Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Blistering NYT piece on SkyMiles: In DL’s FF Magic Trick, Not Just Rabbits Disappear

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blistering NYT piece on SkyMiles: In DL’s FF Magic Trick, Not Just Rabbits Disappear

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by RaflW
That said, DL has advised of declining returns for Q3/Q4. Is any of that related to SM changes? Very hard to tell for us, probably not even very easy for DL to tease out. Market conditions seem to be the main driver of that. We'll see if it turns into a serious industry slump, they may have to add back some SM value & transparency. Maybe.
Considering that all of the other major US airlines issued similar warnings, I think we can say it is very unlikely that the declines are being driven by SM changes.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Operational excellence is going to beat a FF program with ANY serious business traveler. If I NEED to be somewhere, I NEED to be somewhere. DL is building a stellar reputation on being able to deliver that promise. They are building brand loyalty for the RIGHT reasons...not because Freddy the Freeloader got to fly his family front cabin to Disneyworld.
Pre-frickin-Cisely.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Here's the thing - I actually prefer a system where I know that, if I want to use miles for a seat, there's one available, and then I can decide if the price is right, than one where the seats simply don't exist.

For example, if I want to use Skymiles to go JFK-LHR-JFK in BE on any date in September, I can. Depending on the day, the ticket might be 70-120k miles, each way, but they're there. Compare that with BA, where there isn't a single Business Class seat available JFK-LHR with Avios for the entire month of September. None. Nada. Or, compare it to AA, where there are seats at the Saver level on just five days in September. For the rest, you're looking at Anytime Awards, which are 110k and up, so at or above Delta redemption levels.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Then again, I choose to continue flying DL because of the Medallion benefits, namely C+ seating, upgrade percentage north of 75% on the routes I fly, and improved IROPS handling. The awards are just gravy.
This. Many FTers fail to recognize that people make their purchase decisions on a multitude of factors that are far more important than mileage earning.

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Don't disagree; the question is what is the alternative (i.e. AA/UA offering) for those same dates? If the dates/routes are the same, and it is available at the standard 120K-160K (whatever it may be on the award chart - something DL doesn't even tell you about), then it is safe to say DL is asking a heck of a lot more for something that is available for less elsewhere. And I can see why that would earn them the Skypeso moniker.
But this assumes that many/most people make their paid flight choices based on the potential future redemption value of the RDM they will earn. This simply isn't true.

If you mostly fly DL because they offer the best product, routing, schedule, and price for the O/Ds you need to get to/from, the question you are asking is not what you can get for AA miles, but what you can get for DL miles.

If you fly so much that you have a diversified mileage portfolio across many programs, that gives you additional choice. But I cannot believe that the majority of airline customers are making their purchase decisions based on the mileage programs.

Originally Posted by javabytes
Certainly the award program may work well for you personally regardless of how many awards it wins. One has to think, however, that if it worked well for more people, it might win more awards.
This is, of course, true.

But my point remains - if the award program works well for me, it doesn't so much matter whether or not DL is winning any awards. After all, aren't half the posts in this thread (and so many others) about how well the FFP works for that particular poster?

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Operational excellence is going to beat a FF program with ANY serious business traveler. If I NEED to be somewhere, I NEED to be somewhere. DL is building a stellar reputation on being able to deliver that promise. They are building brand loyalty for the RIGHT reasons...not because Freddy the Freeloader got to fly his family front cabin to Disneyworld.
This +1,000. It continually amazes me how many people on FT fail to recognize that for the vast majority of passengers, the primary decision factors in what airline/flights are taken are aligned to routing, schedule, and price - NOT FFP rewards. The goal of air travel is transportation from A to B, not accruing an imaginary currency that could be taken away (not devalued, just straight taken away) at any given time.

Those rewards are nice, of course, but they are nothing more than the cherry on top of the icing on the cake.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Did you miss where I used the phrases, "pretty much" and "most of the time"?
Except QF does release multiple F/J seats, on every flight. They just get snapped up very quickly, and the AA booking window is shorter than those in other Oneworld FF programs, so many of those award seats never become available to AA bookers. Perhaps they are underpricing them, but QF severely devalued Qantas Frequent Flyer not long ago (If DL has Skypesos, QFF is surely Zimbabwean dollars...), so it seems doubtful that it is that.

