Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Blistering NYT piece on SkyMiles: In DL’s FF Magic Trick, Not Just Rabbits Disappear

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blistering NYT piece on SkyMiles: In DL’s FF Magic Trick, Not Just Rabbits Disappear

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Just checked AA V. DL for business class awards from JFK - HKG for next week. Best you can do on AA is 350,000 miles whereas with DL you can get it for 285,000

Another for next week...JFK to PVG on AA comes in at 350,000...DL is 295,000.

Delta handily beats AA to a pulp in both HKG and the PVG markets.
AA only shows availability for a few partners online - not much more than half a dozen. Many others, including carriers you'd probably want to fly on most to Asia (like CX), require you to call or search third-party data sources.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by javabytes
AA only shows availability for a few partners online - not much more than half a dozen. Many others, including carriers you'd probably want to fly on most to Asia (like CX), require you to call or search third-party data sources.
I guess AA is really user-unfriendly, then, what with not showing more partner awards online and making people waste time by calling in, if they even knew they had to call in the first place.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Originally Posted by LBJ
That's from australia, not to australia (which is what the article claimed). Yes, it makes a difference.
So true! My sister, who usually flies Delta from Germany to SoCal to come see me, has accumulated quite a few SkyMiles over the years. When she was planning to burn them on overvalued hotel rooms, I howled in protest at the apparent waste, but it became quite apparent that STR-LAX-STR is nowhere near as available/good value as LAX-STR-LAX...
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by gooselee
I guess AA is really user-unfriendly, then, what with not showing more partner awards online and making people waste time by calling in, if they even knew they had to call in the first place.
Sound a lot like delta.com, ever since nwa.com (where you could do everything you needed online) was taken down and the res. system was downgraded. Now just over last few months, more airlines have been added to delta.com, but still it's of limited use for anything but simple direct flights, given the broken (on purpose) multi-city functionality and the award pricing bugs of the past now having been made officially features (if you call a pig a duck, then it is a duck!, or so DL believes).
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by gigglypug
So true! My sister, who usually flies Delta from Germany to SoCal to come see me, has accumulated quite a few SkyMiles over the years. When she was planning to burn them on overvalued hotel rooms, I howled in protest at the apparent waste, but it became quite apparent that STR-LAX-STR is nowhere near as available/good value as LAX-STR-LAX...
Now that the system allows one-ways, why not just book it as two one-ways?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Sound a lot like delta.com, ever since nwa.com (where you could do everything you needed online) was taken down and the res. system was downgraded. Now just over last few months, more airlines have been added to delta.com, but still it's of limited use for anything but simple direct flights, given the broken (on purpose) multi-city functionality and the award pricing bugs of the past now having been made officially features (if you call a pig a duck, then it is a duck!, or so DL believes).
I agree - I was mostly calling out the contradiction previous posts about how one of the reasons DL miles are so terrible is because you have to call in to get any good redemptions. DL is not alone in that you often have to jump through hoops to get partner awards, where often the best value is to be found.

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
European origin fees.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:01 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
The problem is the (I forget what we call it here) - European Originating Surcharge?

A coach round trip LAX/STR/LAX is 60,000 miles + $ 95.50 USD

A coach round trip STR/LAX/STR is 60,000 miles + € 427.33

So, it doesn't matter if it's a round trip or 2 one ways.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've been seeing regular paid roundtrip tickets all-in for STR-California in the $300-$600 range. Given what DL charges as a cash component when using DL miles on the one-way to the U.S., let's just say that I wouldn't be doing a DL mileage ticket redemption starting in STR.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
which according to many DL flyertalk folks, having to call the airline to do anything is a major set back and a major pain in the a$$.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by davetravels
It matters, as if it's two oneways and you want to cancel it or make a change, you will pay double the fees (unless you have the right status level) vs. if it is booked as RT.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:28 am

I agree - I was mostly calling out the contradiction previous posts about how one of the reasons DL miles are so terrible is because you have to call in to get any good redemptions. DL is not alone in that you often have to jump through hoops to get partner awards, where often the best value is to be found.
True. The difference is that with DL it can take many agonizing calls and hours upon hours to get something booked, and each agent you speak to will have difference excuses and face different challenges. Unless you know more than the phone agents do and can mentor them in the process and walk them through it step by step, you are out of luck with DL. With almost any other airline, it's a quick 5-10 minute call and you're done, no need to know anything about their res system particulars or anything, no need for multiple levels of escalation, etc., as is often the case for even the most routine and simple things with DL.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:33 am
Suspended

Not necessarily so. When was the last time you tried to book an award and use a partner airline on DL.com? Vietnam Airlines, Korean Air, Virgin, Air France to name a few, all come up and are fully bookable not to mention China Aeroflot, China Eastern....
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by gigglypug
European origin fees.
Originally Posted by davetravels
The problem is the (I forget what we call it here) - European Originating Surcharge?

A coach round trip LAX/STR/LAX is 60,000 miles + $ 95.50 USD

A coach round trip STR/LAX/STR is 60,000 miles + € 427.33

Sis is already originating in Europe. Booking one-ways is actually cheaper, because only the outbound would be hit with the IOS, while the return would not.

Taxes and fees come out to EUR 234.06 for a one-way STR-LAX and $12.00 for a one-way LAX-STR. Better than EUR 427.33 for a round trip STR-LAX-STR. Also, for cases where dynamic award pricing is in effect, from what we've seen, booking one-ways would result in lower miles for the return portion. However the change/cancellation fees would obviously be 2x if it came to that.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:28 am
Suspended

some more data in favor of Delta.

For comparison purposes, if I want to earn enough miles to fly JFK to LAX/SFO in:

MINT - at a base fare of $400.00 it will take me nearly 60 RT flights to earn enough TB points for a MINT seat.

D1 - at the same base fare of $400.00 I will only need to fly roughly 23 round trips to earn enough skymiles for a D1 seat.

So, who has the better program in this regard? Delta
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Not necessarily so. When was the last time you tried to book an award and use a partner airline on DL.com? Vietnam Airlines, Korean Air, Virgin, Air France to name a few, all come up and are fully bookable not to mention China Aeroflot, China Eastern....
Oh...I completely agree with you. I book mostly TATL awards and have tons of success with AF, KL, AZ awards. I've also seen many VS awards but they've just never been ones I ended up booking.

There are, of course, many partners and complex itineraries that require calling - I was just saying that that seems to be the case with all the legacy airlines' award systems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.