Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Blistering NYT piece on SkyMiles: In DL’s FF Magic Trick, Not Just Rabbits Disappear

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blistering NYT piece on SkyMiles: In DL’s FF Magic Trick, Not Just Rabbits Disappear

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
This is one of the many reason Delta came in at #9 of the US FF programs. The folks here who say that dismantling the FF program is "the right thing to do" clearly are on the same page as DL. However, many of those same folks try to also defend the miserable excuse of a FF program in the next breath and that is where they lose me.

Pick one and you have an opinion. Defend both and you have a problem
I have no doubt that there are people that both understand why DL is doing what they are doing AND get the best value from SkyMiles. The DL program is not the best for traditional collectors, but the idea that it isn't actually the best for some people is almost certainly false.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I have no doubt that there are people that both understand why DL is doing what they are doing AND get the best value from SkyMiles. The DL program is not the best for traditional collectors, but the idea that it isn't actually the best for some people is almost certainly false.

Completely agree but "some" does not equal winning any awards that is for sure.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:39 am
Suspended

Completely agree but "some" does not equal winning any awards that is for sure.
I personally don't care how many awards SkyMiles wins.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by sethb
If we all wrote our Congresscritters and asked . . .
Still wouldn't happen, because there aren't enough people who care about this for it to matter. And then you'd have the 'Merica crowd (I don't like that term & consider it demeaning, but there's no other word I know of) and the unions making noise. And they can make a lot of noise.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Not unless His Excellency AAB and Tim Clark and James Hogan all backed the money truck up to the proper lobbyists...
Foreign nationals are prohibited by law from donating to US political campaigns. I don't know the rules for foreign corporations, but I'd be extremely surprised if what you're suggesting is allowed to any great degree.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:46 am

I have never expected very much from any FF program. In the past, BA incurred a lot of extra fees, hundreds of dollars in some cases. I still have a bunch of US miles I haven't been able to find a reasonable use for. As long as I can get a flight for 1.5 cents per mile equivalent, I am happy as that is what I get in rebates from my other cards. So having a Delta Amex and flying enough to be PM or DM gets me seated in C+ all the time, occasional upgrades, and free bags. Award tickets are essentially a fully changeable ticket for me, which makes their value inestimably more than a typical coach ticket. The Skymiles as a DM or PM are basically a pretty decent discount on the sticker price of the ticket. Combined with the almost universal good customer service compared to most American companies I deal with and good on-time stats, the fact that they may be less generous with award tickets than they used to be is a minor issue. For me anyway.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I personally don't care how many awards SkyMiles wins.
Right but this is a forum for exactly that.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Right but this is a forum for exactly that.
Dammit! Here I was thinking this was a forum about giraffes and tea preparation devices.

But I think the point is that if DL still provides a viable reward program for me, that is what matters more, to me, than an award they can put on a shelf down on VA Ave.

Other things matter differently to other people, and that's fine, too.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by gooselee
Dammit! Here I was thinking this was a forum about giraffes and tea preparation devices.

But I think the point is that if DL still provides a viable reward program for me, that is what matters more, to me, than an award they can put on a shelf down on VA Ave.

Other things matter differently to other people, and that's fine, too.
Certainly the award program may work well for you personally regardless of how many awards it wins. One has to think, however, that if it worked well for more people, it might win more awards.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL DM
Operational excellence is going to beat a FF program with ANY serious business traveler. If I NEED to be somewhere, I NEED to be somewhere. DL is building a stellar reputation on being able to deliver that promise. They are building brand loyalty for the RIGHT reasons...not because Freddy the Freeloader got to fly his family front cabin to Disneyworld.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes
Certainly the award program may work well for you personally regardless of how many awards it wins. One has to think, however, that if it worked well for more people, it might win more awards.
Doesn't WN's program consistently win awards? It's easy to understand and doesn't require any nuanced thinking or searching to redeem, but it also has zero aspirational awards. I don't fly WN often, but I burn as soon as I have enough points for a one-way on a flight I would buy anyway because there's no reason to save.

I'd much rather have a program like DL's where I can put in some effort and book business class awards on partners to international destinations. To me, that's a lot more rewarding than saving a couple hundred dollars on a domestic ticket (although domestic redemptions do have their places but lose their value considerably in fixed-value programs like WN compared to a program like DL where you can get a last minute ticket for the same price as a ticket booked 11 months out if availability is there). Then again, I choose to continue flying DL because of the Medallion benefits, namely C+ seating, upgrade percentage north of 75% on the routes I fly, and improved IROPS handling. The awards are just gravy.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by whlinder
It's definitely a cool story, bro, that GTL VFTW got a bunch of a quotes in a NYT article on Delta changing its program again. Crazy that the controller of an alternate currency wants to control it! Sounds like the free market at work.

