Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
East/West or North/South. All eastbound flights go front to back for meal requests and all westbound flights go back to front (or vice versa, and similar for north/south.)
What happens when the flight is a NW/SE or SW/NE flight? Not like everything is a cut and dry cardinal direction.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 3:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
We have a better chance of getting our preferred meal if much of the cabin has pre-selected and Delta boarded meals based on that.
No, given that you haven't preselected, it's better for you if no one else has preselected either, assuming that DL loads meals in the proportions in which they're likely to be selected.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No, given that you haven't preselected, it's better for you if no one else has preselected either, assuming that DL loads meals in the proportions in which they're likely to be selected.
Why do you say that? Delta loads a surplus; if everyone else pre-selects, I'm guaranteed my choice. (Same if everyone else except one preselects.)

If 16 of 20 pre-select, and there are two meals, I only lose if (1) all 4 want the same choice (1/16 probability) AND (2) I'm the last to choose (1/4 probability) so net, I lose less than 2% of the time (1/64 probability).

If nobody preselects and Delta loads a surplus of one extra of each type, my chances of not getting what I want are much higher.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why do you say that? Delta loads a surplus; if everyone else pre-selects, I'm guaranteed my choice. (Same if everyone else except one preselects.)

If 16 of 20 pre-select, and there are two meals, I only lose if (1) all 4 want the same choice (1/16 probability) AND (2) I'm the last to choose (1/4 probability) so net, I lose less than 2% of the time (1/64 probability).

If nobody preselects and Delta loads a surplus of one extra of each type, my chances of not getting what I want are much higher.
On the domestic flights I take, there don't seem to be any surplus meals catered. Maybe this happens on longer flights, but since I'm located in flyover country, I don't have coast-to-coast flights.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Can we just keep it at that?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Nah, that wouldn't be any fun!
^ I love the banter - exactly how it should be - have fun and stay friends.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
I for one am really glad to have back the 12 seconds it takes to peruse the D1 menu and make a selection. Also, I'm glad that I won't have to obsess for days over whether they will run out of the apple crepes before they get to my seat on the morning flights. *rolling eyes*
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
^ I love the banter - exactly how it should be - have fun and stay friends.
LOL, my New Year's resolution. I'm doing so-so, there are some people (not part of this) that just consistently **** me off.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
What happens when the flight is a NW/SE or SW/NE flight? Not like everything is a cut and dry cardinal direction.
From the wiki on the AA page:

When an aircraft flight involves a change of time zones, take meal preferences:

. . . • Eastbound: from forward / front to aft /back
. . . • Westbound: from aft to forward

If the flight does not involve a change of any time zones, take meal preferences:

. . . • Southbound: from forward to aft
. . . • Northbound: from aft to forward

Personally, I thought FEBO made much more sense. It only takes four letters to explain after all.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's also asking FAs to know geography versus just identifying whether the flight number (which they announce) is odd or even.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
This will most likely improve chances for those who cannot preselect their meal choice in advance of getting what they want while at the same time saving Delta money.

As others have noted, if about half the cabin preselects, then they would only have to load either/or choices for only one half of the cabin. So if there are 16 seats and 8 are locked in to their choice, then only 16 other meals are required to make certain everyone has their choice.

If Delta factors currently say 12 of each. They load 24 and chances are they might run out of one or the other. If they have 8 locked in, toss in another 16 and everyone can pick and choose.

Alternately, if 12 order in advance, that count would drop to 20 total meals.

Either way paying passengers and those that can upgrade in advance (if they do pre-order) get what they want no matter what.

We know in advance if we want to brown bag it.

Delta might save a buck or two.

Everyone wins.

Unless of course you can't make up your mind.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Even more of an incentive to actually pay for the service desired.
Or more of a disincentive. Knowing the quality of their meals, it is often better to be surprised.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Finally. This should have been implemented earlier IMO. As someone who is very picky about what they eat, it is nice to be able to choose what you want in advance. There are some pretty disgusting things like the niçoise salad that DL tries to pass off as food.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Well, I'm just the opposite.

I COULDN'T care less.
EXACTLY what I was thinking. ^

I could do the general arithmetic to show exactly the probabilities that everyone is satisfied or the expected number of dissatisfied customers, but I get paid for that sort of thing.
I also have some statistical background, but as I'm now a full-time QMS auditor, sometimes the sadistical background takes over.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Howste
... I also have some statistical background, but as I'm now a full-time QMS auditor, sometimes the sadistical background takes over.
Howste, you are cleared direct Lounge Thread ...
Old Mar 24, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by canadiantransplant
I for one am really glad to have back the 12 seconds it takes to peruse the D1 menu and make a selection. Also, I'm glad that I won't have to obsess for days over whether they will run out of the apple crepes before they get to my seat on the morning flights. *rolling eyes*
I don't think anyone has suggested that this was about saving time. When you are paying lots of money for service that includes a meal, you should be able to order what you want. People have all sorts of different preferences and restrictions. And yes, for $5K you preferences should matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.