Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Blistering NYT piece on SkyMiles: In DL’s FF Magic Trick, Not Just Rabbits Disappear

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blistering NYT piece on SkyMiles: In DL’s FF Magic Trick, Not Just Rabbits Disappear

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Tons of 25k domestic? Not from South Florida. More like 50-60k coach.
Summer to Europe? Not on DL metal for less than 100k coach.
Basically, they have doubled prices.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by Robbyb03
I was being sarcastic, but in this day and age with the people being able to book 1M+ Skymile trips, 235K isn't bad for twenty hours (each way) on Delta metal in First Class/Business. Do I wish it was 160K or even 200K to go to Australia like the old reward chart? Absolutely, but that's never going to happen again until the worldwide economy takes a dive and airlines start begging for more flyers and government bailouts again. There are some absolute deals at the moment with Delta (Example: ATL to EYW for 10K RT). It could always be a lot worse if Delta eliminated the Skymiles program and these hundreds of thousands of Skymiles or Skypesos or Skyrubles I have disappeared...
In this day and age Delta is handing out far fewer Skypesos. You would think the redemption levels would drop, not increase. Delta hates its frequent fliers.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by yohanson
In this day and age Delta is handing out far fewer Skypesos. You would think the redemption levels would drop, not increase. Delta hates its frequent fliers.
I'm earning more miles per dollar spent today than I used to.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
The NYT is a rag paper. I am doing better with "Sky Pesos" now than before. Redemption is also better for myself and family. What a load of CRAP! Unreal.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:52 am

Arrow

Originally Posted by yohanson
I'm earning more miles now than I did last year and the year before when I'm buying airline tickets and with the way AMEX and Delta Skymiles Shopping hands out "Skypesos," I'm surprised the devaluation isn't worse. Hell, if you signed up for the Gold and Platinum AMEX cards recently, you would've received 110K Skymiles with only $3K in spending plus $150 off a Delta flight from buying gift cards. Then you combine that with an accelarated Skymiles earning rate through the Delta portal, (example: FTD was 38 miles to the dollar) and you could easily be over 200K Skymiles and have $150 in Delta credits from credit card signup bonuses.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Most SkyMiles customers are now earning fewer miles per mile flown on Delta planes than was the case in 2014. This was and remains DL management's objective.

I expected that DL management and DL management apologists would be taking issue with the NYT article critical of DL SkyMiles, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed with the response blaming anyone or everyone but Delta Air Lines for this duly critical coverage of SkyMiles.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 2, 2015 at 2:18 am
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: DL,EK
Earning has seriously decreased for me but this year I was able to get RT RNO-PRG for 67,000 miles and one way RNO-ICN for 35,000 miles. I am flying DL to Europe next month (paid in cash), but expect to fly Star Alliance carriers more and more in the future.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:04 am

What I really don't understand is how can DL keep competing with ME3 if they keep devaluating their reward program. My general impression is ME3 offers comparable reward program as we used to have and generally have better product for all the cabinet. While DL is making some improvement, I don't think what DL offering is actually comparable to ME3 yet. With the further devaluating the reward program ........ I'm not really following the logic in terms the competition point of view (perhaps too many DL customer already ?)

I check the reward ticket in Jun 2016 and it looks like for the business (O) fare each mile used to worth ~4 cent this year but it will drop down to ~3 cent next year. Although DM people may earn more miles this year, majority of people earn a lot less miles this year. I don't even know why I sign up the DL Gold credit card this year .....
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Robbyb03
I'm looking at next May and June for flights from ATL to SYD and I've seen first class/business for 235K RT at the lowest. I'm sure the dates aren't perfect for everyone, but that's pretty freaking good in my opinion.
Pretty freaking good? 160k RT is supposed to be low, so you don't mind paying 50% extra? You are DL's ideal customer.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Tons of 25k domestic? Not from South Florida. More like 50-60k coach.
Summer to Europe? Not on DL metal for less than 100k coach.
Basically, they have doubled prices.
That's exactly what I look for too. Appalling. I'm glad I'm crediting to UA. Yes, domestic is ghastly, but at least I can get to Europe in a premium cabin easily and (relatively) cheaply.

I really enjoyed the NYT article.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
When someone posts a large picture that requires you to scroll right and left to read the remaining posts on that page, is there anyway to read it w/o scrolling? Or does the OP have to resize the picture for easiest viewing? Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Pretty freaking good? 160k RT is supposed to be low, so you don't mind paying 50% extra? You are DL's ideal customer.
DL is conditioning flyers to lower their expectations. Just like with FCM, people are paying $100+ more per flight to get free SDC and think it's a great deal when in reality they are now paying for a benefit they use to get.

I am thankful I took advantage of 2 J tickets JFK-SYD next Feb at 160K each earlier this year.

Revenue based redemption is coming, soon.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
This article as others have pointed out is way over the top. Anyways for comparison. I redeemed 10k miles for FLL-DTW and got upgrade at window. Also have no issues redeeming 25k awards for first to Alaska and 40k awards for first class to Hawaii. Program works for me.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by pbarnette
And frankly, I think the outrage is misplaced and, yes, unfair. Consider the 830k mile fare to SYD. Well, pricing out DL for a couple weeks from now, BOS-SYD is coming in at around $12.7k dollars in J. Even at 830k miles, that is $0.015 cents per mile. More importantly, at 11 miles per dollar for a DM, that represents a whopping 17% rebate. What other products do you get outraged when your rebate is "only" 17%? Seriously people! Your expectations are absurd.
17% rebate on $75,000 worth of airfare. And remember, there's a cap on mileage awarded on tickets, so you can't count money spent over ~$6818 per ticket as a DM as it won't earn any miles. The rebate goes down if you're spending over $6818 per ticket.

If you're spending $75,000 of your own money on airfare, you probably don't try too hard to figure out what your miles are worth. $75,000 buys you at least 4 QF F round trips BOS-SYD at ~$16k each, and QF F is better than DL J by a wide margin. And it leaves you at least $10,000 left over to spend 10-15 days in the Park Hyatt Sydney on top of it.

And, just to note, RT BOS-SYD on DL is around $10,000 on most dates, and involves either a double connection, or a 36 minute connection at LAX on the way down and a 70 minute connection on the return at LAX including immigration and customs. Those have IRROPS written ALL over them.

If you're spending $75,000 of OPM, on at least 11 different trips (assuming each cost the maximum possible ~$6818), your company most likely has a contract with DL or another carrier, and you're flying where you're told, when you're told, and how you're told (although quite nicely at those prices at least). If your company switches from DL to UA, because UA offers a better discount than DL, you're going to UA.

Simply, there is almost no scenario where one spends $75,000 on airfare with the hope to get a theoretical 17% rebate on the miles spent. Many other factors are far, far more important at that point. The 830,000 mile post is an egregious example of finding the evidence that proves one's hypothesis, but this 17% rebate example is no better and is just as laughable.

Put more simply, there's a reason FF program was ranked 19th on most important factors when choosing an airline in a recent poll. For better or worse, most people don't care about the FF program, they're all crap now anyway for the average person.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Aug 2, 2015 at 1:28 pm
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Kevin Liu
What I really don't understand is how can DL keep competing with ME3 if they keep devaluating their reward program.
DL doesn't need a good FF program to make money, clearly. And the number of customers who will choose one of the ME3 over DL based on the FF programs isn't enough to matter to DL in making decisions on changes to SkyMiles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.