into a five-day Delta meltdown (12:01 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

Detroit Free Press: Headaches continue for Delta fliers in Detroit (Published 2:26 p.m. ET April 9, 2017 Updated 5:54 p.m. ET April 9, 2017)

CNN - Delta tries to 'normalize' as flight cancellations continue (Updated 4:06 PM ET, Sun April 9, 2017)

New York Times: Storms, Though Over, Still Disrupt Delta Flights (APRIL 9, 2017)

NewsChannel5.com - Nashville Man's Body Stranded After Delta Flight Chaos (4:24 PM April 9, 2017)

CBS North Carolina: Raleigh parents upset after son’s body stranded during Delta flight chaos (April 9, 2017, 8:14 pm Updated: April 10, 2017, 5:35 am)

AJC.com: Delta reassures customers as delays continue through weekend (5:53 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Hundreds of stranded bags left at Hartsfield-Jackson in aftermath of Delta flight cancellations (9:29 a.m. Monday, April 10, 2017)

Bloomberg: Delta Delays Drag On, Testing Passengers' Patience (April 9, 2017, 4:10 PM EDT Updated On April 10, 2017, 10:13 AM EDT)

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Suffered "Failure of Crew Tracking Systems" During Cancelled Flight Fiasco - "I feel like we are lost in the system." (Originally posted on April 11, 2017, at 3:28 p.m. Updated on April 12, 2017, at 10:38 a.m. )

Reuters (posted on BusinessInsider): Delta's profit drops 36.3% (Apr. 12, 2017, 7:20 AM)

AJC.com - Accused child rapist caught at airport when flight is delayed (7:39 p.m Thursday, April 13, 2017)
Print Wikipost

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Rossp1
The real issue for me here is how Delta constantly seems to brag about their customer service, yet when things really get tough, they fall flat on their face. Its easy to have great service when everything is running smooth! (Unlike the last few days obviously).
Of course. 1000 corporate HQ employees volunteering at the airport, paying double overtime to anyone who wants it, and having literally anyone who knows how to use DLTerm picking up phones is all they can do on the staffing front. I have no call center training but I was tasked with receiving calls from ATL during all downtime at work this week. It's an all hands on deck situation at the moment. Even the executives are on the front line. On the operations side, keeping track of crew scheduling is a challenge. It's easy to brag about good customer service when ops are smooth.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL PM
These last few days have been an absolute disaster for delta. This seems way worse than even the recent IT meltdowns.

avoiding hubs has proven to be the most reliable way to navigate this so far for us; crazy hold times and some persistence have paid off. But it has certainly been a long few days!

i don't understand how delta continues to cancel flights to/from hubs that are oversold by 10+ and expect this to get any better any time soon.

here was the scene at ATL Wednesday (all hotels sold out):
Name:  IMG_4120.JPG
Views: 683
Size:  285.0 KB

And this morning at DEN baggage (hundreds of bags, mostly from ATL and MSP, that presumably made it even though their owners did not):
Name:  IMG_4169.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  930.4 KB
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Cancellations starting to pile up for tomorrow already. I'd avoid at least the entire weekend if you can. This is a historic operational collapse we're watching unfold.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Someone needs to make an album of all these photos and send it to a few media outlets.

Feel free to use my photos of DCA from Thursday morning.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:52 pm

I actually think something else happened here that DL isn't disclosing. Nothing in the press indicates this was a "storm of the century". It was just a routine spring thunderstorm in Atlanta.

Something doesn't pass the smell test.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
I actually think something else happened here that DL isn't disclosing. Nothing in the press indicates this was a "storm of the century". It was just a routine spring thunderstorm in Atlanta.

Something doesn't pass the smell test.
The storms were particularly bad, and shut ATL down for almost all of Wednesday. WX at other hubs didn't help either. Still, you're right, something seems off here. Storms are nothing new, and spring/summer comes every year.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Widgets
Of course. 1000 corporate HQ employees volunteering at the airport, paying double overtime to anyone who wants it, and having literally anyone who knows how to use DLTerm picking up phones is all they can do on the staffing front. I have no call center training but I was tasked with receiving calls from ATL during all downtime at work this week. It's an all hands on deck situation at the moment. Even the executives are on the front line. On the operations side, keeping track of crew scheduling is a challenge. It's easy to brag about good customer service when ops are smooth.
Delta gets an F this week.
hopefuily they learn from their mistakes.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Gold, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Widgets
You are confusing effort with results. The effort from DL employees is there. I have seen and heard it first hand. But the results arent. Cancellations are still continuing. DL employees can work 24 hours a day rebooking people, but if the planes dont fly, it wont matter. From an outside perspective it appears as though there has been no pre-planning for something like this, and also that the support infrastructure is severely limited.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:06 pm

You are confusing effort with results. The effort from DL employees is there. I have seen and heard it first hand. But the results arent. Cancellations are still continuing. DL employees can work 24 hours a day rebooking people, but if the planes dont fly, it wont matter. From an outside perspective it appears as though there has been no pre-planning for something like this, and also that the support infrastructure is severally limited.
no, I agree with you. It's easy to brag when things go smooth. But when the .... hits the fan, silence. That's why bragging isn't good
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by WWads
Honestly there should be a point when the airlines have to provide compensation, even in weather events.
Originally Posted by arlflyer
It does sort of beg the question of when the extent of a "weather event" ends.

