Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2016, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Furthermore, most pax who get complimentary upgrades have paid for them by spending enough money to earn elite status.
Doubt it. Most pax with elite statuses have not spent their own money to achieve that status, their company/business shelled out the funds.

Not saying the status is not deserved for the time spent in an airline seat, but those statuses were not often funded from personal accounts.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by susanc
Doubt it. Most pax with elite statuses have not spent their own money to achieve that status, their company/business shelled out the funds.

Not saying the status is not deserved for the time spent in an airline seat, but those statuses were not often funded from personal accounts.
Are you saying that DL cares where the money came from?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Howste
Are you saying that DL cares where the money came from?
Nope. That is not what I was implying at all.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:19 am

Nope. That is not what I was implying at all.
Then I fail to see how the comments "have not spent their own money" and "not often funded from personal accounts" are relevant to the discussion. What was the point you were trying to make?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:42 am

I agree with DL2SXM's point. Jdrtravel's counterpoint is travelers with elite status have paid for many tickets therefore deserve the same treatment in an upgrade situation as a paid ticket. I disagree with the statement that most elites paid for their own tickets. True, no difference to Delta. But, it is thrown out there often from elites ,"I have paid for my status". A small point to you perhaps, but for those actual paying for J or F service to receive less than someone paying for Y it is not.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:22 am

People like to have things that benefit them. People who pay for First Class tickets (with their own money or someone else's money) feel entitled to something special because that's what DL told them. People who paid for Coach tickets (with their own money or someone else's money) and get upgraded to First Class also feel entitled to something special because that's what DL told them.

If you read the DL domestic contract of carriage (CoC), it says DL will get them from point A to point B in a class of service. Nowhere in the CoC does it say that they will get a meal, or if they get a meal that they get to choose which meal. While the CoC does show a priority for IDB, it does not show a priority for meal choices. Meals and cabin services are all governed by DL's internal policies. We can all have our own opinions about what is right and fair, but DL gets to set and implement (sometimes poorly) their own policies. If DL policy says I get the same service in FC whether I paid for FC or Coach (with my own money or someones else's money) then that's what I should get.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I agree with DL2SXM's point. Jdrtravel's counterpoint is travelers with elite status have paid for many tickets therefore deserve the same treatment in an upgrade situation as a paid ticket. I disagree with the statement that most elites paid for their own tickets. True, no difference to Delta. But, it is thrown out there often from elites ,"I have paid for my status". A small point to you perhaps, but for those actual paying for J or F service to receive less than someone paying for Y it is not.
My point is that elites have driven dollars towards Delta. It may be company dollars, but in many cases the elite passenger still had a choice of airline and choose Delta. This is exactly what Delta wants and what loyalty programs are designed to award. Delta is well aware that lots of pax are not paying with their own money. The loyalty program is targeted to the actual pax, not their employer, because in many cases it is the pax who decides which airline to fly. And yes, I think that all pax that are flying in a class of service together should get the same basic treatment, regardless of the method used to get to that cabin. Elite upgrades are not free gifts. They are, in fact, a pretty expensive product.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Delta soon to allow 1st class & D1 to preselect meal choice at booking

Are we really going to turn this into an OPM argument again?

I'm more interested in learning more about the mechanics of how this will work, esp. for SDCs, IRROPS, etc. What happens when 12 people in a 16F cabin have all ordered beef, and then 10 of them don't take that flight for whatever reason? Surely the catering must be locked in for that flight a few hours before departure, esp. at smaller airports.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by gooselee

I'm more interested in learning more about the mechanics of how this will work, esp. for SDCs, IRROPS, etc. What happens when 12 people in a 16F cabin have all ordered beef, and then 10 of them don't take that flight for whatever reason? Surely the catering must be locked in for that flight a few hours before departure, esp. at smaller airports.
Then 10 other people are getting beef. I don't really see this as an issue, it just reverts to the current system where you may or may not get your first choice. With pre-ordering, pax are highly likely to get their meal of choice under most circumstances, which is a major improvement.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 10:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Then 10 other people are getting beef. I don't really see this as an issue, it just reverts to the current system where you may or may not get your first choice. With pre-ordering, pax are highly likely to get their meal of choice under most circumstances, which is a major improvement.
Bingo!

Personally I would like to have the choice of any one item off the EATS menu if you do not like what is offered (ie you did not pre-order).

Then again, I liked that the HOOU could at least get you a snack box that is gone as well.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Renes Points
Bingo!

Personally I would like to have the choice of any one item off the EATS menu if you do not like what is offered (ie you did not pre-order).
This would make inventory management more difficult. They can't turn around and sell your F meal to a Y pax, so now there is increased food waste and lost profit. There is also an increased change of Y pax not being able to purchase something because it is run out. I know that occasionally some FA's will allow this, which is nice, but as an official policy it could get out of hand.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Renes Points
At least with AA, the benefit of pre-order is that you know what you are getting into menu-wise, after booking. Certainly helps to make the decision of ordering the meal or foregoing it and eating before or after the flight because AA never changes their menus.

I wouldn't expect DL to offer me something off the EATS menu simply because I didn't like the options in F. I sooner make a 'to go' box from the SkyClub. Moreover, what would it say about the F product DL is offering: we know our food isn't great so we'll make up for it with a complimentary can of Pringles?
Old Mar 27, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Can you as a passenger tell whether each and every passenger is traveling on a ticket they paid for or if that ticket was paid for by someone else? No, you can't. So stop worrying about it. And that's from someone who gets their status mostly from their own spend on leisure travel and not "OPM".
Old Mar 27, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

It's a concern - and one I even brought up upthread, but hopefully at worst your odds of getting a meal you don't want are about the same in IROPs/SDC/etc, as current or similar catering statistics will be used to load the meals for seats that don't have a selection, but your odds of getting the meal you want go up significantly with a pre-order option, so overall, I think this will work out better.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

If you pre-order and SDC, you become a non-pre-order passenger. Your original flight gets what it gets, and someone with a medallion upgrade gets whatever meal is left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.