Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Blistering NYT piece on SkyMiles: In DL’s FF Magic Trick, Not Just Rabbits Disappear

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blistering NYT piece on SkyMiles: In DL’s FF Magic Trick, Not Just Rabbits Disappear

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
This +1,000. It continually amazes me how many people on FT fail to recognize that for the vast majority of passengers, the primary decision factors in what airline/flights are taken are aligned to routing, schedule, and price - NOT FFP rewards. The goal of air travel is transportation from A to B, not accruing an imaginary currency that could be taken away (not devalued, just straight taken away) at any given time.

Those rewards are nice, of course, but they are nothing more than the cherry on top of the icing on the cake.
Except...the critical component that you did not mention is upgrades. The ability to upgrade, for many people, has a large impact on travel decision factors. And the ability to upgrade is part of the Skymiles program.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I posted once.

Looks like here to me:

See above.

I think the NYT piece is well written. I agree that they could have been more balanced by at least stating that the 830k redemption was not typical. But it is a real redemption, and much higher than other airlines charge for their most expensive seats that are widely available. So it's a legitimate article in my opinion, and Delta is last in this area amongst US carriers.
You obviously didn't read the 'whole book' before commenting on it. If you bothered to read any of my other posts in this thread which immediately followed the one you so conveniently chose to quote, you would clearly see where I am coming from.

as for the article, you are entitled to your opinion as am I but its clearly way biased against Delta. Fine with me because I can easily find plenty of low skymiles redemption seats.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Except...the critical component that you did not mention is upgrades. The ability to upgrade, for many people, has a large impact on travel decision factors. And the ability to upgrade is part of the Skymiles program.
But that only applies to the subset of customers who are elites, or who hold enough miles/instruments to upgrade. To have that status or those miles/instruments, you have to look back at all the past purchase decisions made to accrue them. Again, icing on the cake.

I understand where you're coming from, but I disagree that the potential for an upgrade is that big of a decision factor for as many travelers as you are suggesting.

In my circles of friends and colleagues, I cannot think of a single person who would choose to pay more and take a connection because they might get upgraded vs. paying less for a nonstop flight. In fact, if I had an employee who told me they paid substantially more for a flight or took some convoluted routing that cut into working hours because they might get upgraded, they would not be an employee of mine for much longer.

And remember that in the brave new world of FCM, the ability to upgrade is tied to nothing more than one's wallet.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
But that only applies to the subset of customers who are elites, or who hold enough miles/instruments to upgrade. To have that status or those miles/instruments, you have to look back at all the past purchase decisions made to accrue them. Again, icing on the cake.

I understand where you're coming from, but I disagree that the potential for an upgrade is that big of a decision factor for as many travelers as you are suggesting.

In my circles of friends and colleagues, I cannot think of a single person who would choose to pay more and take a connection because they might get upgraded vs. paying less for a nonstop flight. In fact, if I had an employee who told me they paid substantially more for a flight or took some convoluted routing that cut into working hours because they might get upgraded, they would not be an employee of mine for much longer.

And remember that in the brave new world of FCM, the ability to upgrade is tied to nothing more than one's wallet.
And what about people who don't live at a hub? If you are taking a connection regardless then choosing the airline/routing that gives you the best shot at an upgrade can matter, especially if the time difference is negligible. As is how many miles you might earn. Connecting through MSP vs. ORD, or SLC vs. DEN, or ATL vs. DFW (and so on) isn't a huge difference in time or complexity. So what you get out of it comes in to play.

And if you are forced to book your travel through a corporate travel agency, then FCM isn't an option because it isn't offered. So instead of being a chance to buy cheap upgrades, FCM is just upgrade opportunities disappearing.

But hey, admitting that would mean admitting that not everyone has the exact same travel patterns that you do. Rankings like these show that for the majority of passengers, Delta has greatly cut into the value of their FF program. And for lots of people, maybe not you, but lots of people, a FF program does influence their buying decisions. In fact, it is even possible to recognize stuff Delta does well, like IRROPS recovery, while still bemoaning the slashing of FF benefits. You can even recognize that Delta is doing it because they are confident they will sell the seats regardless but still not like it because of the impacts it has to you as an individual. Delta as a company is trying to maximize the amount of profit they can make. And customers as consumers want to maximize their value for their spend. Sometimes these desires are in conflict. Huh.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zeeb
And what about people who don't live at a hub? If you are taking a connection regardless then choosing the airline/routing that gives you the best shot at an upgrade can matter, especially if the time difference is negligible. As is how many miles you might earn. Connecting through MSP vs. ORD, or SLC vs. DEN, or ATL vs. DFW (and so on) isn't a huge difference in time or complexity. So what you get out of it comes in to play.

And if you are forced to book your travel through a corporate travel agency, then FCM isn't an option because it isn't offered. So instead of being a chance to buy cheap upgrades, FCM is just upgrade opportunities disappearing.

