Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
There are rosé champagnes/sparkling wines...
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
There are rosé champagnes/sparkling wines...
I generally think of rosé as being in the category of white wine. I know it's not, but in terms of food pairing it's not so different from the dryer whites that have forward minerality.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Well, talk about a topic that has gone way off course. In my favorite football team's forum the militant mods would have closed this and banned people for life already. lol
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Scott H
Well, talk about a topic that has gone way off course. In my favorite football team's forum the militant mods would have closed this and banned people for life already. lol
Well, what can we say... Best, mods on FT. Canarsie especially.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've had Italian reds at tastings that were slightly effervescent.

Also, there's sparkling burgundy if it's still being made, IIRC in upstate NY.

Please understand that I'm not recommending this stuff.
Many wines from Campagnia are bubbly to effervescent and some are rather enjoyable.

Now if DL could manage a pre-order of wines at booking, they'd get ALL of my bookings
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I actually have run into this salmon wine pairing problem in the air and it actually drives me nuts that they will serve salmon and have the red wine be Cabernet Sauvignon (or Merlot) and not a Pinot Noir which is fabulous with salmon, the prior two while great for steak or similar are way to tannic for salmon. As noted a rose Champagne also does well but I have unfortunately not been on a flight yet that served that.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Since we are on the wine topic, I have to vent. I am amazed at how many of the flight attendants seem to think all we or they need to know is red or white. I hate American Chardonnay, the in fact the only Chardonnay grapes I enjoy are White Burgundies. However I do like other white wines. I have asked what the white wine is and given a vague "I don't know, I think its Pinot Grigio" to which I responded, I will take a glass if that is what you have, but if it is Chardonnay I don't want it" Guess what I was served? I ended up ordering a Bloody Mary.

Also, along the red wine venting front. Not only have I been on flights had poor red wine pairings for Salmon but also the red sauce pasta dishes.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miesque
I actually have run into this salmon wine pairing problem in the air and it actually drives me nuts that they will serve salmon and have the red wine be Cabernet Sauvignon (or Merlot) and not a Pinot Noir which is fabulous with salmon,
Agreed. Salmon with Pinot Noir is a very Northwest US combination, and quite good. But I would never expect an airline to make a conscious decision about choosing which wines to load based on the meal choices. If it drives you nuts, perhaps you should go talk to someone.

Since we are on the wine topic, I have to vent. I am amazed at how many of the flight attendants seem to think all we or they need to know is red or white.
This certainly drives me nuts. I'll never forget one Continental int'l J flight years ago where I thought the FA was going to bite off my head when I asked for more details about the wines they had beyond "red" or "white.". Then she came back and virtually slammed the two bottles of red on my tray table and ran off.

Back on topic - meal pre-ordering is great. I have no idea if by not pre-ordering you adversely impact your options. Frankly, I don't think it mathematically/statistically can, unless you somehow always go for the more popular choice on a particular flight.
And while it is certainly optional for those too self-important to click an extra screen (or have their assistants do it), so is seat selection, but I don't hear anyone complaining about that.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Wait. What? They make red with bubbles? You are teasing me. That is called Dr. Pepper.
Some of my favorite wines are sparkling reds!

The sparkling red Chandon is really good. Had a REALLY good sparkling red on a Delta one flight to somewhere recently (PVG maybe?). I believe it was listed as a dessert wine. SO GOOD

Stewardess was amazing and kept bringing me refills. A+!!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by appleguru
Some of my favorite wines are sparkling reds!

The sparkling red Chandon is really good. Had a REALLY good sparkling red on a Delta one flight to somewhere recently (PVG maybe?). I believe it was listed as a dessert wine. SO GOOD

Stewardess was amazing and kept bringing me refills. A+!!
When you say stewardess, you've already had too many refills.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Since we are on the wine topic, I have to vent. I am amazed at how many of the flight attendants seem to think all we or they need to know is red or white. I hate American Chardonnay, the in fact the only Chardonnay grapes I enjoy are White Burgundies. However I do like other white wines. I have asked what the white wine is and given a vague "I don't know, I think its Pinot Grigio" to which I responded, I will take a glass if that is what you have, but if it is Chardonnay I don't want it" Guess what I was served? I ended up ordering a Bloody Mary.

Also, along the red wine venting front. Not only have I been on flights had poor red wine pairings for Salmon but also the red sauce pasta dishes.
I agree on wanting more specifics. I'm no wine expert and I don't care if the wine is relatively cheap on the price spectrum - but it still should be possible to describe it in a few simple terms so I can decide if I'd like it. "A balanced medium-bodied red blend from Washington" or "An American-style chardonnay from California" is all I'm asking for here - it really could be printed on an index card and slipped in the beverage carts for the F/As to have on hand. This isn't rocket science; somehow they manage to do it for Delta One...

As for the standard American Chardonnay - I agree with you. I thought I hated Chardonnay for years, having only tried heavy California examples. Then, a kind New Zealander in the Marlborough wine region went on a rant and accused me of being a blind member of the "ABC club" (Anything But Chardonnay); he pointed out how unique California's style is and convinced me to give the local Chardonnay a chance. Sure enough, I just dislike heavily oaked Cali style chardonnays - turns out most world wines made from the grape are actually right up my alley. Unfortunately, most hospitality white wines are exactly what I dislike...

Anyway, the real shock here shouldn't be the pairing - it should be that Rene was voluntarily drinking the awful "Winemaker's Red" that Delta has been serving in F. I'd literally rather have the 1.5L plastic bottle Merlot they serve in international Y than the domestic F wine, and that is a very sad state of affairs.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So you will drink the French Chardonnays? Have you tried the unoaked ones from California?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:59 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So you will drink the French Chardonnays? Have you tried the unoaked ones from California?
We're firmly in the throes of thread drift but I got a nice unoaked Chardonnay here once: http://dierbergvineyard.com/
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Getting back on topic... :-)

I broke down and reached out to the Delta PR food person and was told no new updates but that she would reach out as soon as there is word. So, we wait.... :-(
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by Renes Points
I broke down and reached out to the Delta PR food person and was told no new updates but that she would reach out as soon as there is word. So, we wait.... :-(
Cmon Renes make it happen! Maybe to time to do the end around and go straight to Ed. Lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.