Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2016, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
if you buy an F fare, than you should automatically have the option to pre-order. You spent the money on the F fare, you deserve a decent meal. If you bought a coach fare and got upgraded one way or another, then choosing a meal should be in the trip extra section of the itin. You want a decent meal in F but you paid for Y, then pay for it or get whats left on the cart. Plain and simple. I would have no problem with this.

This is not the 90's anymore. To many people still have that entitlement attitude.
Delta advertises "Free First Class Upgrades" not "Free Upgrades to Something Almost As Good As First Class". I can accept them providing last choice of First Class meals to someone who gets a medallion upgrade, but if they don't provide the meal then it isn't First Class and they need to change their advertising.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by sethb
Delta advertises "Free First Class Upgrades" not "Free Upgrades to Something Almost As Good As First Class". I can accept them providing last choice of First Class meals to someone who gets a medallion upgrade, but if they don't provide the meal then it isn't First Class and they need to change their advertising.
I'm not saying your not going to get a meal, but if you pay for F, then you get a choice before hand. If you bought a T ticket and you get upgraded, than you get what options are left and if you don't like whats left, you don't eat. The other option would be to pay for a decent meal in the Delta trip options section of My Itineraries. I think that is very fair and I would have no problem doing that myself.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I'm not saying your not going to get a meal, but if you pay for F, then you get a choice before hand. If you bought a T ticket and you get upgraded, than you get what options are left and if you don't like whats left, you don't eat. The other option would be to pay for a decent meal in the Delta trip options section of My Itineraries. I think that is very fair and I would have no problem doing that myself.
If what you're suggesting is that paid F get their choices before medallion upgrades, that's fine. I'd even let them choose first if they didn't select in advance (e.g. SDC or just lazy).
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
If what you're suggesting is that paid F get their choices before medallion upgrades, that's fine. I'd even let them choose first if they didn't select in advance (e.g. SDC or just lazy).
that should definitely be the case.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Very glad to hear this, it's one of the greatest perks about flying American in First or Business. I do hope it can be implemented close in to departure though. On AA you can't select less than 24 hours from departure which as a mere Gold, has made it so I can never select a meal when I've upgraded a flight.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
Very glad to hear this, it's one of the greatest perks about flying American in First or Business. I do hope it can be implemented close in to departure though. On AA you can't select less than 24 hours from departure which as a mere Gold, has made it so I can never select a meal when I've upgraded a flight.
to an extent, you can pre-order meals in J on international Delta flights. In fact, anytime I am flying to or through NRT in J, I always pre-order the Japanese meal because they always run out. When folks get upset over this, the FA always tells them that pre-ordering your meal will guarantee you get what you want. I guess a lot of people still aren't aware of that.

Now, as far as pre-ordering domestic meals, not a deal breaker for me as long as if I pay for F, I get first choice and that the poor slob who paid for a T fare and got upgraded doesn't get first selection over me
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
to an extent, you can pre-order meals in J on international Delta flights. In fact, anytime I am flying to or through NRT in J, I always pre-order the Japanese meal because they always run out.
This only works for the Japanese meals on flights that offer it. For other routes, you can order special meals, but you still have no idea what you are getting, you just know that it will meat the standards of that special meal. It would be really amazing if Delta actually let you see the specific entrees for all of the special meals. Right now you can order "asian vegetarian" and you might get a really nice curry and rice dish, or you might get semi-stale & dry bread with soggy roasted vegetables.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
...it will meat the standards of that special meal...
Unless it's a vegetarian meal.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
For the over-entitled here, you will like thus suggestion:

Those who pay for F at least 24 hrs in advance, will get a choice of a premium entree of steak, seafood, or chicken. Those upgraded or anyone else who booked / were comp upgraded inside 24 hrs will get a PB&J sandwich. No choice inside 24 hours.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy

Those who pay for F at least 24 hrs in advance, will get a choice of a premium entree of steak, seafood, or chicken. Those upgraded or anyone else who booked / were comp upgraded inside 24 hrs will get a PB&J sandwich. No choice inside 24 hours.
And if you have a comp upgrade within 24 hrs you have to cook the food and serve everyone else in first....you gotta earn that free upgrade
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

It would look tacky for DL to serve obviously different quality meals in FC/D1 depending on how the passenger got into the premium cabin. Currently DL doesn't even do this to nonrevs. In fact, I basically like the idea of FAs not knowing who paid for a premium cabin ticket and who was upgraded (and on what basis).

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 28, 2016 at 10:37 pm Reason: autocorrect: quality, not qualify
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime

Sadly, a PB&J sandwich would be an improvement over many domestic First meals.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Howste
Unless it's a vegetarian meal.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I would prefer a PB&J sandwich to macaroni and fake cheese.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dzflyer
And if you have a comp upgrade within 24 hrs you have to cook the food and serve everyone else in first....you gotta earn that free upgrade
Will this be sort of like the onboard chef system EY uses? I do like this idea. It would be great to see the upgraded elites spring into action at 10,000ft and start preparing something palatable. Perhaps with all the extra hands they could add meals to flights in the 400-900 mile window..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.