I am looking at what is available. In my experience and in my recent searches, those anytime awards are what is usually (e.g. the majority of the days) available.

For example, looking at AA's calendar (I acknowledge there may be some gaps) from January to June, they show exactly one date with 2 award seats available in a premium cabin on LAX-SYD and nothing for the return. Shaving it to one premium cabin ticket, there look to be around 20 dates for the outbound over 6 months.

DL, on the other hand, is a veritable sea of low awards for much of the period. In February, for example, every day but two has two seats showing as being available on LAX-SYD in low. March, every day but two. April, every day. May, every day but one. June, every day but four.

Cutting through the hyperbole and the often disingenuous references to extreme prices, DL isn't nearly as uncompetitive as some claim. To be clear, I'm not claiming that they are the best program for redemptions, nor that the recent changes aren't unfavorable, just that the verdant fields that are routinely proclaimed as existing "over there" are often much more brown than promised.
DL similarly has terrible award availability on their own metal LAX-SYD, and in December and January there are quite a few days where business class awards show as not available, even if willing to pay 870,000 miles (ignoring PWM for a moment).

The award availability strength is with Virgin Australia, who (despite QF's recent difficulties) is still well behind in terms of number of frequent flyers, network, brand loyalty, corporate contracts, and hard product than QF, DL, and UA. I've flown VA in J to and from Australia, it is a fantastic trip, but in many ways the current 2-3-2 seating is not competitive to a lot of people. DL is better at 1-2-1, and while UA's 2-4-2 isn't good for sure, and QF's 2-2-2 upstairs on A380 is not quite as good as DL, both also offer the opportunity to upgrade to F, which DL and VA do not offer. VA realizes this, and will be installing 1-2-1 seating in their J cabin, but don't be surprised if that excellent award availability takes a tumble, and don't expect DL to help by releasing more of their own seats at saver levels.

That all said, as long as VA continues to release premium cabin awards, Skymiles is by far the best option for getting to/from Australia. If you want to go to Australia in a premium cabin, collect Skymiles. But if that dries up (and it very easily could once VA installs 1-2-1), then that advantage is gone.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by javabytes
Certainly the award program may work well for you personally regardless of how many awards it wins. One has to think, however, that if it worked well for more people, it might win more awards.
I'm not sure it would be possible for me to care less than I do about how many people it works well for.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Except QF does release multiple F/J seats, on every flight. They just get snapped up very quickly, and the AA booking window is shorter than those in other Oneworld FF programs, so many of those award seats never become available to AA bookers. Perhaps they are underpricing them, but QF severely devalued Qantas Frequent Flyer not long ago (If DL has Skypesos, QFF is surely Zimbabwean dollars...), so it seems doubtful that it is that.
Even if all of that is true, that doesn't really disprove my point that UA and AA do not offer significant low mileage availability on the route.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
DL similarly has terrible award availability on their own metal LAX-SYD, and in December and January there are quite a few days where business class awards show as not available, even if willing to pay 870,000 miles (ignoring PWM for a moment).
I'm not concerned with whether it is DL metal or not. Considering that you can't open a thread like this without having to listen to some AA fan prattle on about their great partners, or endure some UA fan drone on about how once a year redemptions on NH or OZ make flying the worst of the majors all worthwhile, I don't think most of FT is overly concerned with whether it is DL metal either. Oh, they may claim they care, but only if it is convenient for their argument.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

Sort of related to the topic... Anyone read RA's "interview" w/ the loyalty program VP (sorry, forgot his name!) in this month's magazine? Apparently Sky Pesos is the best program going, lol. Someone just forgot to tell the customers.

In fairness I don't have a problem w/ the FFP and don't choose any airline because of the FFP, I just thought the "interview" was pretty funny!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Even if all of that is true, that doesn't really disprove my point that UA and AA do not offer significant low mileage availability on the route.

