Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I don't see whats so terrible about shelling out a few bucks via the Trip Extra's section on the delta website to upgrade your meal experience. Delta wouldn't be forcing you to buy into a better meal deal. Its very simple. Buy an F seat, get a decent meal. Buy a coach seat and wind up in F then you get whatever garbage is loaded on the food cart or use the Trip Extra's section to buy up your meal experience. I like the idea and on a route like JFK-SEA for which I can buy a sLUT fare for $300.00, I would most likely easily spend a few more dollars for an enhanced meal service.
My point is that DL could just as easily add a fee for ALL FC passengers (paid ticket, upgraded with instruments, free elite upgrade, OPUP, or nonrev) to purchase a meal. If you decline, you get nothing.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
A harsher stance than ME! I want to be your friend.
the more I think about it, the more I hope it happens. I think this out of all past enhancements would be beneficial to all. I think I will write a letter to Ed B, you never know!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
If Delta charges for food in FC, higher probability that it will be edible.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
the more I think about it, the more I hope it happens. I think this out of all past enhancements would be beneficial to all. I think I will write a letter to Ed B, you never know!
If it would lead to catering better than the upgrade class swill that so many "ooh" and "aah" over, I'd be all for it. For the love of everything holy, you can find a thread on Brownie Brittle on here with people fawning over that garbage. Nothing first class about it.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So you would have DL charge for snacks from the snack basket in FC as well as meals? Would you like an added fee for the optional hot towel too? What about the little paper cocktail napkin that comes with the snack and beverage service?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by bubbashow
A harsher stance than ME! I want to be your friend.
You two should get a room.

Originally Posted by Widgets
At least nonrevs have been able to preselect their meal choice for years. They just look at the menu and choose the worst option.
Ah, the rare person on this board that still has a sense of humour. ^ ^

Originally Posted by Renes Points
Sometime before or by Q416
Ah great, all this uproar over something that is six months away.

So I just booked a FC ticket HSV-LAX in May. On my Westbound leg to LAX, do I sit in the front or back of the cabin to get my choice?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So you would have DL charge for snacks from the snack basket in FC as well as meals? Would you like an added fee for the optional hot towel too? What about the little paper cocktail napkin that comes with the snack and beverage service?
But of course the answers are yes, yes, and yes.

And a surcharge for using the FC toilet, and of course the upcharge for Woodford Reserve. Which the Woodford is maybe getting more expensive since AAnother AAirline is now serving it.

David
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:19 pm

Odd or even flight number? DL is still supposed to follow FEBO on domestic narrow body flights, but YMMV.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Odd or even flight number? DL is still supposed to follow FEBO on domestic narrow body flights, but YMMV.
Odd. Domestic 767 outbound ATL-LAX, lie-flat 767 returning LAX-ATL but a redeye so no food even though you would think breakfast would be appropriate for an 8:04 a.m. arrival into ATL.

David
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:39 pm

I've never observed any consistency in how meal orders are done on odd numbered domestic 767 flights. Even for even flight numbers, it's YMMV after going down the left aisle.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by DCADeltaRoadWarrior
If Delta charges for food in FC, higher probability that it will be edible.
That does not correlate.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
The stockholders have to defend their dividends.

After all, a single PAX on the plane paying $50,000 is better than 100 PAX paying $500 each.

And, the $50,00 PAX is much more WORTHY (unless, of course, he/she is paying with OPM).

Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I just have to chime in that I am thrilled that Delta is moving to pre-ordering meals in FC, its really overdue, but I give them props for finally implementing
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Originally Posted by Miesque
I just have to chime in that I am thrilled that Delta is moving to pre-ordering meals in FC, its really overdue, but I give them props for finally implementing
I, for one, cannot wait to hear the whine threads.

I preselected beef shortribs but catering screwed up and I was offered the choice of chicken or pasta!!!!!! How many miles can I get for this travesty?! I AM OUTRAGED! DYKWIA?!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by HonoraryOrange
I, for one, cannot wait to hear the whine threads.
For a preview, please see AA threads: 2015 Let's Eat Forum, especially.

And the notorious linen debate:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...a-us-both.html

I know it may seem absurd, but AA really hosed it when they introduced this pre-select option, then removed it all together, then re-instated it rather inconsistently. I hope DL doesn't follow suit. Then again, the choice on AA was and always will be the beef and mac'n'cheese or some awful pasta dish. At least DL changes it up from time to time.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
After patiently reading through 192 posts, I have to say that this thread is one of the most hilarious ones that I've ever seen in the Delta forum!

2 "statistics experts" arguing with each other? Bubbashow finally finding someone he/she can agree with? The usual solid and thoughtful advice from MSP Economist? What MORE could anyone ask for to raise their amusement level to a NEW HIGH???

From personal experience, most FA's either don't know what FEBO is or they don't care. They just start at the front and work their way back to the last row of FC. Excluding international flights where the Purser seems to wander at random around the front cabin, taking orders from all rev. passengers before the NRSA's, I have only seen a DL/NW FA take orders starting at the back of the domestic FC Cabin one time in the last 30 years!

Yesterday, I received a comp UG for LAX-MSP. I was #4 on the stand-by list and they upgraded 4 people at the gate. There was no way for me to pre-order a meal if that option had even been available. All of the meals for my flight had already been stored in the galley, and I knew I would get whatever was "left over" when they got to me. Just my luck, I ended up in 5-D on a 737 and was almost the last one to have a choice between a hot pasta bowl (veg.) or a cold Asian Deli Plate with a cabbage/carrot/edamame salad and 3 slices of beef tenderloin on top of it. When they got to me, I ended up with the Asian plate, and so did the guy in 5-A and the woman in 5-C who both slept for the first 1.5 hours of a 3 hour flight. (Side note-the guy in 5-B declined the meal, but he would have gotten one of those Asian plates also!)

I noted which seats were upgraded at the gate, from the monitor there. 1-A got what he wanted since the FA did not follow FEBO on this odd numbered flight. I don't know about the guy in 4-A, but I do know that 3 of us in row 5 had "restricted choice" which equates to "like it or lump it!" Since I have found myself in that situation only 2 or 3 times in the past 30 years, I would say that the old system works pretty well, but I think that the new one will probably work BETTER!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.