Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Live update on airport status (real-time over scanner) Airport Ops trying to re-open Rwy 4/22 once they can clear the adjacent taxiways of ground vehicles, first responders & media, etc. to resume some/limited operations once some cleanup is done. NTSB en route as standard protocol but "FBI also responding ???" heard direct - press conference pushed back to 1:30 PM local. Officially, airport closed until 7 PM.

FlightAware - DL 1086's tracklog - http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D.../KLGA/tracklog

True to FT's one-bag Ninja spirit, a few seen on live video walking off the wing exit with their backpack & cabin bags, ready to go (one with a relatively heavy one)
I see a nice loop before landing, probably to line up the runway approach, and some bounces in altitude during the last ten minutes.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:38 pm

Wormholes

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
What remains to be seen... can CNN stretch this out into 3 weeks of 24x7 coverage?

Glad all are OK. ^
And I can't wait until CNN's top anchorman has a round table discussion whether a possible wormhole, as in the CNN speculation of possible Malaysian flight accident cause, could have possibly caused this incident. I wonder if the Delta passengers saw the Malaysian passengers!
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
The picture shows the left side over-wing exits closed. Either it was too soon after the incident for them to be open, or indeed it confirms that something (presumably major damage or fuel spill) caused the crew to choose to leave them closed.
This photo shows why they couldn't exit through the forward doors.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by ktremor
Reports are that the pilot said that at least 1000 gallons may have spilled.
The press conference stated that fuel was leaking at a rate of one gallon per minute, which is minor (despite what CNN's reporters first said).
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
Perhaps the pilots saw the gate in the fence and decided that was their assigned gate?

All kidding aside, very glad no one was seriously injured. It will be interesting to see the components of the preliminary NTSB report.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Sigwx
From Boeing (MD)
Thanks for the lookup! I just peeked back at the photos - if you look closely at the ones without the tailcone, it seems that there's a half-inflated slide crumpled up underneath the plane.

So it would seem that the aft door handle was pulled, tailcone jettisoned, but the slide didn't have room to properly inflate between the angled tail and ground.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:43 pm

I wonder why the chutes didn't deploy.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Originally Posted by gooselee
Earlier photos before the overwing exits are open show the tailcone still on. I have no idea, but perhaps the tailcone drops off for some reason when the rear stairs are deployed in an emergency?

I can see the rear FA doing an emergency deployment of the rear stairs, realizing that the angle of the aircraft to ground makes that exit unusable, and thus why we see it deployed but unused.
gooselee,

The 'Emergency Exit' on the tail of the MD88/90 does not even use the stairs. In fact, you can't even lower the stairs from inside the aircraft as the former controls have been removed (there is a secret way to do it from inside, but only pilots would know about it, the F/As certainly wouldn't).

With the aft door armed, simply opening the door causes the tail cone to drop off and a slide to deploy. To use the exit, there is actually a catwalk that is lowered and you never touch the stairs but go straight out the circular area shown in this photo:

I suspect today's event was a controlled evacuation, which is to say that the cockpit had time to evaluate the situation and the passengers remained under control. The two forward doors were unusable as they were actually out over water. It sounds like the Crash crew identified a fuel leak on the left side and alerted the crew making it unwise to use either the aft left or left overwing. The incline of the plane may have left doubts about the tail exit as the tail cone itself may not have seperated properly and blocked the exit. That left the right overwing as the only viable exits (there is no aft right door).
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some TV "expert" has been saying that the aircraft will probably either be sold for scrap (parts worth more than whole, given cost of repairs, so I guess this aircraft was totaled today) or sent to some foreign carrier. The argument is higher USA standards and insurers being reluctant to cover airframes that have experienced structural damage.
Originally Posted by N639DL
I wouldn't be surprised if DL just writes this plane off.

N909DL is a 27.7 year old frame, 6th oldest MD-88 left.

I'm not an expert in aircraft maintenance and repair, but what I've seen looks repairable IMO. Looks like:
-Nose damaged
-Front landing gear gone, back landing gear probably damaged too
-Both wings damaged
-Fuel leak
-Probably more things that aren't pointed out in the pictures/videos (tail strike, belly damage)

Not sure if DL would want to spend the money to repair this plane and then have it retire in 3 years if not less.
I wouldn't be surprised if Delta does indeed retire this bird and then use the parts to fix/replace other parts on the remaining MD88's, kind of like how they bought a SAS MD82 just for parts.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:49 pm

If this thing lives to fly another day, I wonder what nickname it will have. FedEx had a collection of rebuilt airframes, not ok for pax but ok for boxes, and one was an SAS DC-10 that ended up in the drink at EWR after a landing overrun auto-throttle/crew screw up cluster. It was known as the Salty Dog.

This accident reminded me of USAir flight 5050, that ended up in the water at LaGarbage, but that was on takeoff. I always wondered about the wisdom of flying on a flight numbered 5050.

Originally Posted by N639DL
I wouldn't be surprised if DL just writes this plane off.

N909DL is a 27.7 year old frame, 6th oldest MD-88 left.

I'm not an expert in aircraft maintenance and repair, but what I've seen looks repairable IMO. Looks like:
-Nose damaged
-Front landing gear gone, back landing gear probably damaged too
-Both wings damaged
-Fuel leak
-Probably more things that aren't pointed out in the pictures/videos (tail strike, belly damage)

Not sure if DL would want to spend the money to repair this plane and then have it retire in 3 years if not less.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
Delta considers the flight complete. Shouldn't it be at the gate to be complete?

It's a bus gate.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
It asks me to register and log in.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Doubt 1086 was on the wrong frequency. They were busy skidding, arresting the skid, assessing the damage, and evacuating the aircraft. Calling ATC is the last priority.
Aviate, navigate, communicate.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
Delta considers the flight complete. Shouldn't it be at the gate to be complete?

They were 45 minutes late.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:04 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
Delta hasn't updated anything yet, flight still says on time. Although I think we're all pretty sure that won't happen.

I have a work meeting in NYC tomorrow so it would be nice to be able to get there tonight.
Delta rebooked me on a 6:45am tomorrow through IND that gets into LGA at 2pm. Clearly that won't work for me, and when I called everything into NYC area was full or canceled.

I booked a Sun Country flight from MSP-JFK for 4:30 but I would like to keep my Delta return flight Sunday. Sounds like I can do that if I let them know I'll be missing the first leg (at least that's what one of the ticketing agents told me).

Am I still able to get the miles I would have flown for MSP-LGA (ORC or Trip in Vain??) And if I do that do I still get the credit for the portion of the unused leg?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.