Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Is Getting New Uniforms

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I like the new uniforms and the new colors. As much as we've all complained about the "dull blue" cabin interiors, I think more people would welcome new colors. I suspect we'll be seeing a less gray-and-blue cabin from Delta in the months and years to come.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst
Plum on the same pallet as the blue and red? Seems to clash.
Good!!! The last thing we need is FAs blending in with the decor come PFB time!!
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:42 pm

Lots of employees will begin wear testing in December. I think at least one from each airport was selected during the summer. I wasn't.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
Love it! Truly makes DL America's most glamorous global network carrier!
Especially the Two white flight attendants with the sunglasses look amazing!
Too bad they're working on shrinking their global network.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
There are two airlines which have struck me in the last few years as trying to be hip: Virgin America and Delta.

These uniforms feel like another effort in that quest on DL's part, except they're a misfire. I thought the black and red uniforms looked fine.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I always thought the outgoing Richard Tyler uniforms were quite stylish. These aren't as successful. I don't have an issue with the plum/purple since it is analogous on the color wheel to red and blue. I think some of the details are fussy like the epaulettes on the men's suits or what looks like some belt like thing on the front of the dresses. At least there is some style thought into these outfits unlike AA, which seem to have come out of a corporate catalog.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
So I was thinking about what our red-head FA neighbor would think about the new uniform colors...independently, all the while my husband was pondering "plumb, thistle and cardinal" as the colors were described.

Then he nailed it, Zac Posen's inspiration was Daphne from Scooby Doo!

Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Your comment is racist. Just because you don't realize your comment is racist doesn't mean it isn't. This isn't our problem — it's yours.
Stupid, perhaps a generalization then yeah fine whatever. But racist, well that would imply that I thought one group is superior to another...which was never implied.

I didn't make up the name on the spot; it's one of the various checkin locations one can find when using FB at ATL.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by pvn
lol

I mean, people overreact a lot on this forum. People act like companion upgrades are a human rights violation, but at least that's something that actually affects their experience.
^ Before the new AA uniforms were rolled out, there was a tidal wave of complaints about how appalling and cheap they looked. I too was guilty of making that charge, but the uniforms actually looked pretty nice in person and MORE IMPORTANTLY the majority of GAs/FAs seemed to appreciate the new look which possibly contributed to better service experiences for me.

I think the uniforms look alright, but will withhold a full condemnation until I see them in person.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:44 pm

This really is such a disappointment. The existing uniforms were very successful - even today they don't really look outdated at all, and staff look very professional. Considering the way that Posen kept insisting that these would be the most groundbreaking uniforms ever, you'd think that they would have at least been decent.

The mens' suit looks retro in more of a Halloween costume 1920's flight attendant dress-up kind of way, and several of the womens' pieces look like purple versions of outdated 1980's crap that American just got rid of.

Purple doesn't fit anywhere within Delta's color scheme, and clashes with the cabins and pretty much every element of their extremely successful branding. Delta's bright and simple red, white, and blue scheme has been completely timeless and an essential core of their identity, much like the widget. I believe these uniforms already look outdated, and this will become even more of the case as time goes on. Whereas the current uniforms have lasted well for over a decade, and honestly probably could have lasted for another decade with some minor refreshes, I doubt these will be around for more than a couple of years.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Not sure I'd put Westin, Grey Goose, and TUMI in the sexy category! Let's aspire to be tired road warriors!

Purple is interesting and different, but struggle with the color not being visible in the rest of the Delta branding.
Agreed. The fact that DL thinks Westin is a "luxury hotel", Land's End is some premium outerwear brand, and Alessi is a luxury housewares line shows how out of it (or delusional/cocky) these people are.

Alessi has gone down market, and has been there for years ever since their cheapened licensed Michael Graves line offered at Target in the late 1990s.

I'm a Westin fan myself but it ain't high touch luxury service. Some properties are downright awful like Ft. Lauderdale, SFO Airport and Chicago Michigan Avenue.

They keep saying DL is a "premium brand"...any "premium brand" doesn't need to constantly remind everyone they're a "premium brand".
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Re: purple - isn't that what happens when you mix the red and blue crayons together?

I actually kind of like the bright red FA uniforms now. They really stand out, and convert nicely to things like the pink BCRF alternates for this month. Honestly though, as long as the uniforms are functional and comfortable for the employees, I'm good with them. I've had my share of uncomfortable and impractical uniforms before...I'd have worn day-glo orange and fuschia just to have something more comfortable.

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Stupid, perhaps a generalization then yeah fine whatever. But racist, well that would imply that I thought one group is superior to another...which was never implied.

I didn't make up the name on the spot; it's one of the various checkin locations one can find when using FB at ATL.
I don't think people were complaining about the parody FB location (BTW, it's actually listed as an "Intergalactic spaceport"). For me it was very much the correlation of a black photo subject with "ghetto."

If you don't think your comment was not entirely appropriate, please at least attempt to understand why others might disagree.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
There is a lady wearing a double-breasted suit labeled "Shared In-Flight Service and Airport Customer Service: Above Wing". I thought only flight deck crew wore double-breasted suits? Is this the new flight deck crew suit? If so, where's the version for males? And the white tie looks sort of goofy.

I don't mind the purple/plum/aubergine all that much, although it does look a bit like Virgin Atlantic/America/whatever. I think they should have kept the shirts white with the male uniforms and just used purple accents (or just used a light purple/lavender shirt). The gold buttons are a bit bling-y and should be reserved for the black flight crew uniforms. I think they could have stayed with silver buttons for everyone else. I do think the cape, handbag and gloves for the ladies flight uniforms are very elegant (kind of recall the 1960s). Sadly, I doubt we'll ever see any Delta flight attendants actually strolling through the Pan Am WorldPort at JFK wearing those capes and gloves and carrying those handbags (although it would be cool). A matching hat would have been a neat retro touch. Maybe a raspberry beret? Then they could stroll through MSP.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
The fact that DL thinks ..... Land's End is some premium outerwear brandshows how out of it (or delusional/cocky) these people are.
I don't see Land's End as a choice for luxury, or like it is being compared to a haute couture.

Land's End has a stellar reputation for quality. When I hear that Delta is rolling out a line that is designed by a very trendy designer and being manufactured by an American company known for excellent quality is that Delta is trying to create something that looks great and also that can be worked in. Those FA's work hard, and those uniforms take a beating.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa
There is a lady wearing a double-breasted suit labeled "Shared In-Flight Service and Airport Customer Service: Above Wing". I thought only flight deck crew wore double-breasted suits? Is this the new flight deck crew suit? If so, where's the version for males? And the white tie looks sort of goofy.

I don't mind the purple/plum/aubergine all that much, although it does look a bit like Virgin Atlantic/America/whatever. I think they should have kept the shirts white with the male uniforms and just used purple accents (or just used a light purple/lavender shirt). The gold buttons are a bit bling-y and should be reserved for the black flight crew uniforms. I think they could have stayed with silver buttons for everyone else. I do think the cape, handbag and gloves for the ladies flight uniforms are very elegant (kind of recall the 1960s). Sadly, I doubt we'll ever see any Delta flight attendants actually strolling through the Pan Am WorldPort at JFK wearing those capes and gloves and carrying those handbags (although it would be cool). A matching hat would have been a neat retro touch. Maybe a raspberry beret? Then they could stroll through MSP.
Both men and women currently have double-breasted blazers in the current uniform program. However, the men's blazer is so hideous I've honestly only seen one man wear it. The women's is more common.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.