Maybe this has been posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it:
Delta ties compensation guarantee to Corporate Operational Performance

So yeah, Delta isn't doling out pesos/rubles like it used to and like its competitors do, and it is removing transparency from the redemption side of of its rewards program. It's program is now worse than AA/UA's, but not orders of magnitude worse.

On the other hand, Delta is getting people to their destination at such a higher rate than UA or AA that it is now a competitive advantage in the corporate travel market. Which group pays the bills, SkyMiles complainers or Corporate Travel buyers?
The operational performance compensation thing is another DL gimmick, an even bigger joke and cheaper gimmick than the DL SkyMiles gimmickry. Any serious corporate travel buyer swayed by that DL "guarantee" needs to have their head checked if they think it's going to improve the travel benefits for their employees and others whose travel is "covered" by this operational performance gimmick.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Foreign nationals are prohibited by law from donating to US political campaigns. I don't know the rules for foreign corporations, but I'd be extremely surprised if what you're suggesting is allowed to any great degree.
Foreign nationals lobby the USG each and every day, and foreign companies and governments are a major source of money for the proverbially well-heeled on K Street. And foreign nationals resident in the U.S. can and do legally fund political campaigns in the U.S. And I'm just waiting to see when foreign citizens not resident in the U.S. try to claim that their First Amendment rights are being violated by restrictions on foreign nationals contributing to US political campaigns. Maybe the GCC3 can fund the case as payback against DL.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by gooselee
If you must fly that exact route on those specific days, that is the option available via DL. If, as in the past, you have flexibility on routing or dates, you increase the likelihood of finding lower prices awards.

The fact that some dates and routes cost more than others is NOT a new development.
Don't disagree; the question is what is the alternative (i.e. AA/UA offering) for those same dates? If the dates/routes are the same, and it is available at the standard 120K-160K (whatever it may be on the award chart - something DL doesn't even tell you about), then it is safe to say DL is asking a heck of a lot more for something that is available for less elsewhere. And I can see why that would earn them the Skypeso moniker.

350k is really closer to the ~300k+ that is the norm for an AA or UA redemption. Indeed, until AA starts their service to OZ, you pretty much have zero options to redeem miles to Oz in J, as QF simply doesn't release award space most of the time.
Saying QF doesn't release award space is like the complaint people make here about not seeing 25K awards and only 40K awards; they are there; you can't just wave your hand and say it doesn't count.

That said, I wonder what's a "fair" redemption on DL for economy is compared to QF/AA, or UA.

And 300K is not the norm for AA or UA unless one is looking at the Anytime type of award... by the looks of the 750K, that would be equivalent to. So still 2x more than UA/AA.

Last edited by luv2ctheworld; Aug 4, 2015 at 2:53 pm
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
If it worked well for more people, it might win more awards.
Delta only cares if the awards will earn them more customers who are profitable. I don't see RA caring about US News rankings, it isn't a ranking that most people will notice or remember 48 hours from now.

I read recently that DL is earning a domestic revenue premium of 15% per seatmile vs. UA and AA. Unless the SkyMiles devaluations/changes so alienate customers that they leave in droves, impacting DLs revenue and profit numbers, they won't care who is mad.

That said, DL has advised of declining returns for Q3/Q4. Is any of that related to SM changes? Very hard to tell for us, probably not even very easy for DL to tease out. Market conditions seem to be the main driver of that. We'll see if it turns into a serious industry slump, they may have to add back some SM value & transparency. Maybe.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Saying QF doesn't release award space is like the complaint people make here about not seeing 25K awards and only 40K awards; they are there; you can't just wave your hand and say it doesn't count.
Did you miss where I used the phrases, "pretty much" and "most of the time"?

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
And 300K is not the norm for AA or UA unless one is looking at the Anytime type of award... by the looks of the 750K, that would be equivalent to. So still 2x more than UA/AA.
I am looking at what is available. In my experience and in my recent searches, those anytime awards are what is usually (e.g. the majority of the days) available.

For example, looking at AA's calendar (I acknowledge there may be some gaps) from January to June, they show exactly one date with 2 award seats available in a premium cabin on LAX-SYD and nothing for the return. Shaving it to one premium cabin ticket, there look to be around 20 dates for the outbound over 6 months.

DL, on the other hand, is a veritable sea of low awards for much of the period. In February, for example, every day but two has two seats showing as being available on LAX-SYD in low. March, every day but two. April, every day. May, every day but one. June, every day but four.

Cutting through the hyperbole and the often disingenuous references to extreme prices, DL isn't nearly as uncompetitive as some claim. To be clear, I'm not claiming that they are the best program for redemptions, nor that the recent changes aren't unfavorable, just that the verdant fields that are routinely proclaimed as existing "over there" are often much more brown than promised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.