I mean, everything that happens in this world is a result of a "weather event", right? We're only here because of the asteroid that caused the extinction of dinosaurs and the rise of mammals...
I think the point at which the delay reason is logged as "crew delay" or "delayed inbound aircraft" is the point at which the blame shifts from being directly due to weather to being due to Delta's operational decisions. Once the delay reason is no longer "airport congestion" or "weather hold" or "ATC traffic," then everything else is something Delta has control over. (Unfortunately, Delta does not expose the internal reason for the flight delay, unlike UA, which lists it right on the flight status in the app or website, or like AS, who publishes that data to Sabre, which can then be retrieved with ExpertFlyer. But Delta employees can see it internally.)

It is entirely within Delta's power to hire and staff extra reserve crews and have them on hot standby both at hubs and at outstations. It's entirely within Delta's power to have extra aircraft available to fill in when other aircraft are out of place. It's entirely within Delta's power to change flight schedules and redirect aircraft through other hubs or bring aircraft from elsewhere in the route network to fill in the gaps created by the delayed/canceled flights. Heck, it's entirely and completely within Delta's ability and prerogative to scrap the entire idea of a hub-and-spoke network and operate their airline in a point-to-point fashion.

Delta of course does not do those things because those things are expensive. Paying extra crews and planes to sit around or to switch from a profitable hub-and-spoke model to a different model costs a lot of money. But the point is that those things are within Delta's control if Delta were willing to spend the money on them...so when those things that Delta has chosen to do (such as operate with bare minimum crews and push aircraft utilization to the max and place their entire network reliant on a few, massive fortress hubs like ATL and MSP) that negatively affect their network reliability but positively affect their bottom line then cause issues when the fit does hit the shan, my point is that Delta is then responsible for the decisions they've made and should be held accountable for those decisions and should then pay up when their customers start getting affected by those decisions.

Regardless of the above, though, I think that it is entirely fair to say that any crew/aircraft out-of-place delays occurring 24 or more hours after the end of the weather event that precipitated them should be considered independent of the weather event and thus compensated accordingly.

Last edited by jackal; Apr 7, 2017 at 9:13 pm
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:09 pm

You are confusing effort with results. The effort from DL employees is there. I have seen and heard it first hand. But the results arent. Cancellations are still continuing. DL employees can work 24 hours a day rebooking people, but if the planes dont fly, it wont matter. From an outside perspective it appears as though there has been no pre-planning for something like this, and also that the support infrastructure is severally limited.
I mentioned previously that I rode on a shuttle full of DL pilots at DCA Wednesday night. They said that they had no idea when they were getting out the next day.

Sounds like there was a meltdown on the crew scheduling/communication side. It's bananas that a third of the DCA-ATL schedule was cancelled today.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL PM
You are confusing effort with results. The effort from DL employees is there. I have seen and heard it first hand. But the results arent. Cancellations are still continuing. DL employees can work 24 hours a day rebooking people, but if the planes dont fly, it wont matter. From an outside perspective it appears as though there has been no pre-planning for something like this, and also that the support infrastructure is severely limited.
exactly. Employees I've gotten on the phone (after several hours of holding, even as a DM) have been doing everything in their power to accommodate. Problem is, all the flights are full. And even once rebooked on something viable, lots of these flights are being delayed and/or cancelled.

delays and cancellations due to crews timing out, mispositioned aircraft, etc are still stacking up. They are not out of this mess yet, not by a long shot!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by appleguru
exactly. Employees I've gotten on the phone (after several hours of holding, even as a DM) have been doing everything in their power to accommodate. Problem is, all the flights are full. And even once rebooked on something viable, lots of these flights are being delayed and/or cancelled.

delays and cancellations due to crews timing out, mispositioned aircraft, etc are still stacking up. They are not out of this mess yet, not by a long shot!
I'm just floating this, but how problematic would it be for the FAA to consider loosening pilot timing rules during these sorts of situations? Could something like that be safely done?

DOT has similar measures for truck drivers, although a plane is obviously on an entirely different level.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:21 pm

If this thread title should encompass the whole IROP situation, that 300 cancellation count should be multiplied by about 10 at this point
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
I'm just floating this, but how problematic would it be for the FAA to consider loosening pilot timing rules during these sorts of situations? Could something like that be safely done?
No. If such a provision were made, suddenly every airline would be having "emergencies" every week to squeeze more time out of the pilots. There's already a huge, underappreciated problem with pilot fatigue out there.

Let's not....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.