Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by george 3
Not a pilot. Don't know how to read the output you posted. However, I do see the time lapses at every roughly 27 minutes and the plane landed between the 1051am and 1122am reading. Every seen the swirling winds at LGA on bad weather days?
If the wind was "swirling", there'd be an indication on those weather read-outs that the direction was variable.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by btravel112
Listening to the ATC (starts around 2:40), where tower starts calling for DL 1086 is kind of eerie.
I have to admit that SFO Tower handled things a damn lot better. I've never flown into LGA, but I suspect LGA Tower had not visual to that end of RWY13.

During the OZ incident, SFO Tower started issuing the go-around almost immediately.

Back on topic, I'm glad that everyone on that DL flight are safe.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
And we discover today that a seawall has more than one safety function. It's very lucky it wasn't another Air Florida 90 situation.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Whoa, You SOB!

Glad everyone got off in one piece, would love to her the cockpit voice recorder! :-) the flight crew saw a lot of water towards the end of the skid!
RT
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by warreng24
I have to admit that SFO Tower handled things a damn lot better. I've never flown into LGA, but I suspect LGA Tower had not visual to that end of RWY13.

During the OZ incident, SFO Tower started issuing the go-around almost immediately.
LGA was only using a single runway for approaches, and was at a much lower traffic volume due to low IFR conditions. The Asiana SFO crash happened at an airport with much higher traffic volumes, and during VFR conditions.

There's no requirement that the tower can see every inch of the Movement Area in bad weather. That's what ASDE-X is for, along with monitoring vehicles around the airport.

LGA Twr issued go-arounds quickly as the aircraft were handed off to tower, but there were very few aircraft even ON the LGA Tower frequency at that moment due to low traffic volume. Likely, NY TRACON worked quickly to divert other inbound aircraft, so they never called LGA and were therefore never given go-arounds.

Originally Posted by roadtriper
Glad everyone got off in one piece, would love to her the cockpit voice recorder! :-)
Too bad the actual CVR audio won't ever be released, but we'll likely get a transcript in a few weeks/months.

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by deeruck
If the wind was "swirling", there'd be an indication on those weather read-outs that the direction was variable.
Well, you guys are right, I'm wrong and we'll wait to see what the investigators say.

Programs: Delta Skymiles KM (Charter Member)
Did they let the DM's off first?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
It looks like Delta won't be able to deliver the bags in 20 minutes, so these folks stand to get 2500 miles each.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by roadtriper
Glad everyone got off in one piece, would love to her the cockpit voice recorder! :-) the flight crew saw a lot of water towards the end of the skid!
RT
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Too bad the actual CVR audio won't ever be released, but we'll likely get a transcript in a few weeks/months.
I would imagine this comes close to what it the CVR captured... Followed by some very relieved sounding cursing.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BogusRogus
Did they let the DM's off first?
Here's a view from first class:

h/t @ABC
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Wolf Blitzer seems to have gotten some of the ATC report.

" Airport is closed. airport is closed. we got a 3-4

Please advise crash rescue, LaGuardia airport is closed at this time."
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:46 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
LiveATC edited clip (MP3):

http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.....0;attach=8234
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: AS 75k
Post #28 has the ATC audio in it.

It's a bit odd, but it seems like 1086 went on the wrong frequency or something, because the tower is calling them and then 30 seconds later the ground crews are saying the airport is closed.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by dstan
At the beginning of the recording, the controller initially calls the wind at 030 at 09 kts for DL1086's landing clearance, then 020 at 10 for the departure from rwy 4, then 020 at 10 in response to the unattributed "wind check" request.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Post #28 has the ATC audio in it.
The clip I posted was edited down to just the salient parts - 5 min instead of 31 min

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.