Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
If I extrapolate from my poor experience with the bag tracking app, a request for a steak, medium rare, would yield the tofu surprise special meal with durian ice cream for desert.

Alright, alright; LOL! Fair enough. I'm just saying if an operationally pAAthetic carrier can offer this, I would think DL could too.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Given that, on my last flight DTW-SFO both myself and the diamond next to me did NOT get our special meals (VGML) and I asked the purser about them while we were still on the ground, and they were indeed listed on the paperwork, and when delta ground ops contacted gate gourmet (or whomever) to try to fix it before departure, apparently the response was "tough sugar", I can see that THIS will be a resounding success :-/
Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I'm not an IT person by any stretch of the imagination, but if DL can implement the bag tracking feature on the app; I don't see where the difficulty is in allowing pax to pre-select a meal which would be done ahead of time, rather than in real time. If any-thing, it would save on food costs once implemented. Execution aside, even AA offers this...
Originally Posted by MS02113
I imagine the catering logistics changes are more challenging to implement than the IT elements.

Also, I wouldn't expect pre-selection to save on meal costs, since the pre-selection won't be compulsory. That is, Delta will still provision a meal for each passenger even if they don't choose a meal in advance.
This^
IT has little to do with this - it's 1 mile on a 100 mile journey.
It's getting the catering houses the data on time and getting them to actually follow it.

The best analogy I can think of is right now the postman brings all your mail that is available every day. In the new system, you would send the mailman a different list of what mail to bring (or not) every day. It's a lot more time for the mailman now and an easy opportunity to make a mistake 365 new times a year.
Because right now, if your choice isn't available, oh well -- sh!t happens. But if you preselect your meal, and it shows on your phone what you picked, and then they don't have it -- people are going to be pissed and see this as 'broken' and 'incompetent', "I _TOLD THEM_ what I wanted!!! OMG"
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
If Delta were the first airline to try this I'd have more sympathy but this is old news. It's not just AA but several foreign carriers.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Delta considers itself to be the superior legacy airline, I don't see why they couldn't implement something AA has been doing for years?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
This needs to happen sooner rather than later. Went without lunch the other day since the only option left was disgusting.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:20 pm

Sitting in 3A on a 737-900 this evening - by definition the middle of the pack. FA comes to take my meal order and says that they are down to just one "choice".

Given that she started at the front, and that my neighbor in 3B also didn't get a choice, that means that a maximum of 10 orders could have been taken before ours. Does that mean that everyone in the first 2 rows *and* 3C&D all picked option A? And that us, and everyone behind us only had option B if they wanted to eat?

Mathematically, that seems really unlikely.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Sitting in 3A on a 737-900 this evening - by definition the middle of the pack. FA comes to take my meal order and says that they are down to just one "choice".

Given that she started at the front, and that my neighbor in 3B also didn't get a choice, that means that a maximum of 10 orders could have been taken before ours. Does that mean that everyone in the first 2 rows *and* 3C&D all picked option A? And that us, and everyone behind us only had option B if they wanted to eat?

Mathematically, that seems really unlikely.
Though the scenario is mathematically unlikely, I've witnessed it occur. While sitting in row three of an A319, I once overheard each of the first six passengers order short rib, leaving those in the back half with no choice but pasta.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:36 pm

Though the scenario is mathematically unlikely, I've witnessed it occur. While sitting in row three of an A319, I once overheard each of the first six passengers order short rib, leaving those in the back half with no choice but pasta.
Was it the vegetarian lasagne? I might have been on that flight with you! That sh*t was nasty! I had no idea that you could legally put that much eggplant into something and still call the dish something other than "eggplant"

And naturally, on that occasion I had a 30 minute connection at DTW where I came in on A8 and departed from A68 - so no time to explore other food options.

"Hey, it's a dinner flight - how bad could it be?"
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I imagine the catering logistics changes are more challenging to implement than the IT elements.
Catering logistics doesn't really even *have to* get involved. Take catering out of the picture altogether, and then what you have is the FA with a list of pre-selections. Then the remaining pax can order based on the # of remaining meals. AA requires meal selection at least 24 hours in advance, which means anyone whose upgrade clears after that can't be on the list. I suppose there could be times when the # of preorders for choice A are more than provisioned for, and they could just (1) warn people up front when they order that it's not guaranteed, or (2) program the IT so that the meal options are tied into the catering provision, so if there won't be any steaks left then you're only offered one choice on the preorder.

Frankly, I'm not sure if AA even incorporates catering logistics and adjusts meals supplied based on the preorders. Obviously that's the best way, but they could still get it done without.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Got an email about it for my SEA-ICN next week and I have no clue how to preselect based on their total lack of directions. All I see is my itinerary.

Sweet
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Got an email about it for my SEA-ICN next week and I have no clue how to preselect based on their total lack of directions. All I see is my itinerary.

Sweet
Please call and tweet DL so we can learn from your experience. I will be doing SEA-PEK next month and would like to utilize this enhancement.

I am currently in Brazil and would be delighted to pre-select for my GRU-DTW run next week.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota

Sweet
I have a feeling what you are seeing is the ability to pre-order the Korean meal, which has been around a while (and e-mails have been coming for a while) for this, Japanese, and Chinese meals.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
If Delta were the first airline to try this I'd have more sympathy but this is old news. It's not just AA but several foreign carriers.
Some foreign carriers such as SQ have been doing this for over a decade. In fact, business class passengers even on MH could preorder their meals from a long list of choices before MH became part of oneworld, which was more than about five years ago.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Catering logistics doesn't really even *have to* get involved. Take catering out of the picture altogether, and then what you have is the FA with a list of pre-selections. Then the remaining pax can order based on the # of remaining meals. AA requires meal selection at least 24 hours in advance, which means anyone whose upgrade clears after that can't be on the list. I suppose there could be times when the # of preorders for choice A are more than provisioned for, and they could just (1) warn people up front when they order that it's not guaranteed, or (2) program the IT so that the meal options are tied into the catering provision, so if there won't be any steaks left then you're only offered one choice on the preorder.
Frankly, it would be ridiculous to log on to Delta.com to make an advance meal selection and find only one option. Unless one's choice can be reasonably "guaranteed," Delta ought not even bother. Anything less would be a recipe for customer disappointment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.