But hey, admitting that would mean admitting that not everyone has the exact same travel patterns that you do. Rankings like these show that for the majority of passengers, Delta has greatly cut into the value of their FF program. And for lots of people, maybe not you, but lots of people, a FF program does influence their buying decisions. In fact, it is even possible to recognize stuff Delta does well, like IRROPS recovery, while still bemoaning the slashing of FF benefits. You can even recognize that Delta is doing it because they are confident they will sell the seats regardless but still not like it because of the impacts it has to you as an individual. Delta as a company is trying to maximize the amount of profit they can make. And customers as consumers want to maximize their value for their spend. Sometimes these desires are in conflict. Huh.
I don't disagree with you.

My argument is that for most people, price and operational elements are bigger decision factors than FFP, regardless of travel pattern or purchase method.

Even when price/schedule/connections are effectively the same, I personally see (from the people I am able to observe) more decisions being made based on things like service preference and past experience than on FFP. Some people like how "fun" WN is. Other people like the blue leather on DL. Others avoid UA because of that one time they lost their bag. But for many, the mileage accrual and slight chance at an upgrade (if they're even eligible, which most people are not), is secondary to all this.

I have never said that FFP should be a complete non-factor, only that for the vast majority of travelers I see, the FFP is a very, very minor factor that is only considered after a multitude of other things.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Folks,
Please stop all of this personal banter and debate the issue at hand!!!
RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Random dates, June 2016. Tons of availability for SYD to DTW in coach for 115,000 miles. If you want D1, how does 255,000 miles sound? Plenty of dates for that to. Shall I go on?
Coach? Decent... D1? Pretty bad. Assuming those are round trip numbers. If those are one-way numbers I can only laugh.

Last edited by javabytes; Aug 5, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I've paid more for a flight, and taken a connection rather than a nonstop, for (1) a reasonable chance of an upgrade on the two connecting flights, (2) the almost certainty of an upgrade on the (nonstop) return, and (3) enough miles to actually potentially matter for status, meaning more upgrades and other benefits in the future.

Oh, and that was all my own time and money.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sethb
I've paid more for a flight, and taken a connection rather than a nonstop, for (1) a reasonable chance of an upgrade on the two connecting flights, (2) the almost certainty of an upgrade on the (nonstop) return, and (3) enough miles to actually potentially matter for status, meaning more upgrades and other benefits in the future.

Oh, and that was all my own time and money.
I would guess that on a macro level you are in the smallest minority of passengers. Those traveling on OPM especially (the bread and butter travelers) are primarily concerned with reliability and time. Period. This FT subset doesn't exist in the world DL is successfully building.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
Coach? Decent... D1? Pretty bad. Assuming those are round trip numbers. If those are one-way numbers I can only laugh.
they are roundtrip. For the D1 award while not all that great still falls way short of the 830,000 miles as stated in the article. In fact, other then the one example on the first page of this thread, I cant find anything for 830,000 miles.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
they are roundtrip. For the D1 award while not all that great still falls way short of the 830,000 miles as stated in the article. In fact, other then the one example on the first page of this thread, I cant find anything for 830,000 miles.
Why looking for just 830,000 SkyMiles? You can look for anything in the 500,000 mile to 1,000,000 range and the point would be much the same: DL has some very high mileage award ticket prices for flights on its own metal, prices that may or may not be currently seen with other airlines' FFP for travel in the same class of service on their own metal.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bubbashow
I would guess that on a macro level you are in the smallest minority of passengers. Those traveling on OPM especially (the bread and butter travelers) are primarily concerned with reliability and time. Period. This FT subset doesn't exist in the world DL is successfully building.
The margin of reliability between DL and its "competitors" isn't large enough to chase away or attract the majority of even those traveling on OPM.

There is a reason why DL has been trying to groom the use-OPM-at-just-about-any-price crowd with the SkyMiles earnings adjustments.

A lot of the OPM crowd cares about the FFP returns. As is evident in it being proverbial water cooler talk at the major IBs, consulting firms, accounting firms, law firms and other professional services firms where employees are relying upon OPM for travel.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+1

Originally Posted by GUWonder
A lot of the OPM crowd cares about the FFP returns. As is evident in it being proverbial water cooler talk at the major IBs, consulting firms, accounting firms, law firms and other professional services firms where employees are relying upon OPM for travel.
You can care about and enjoy FFP returns and at the same time not allow those auxiliary benefits drive your purchase and scheduling decisions.

The water coolers I frequent, often the discussion is something like: "Yeah I prefer to collect AA miles but I'm flying UA this month because they have nonstops to my client location and are a bit cheaper."
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:08 am
Suspended

You can care about and enjoy FFP returns and at the same time not allow those auxiliary benefits drive your purchase and scheduling decisions.

The water coolers I frequent, often the discussion is something like: "Yeah I prefer to collect AA miles but I'm flying UA this month because they have nonstops to my client location and are a bit cheaper."
Every factor -- no matter how small or great the factor -- in a decision to purchase helps drive the purchase decision. Think about it, it's not all black and white but it doesn't take genius to understand that it is generally a factor in the ticket purchases of those in the US who most frequently use OPM for travel. Your last paragraph above even makes my point for me.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I would guess that on a macro level you are in the smallest minority of passengers. Those traveling on OPM especially (the bread and butter travelers) are primarily concerned with reliability and time. Period.
When I flew OPM, I didn't pay any attention to (or even know about relative) "reliability". I cared somewhat about time, but mainly to the extent I had constraints (leave after X, arrive by Y).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.