I'm not concerned with whether it is DL metal or not. Considering that you can't open a thread like this without having to listen to some AA fan prattle on about their great partners, or endure some UA fan drone on about how once a year redemptions on NH or OZ make flying the worst of the majors all worthwhile, I don't think most of FT is overly concerned with whether it is DL metal either. Oh, they may claim they care, but only if it is convenient for their argument.
I don't much care about the metal either, since I actually flew VA J that should be obvious . Not really attempting to disprove your point, as I agree with it when it comes to going to Australia, Skymiles is the best option currently. QF could release every seat as an award, but it doesn't help the value of AAdvantage if none of them reach the AA booking window. But if VA stops releasing as many awards as they do now, and they could possibly cut back once the seat layout is changed (as IMO it will be the best overall J product on the route once they do that, as the soft product is already near F standards), then DL simply reaches the same level as UA and AA where low level awards are very difficult to get.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gooselee
This +1,000. It continually amazes me how many people on FT fail to recognize that for the vast majority of passengers, the primary decision factors in what airline/flights are taken are aligned to routing, schedule, and price - NOT FFP rewards.
Then how many people on FT amaze you (for whatever it is that amazes you as noted above)? I'm curious about the number of those people on FT and how you arrived at your count.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by gooselee

This +1,000. It continually amazes me how many people on FT fail to recognize that for the vast majority of passengers, the primary decision factors in what airline/flights are taken are aligned to routing, schedule, and price - NOT FFP rewards. The goal of air travel is transportation from A to B, not accruing an imaginary currency that could be taken away (not devalued, just straight taken away) at any given time.

Those rewards are nice, of course, but they are nothing more than the cherry on top of the icing on the cake.
I am COMPLETELY missing why you not only have an account, but actively post in, a FREQUENT FLYER PROGRAM internet forum. The people here presumably DO care about the programs or the forum would not exist.

I said it in another thread: You and many posters who follow your same logic may well be right...but why on EARTH would you care to read about the frequent flyer program you so do not care about....
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by avidflyer
I am COMPLETELY missing why you not only have an account, but actively post in, a FREQUENT FLYER PROGRAM internet forum. The people here presumably DO care about the programs or the forum would not exist.

I said it in another thread: You and many posters who follow your same logic may well be right...but why on EARTH would you care to read about the frequent flyer program you so do not care about....
Just because you aren't motivated by an FF program doesn't mean you won't maximize it if available.

And, FWIW, I think this whole "this is a FF forum" nonsense that is trotted out routinely is beyond stupid. Moreover, I think those saying it know it. There is a lot of great information on this site that has nothing to do with FF programs. Indeed, I'd say the majority of the information on this site has nothing to do with FF programs. To use the "this is a FF forum" canard to try and stifle dissenting views is disingenuous BS. And you are better than that and you know it.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
And, FWIW, I think this whole "this is a FF forum" nonsense that is trotted out routinely is beyond stupid

The NAME of this particular forum we are posting in right now is "Delta Airlines Skylines"
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Delta Air Lines SkyMiles. But it may as well be taken as Delta Air Lines SkyLies, given DL management's customer-unfriendly shenanigans aimed at SkyMiles customers.

Apparently the DL FFP matters enough to the DL CEO that he keeps mentioning it. Quite an interesting approach if the DL FFP didn't matter that much to DL management and to DL customers.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Folks, and lets be honest with each other, how many people here live in Australia, collect skymiles and/or will be originating a round trip award itinerary from SYD? I am guessing the answer is less then .00001%. Who really cares what it costs mileage wise to travel from SYD to the states. And, if you are that less then .0001%, live in Australia and collect skymiles then shame on you.
I am that person. Why shame on me? Virgin Australia is a great airline, and gives good RDM and MQM on Delta. And they reward Delta PLT and above with free lounge access, free bags, and free same-day flight changes.

I find the Diamond upgrade certs very useful for the long-hauls to the US and Skymiles can be better than Velocity in some ways.

So why shame on me? Or is it that you have no idea what it would be like to live in Australia and collect Skymiles? You are just ignorant of what you are slamming. Nice trolling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.