Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:39 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
This reminds me of something I've heard from many a pilot. When you fly: Wear close-toe shoes, and keep them on until five minutes after landing and from final approach through touchdown. If you're asked to evacuate, you'll be glad you did.
Yep..plus my cell phone and wallet/passports are on my person during takeoff and landing...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Aviate
Navigate
Devaluate
Evaluate
Renegotiate
Self-flagellate
OhmYGate
Near the Gate - Good Enough!
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:51 pm
MRW

Photos seem to show part of the tailcone missing. I'm also wondering why no one is evacuating down the tail airstairs.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SSF556
Yep..plus my cell phone and wallet/passports are on my person during takeoff and landing...
Definitely.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MRW
Photos seem to show part of the tailcone missing. I'm also wondering why no one is evacuating down the tail airstairs.
Earlier photos before the overwing exits are open show the tailcone still on. I have no idea, but perhaps the tailcone drops off for some reason when the rear stairs are deployed in an emergency?

I can see the rear FA doing an emergency deployment of the rear stairs, realizing that the angle of the aircraft to ground makes that exit unusable, and thus why we see it deployed but unused.

Disclaimer: I am not anywhere close to being an expert so anyone who knows anything about Mad Dogs should feel free to correct my guesses.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
Very glad that everyone on board and on the ground seems to be okay.

But, good lord. CNN, that bastion of reporting integrity, is stressing, based off a single, very far away still photo, that the rear landing gear failed or broke off. Followed by commentary about cancelled flights and a tone hinting at why wasn't this flight cancelled, too?

I'm hearing questions about the runway and its traction. Pilots of earlier landings on 13 reported both good and poor breaking action. There are even comments vaguely criticizing LGA for staying open.

Earlier there was discussion of the flight landing with a tailwind. The reporter was saying that it's the pilot's ultimate responsibility to either accept or reject a runway/approach.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:22 pm

From locating an MD 88 QRH online and looking at the performance inflight section, it would appear that with a 5 knot tailwind, flap 40 and POOR braking action reported, the weight would need to be around the 120000lb mark to land on the landing distance available of 7003ft on 13/31. Of course I don't have the braking action report as passed to the flight crew. But just looking at worse case. Those are back of a fag packet numbers and nowhere near as accurate as they can be worked out to.

Originally Posted by gooselee
Earlier photos before the overwing exits are open show the tailcone still on. I have no idea, but perhaps the tailcone drops off for some reason when the rear stairs are deployed in an emergency?

I can see the rear FA doing an emergency deployment of the rear stairs, realizing that the angle of the aircraft to ground makes that exit unusable, and thus why we see it deployed but unused.

Disclaimer: I am not anywhere close to being an expert so anyone who knows anything about Mad Dogs should feel free to correct my guesses.

From Boeing (MD)

There are eight cabin emergency egress doors; a forward entrance door, service doors (right forward fuselage and left aft fuselage), four overwing emergency exit doors, (two each fuselage side), and, when the tail cone is jettisoned, the aft entrance door.
When the aft entrance door is opened using the emergency exit handle, the tail cone is jettisoned and a slide is automatically deployed and inflated. A back-up inflation handle is provided on the aft entrance door slide should the slide fail to inflate automatically. All door slides, except aft entrance door slide, have integral emergency lighting.

Last edited by Sigwx; Mar 5, 2015 at 1:30 pm
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:26 pm

A friend of mine working MAD-JFK, as of 20 minutes ago is sitting BOS. They were diverted up there. No idea when they'll be leaving for JFK.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
The airport has been closed!
I'm aware. Those were today's remaining scheduled flights for this bird.

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Glad nobody was hurt!

This ends DL's streak of having no crashes. Anyone recall the last crash DL had?
At least their streak of no fatal crashes is still alive.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by airplanegod
Well now that I hear everyone is ok I can worry about the aircraft now. From the video/pictures it doesn't look like the plane received too much damage (the wing looks intact, no gashes in the front of the aircraft) but then again there could be a ton of internal damage. Too bad, I love the MD88's. Glad it didn't go into the water either, would've been a lot more injuries or even fatalities.
Some TV "expert" has been saying that the aircraft will probably either be sold for scrap (parts worth more than whole, given cost of repairs, so I guess this aircraft was totaled today) or sent to some foreign carrier. The argument is higher USA standards and insurers being reluctant to cover airframes that have experienced structural damage.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm hearing questions about the runway and its traction. Pilots of earlier landings on 13 reported both good and poor breaking action. ...
'nuff said ...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by jn in ca
Oh yeah, CNN's days as the bastion of reporting integrity ended years ago, but if there was any doubt, the Malaysia flight put a nail in the coffin of CNN's respectability.

Yeah. Judging by the photos, the news stations claiming the wing broke off are overstating things. (No surprise) It's fair to say the wing tip was clipped. Enough to spill fuel. In defense of the journalists, they got the "wing broken off" story from one of the passengers.

I'd love to start getting a sense of the repairability of this plane. I'm assuming this plane is not a total loss. It will fly again.

I don't know if ATC is in the same location as the tower cam, but the tower cam the local Fox station was streaming right after the news broke was white-out. Viewers couldn't even tell there was a plane out there. Probably no better for ATC.
I heard that passenger's live interview as claiming that the aircraft had a "broken wing" not wing broken off. I remember the words because it seemed like an unusual but colorful description, like a bird with a broken wing.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
I wouldn't be surprised if DL just writes this plane off.

N909DL is a 27.7 year old frame, 6th oldest MD-88 left.

I'm not an expert in aircraft maintenance and repair, but what I've seen looks repairable IMO. Looks like:
-Nose damaged
-Front landing gear gone, back landing gear probably damaged too
-Both wings damaged
-Fuel leak
-Probably more things that aren't pointed out in the pictures/videos (tail strike, belly damage)

Not sure if DL would want to spend the money to repair this plane and then have it retire in 3 years if not less.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Glad nobody was hurt!

This ends DL's streak of having no crashes. Anyone recall the last crash DL had?
Early 2000s, if I recall correctly. International flight - perhaps to Ireland? Exited the runway with no one killed. Last fatal incident wasn't a crash but an uncontained engine failure that killed 2 in summer of 96 or 98. Also an MD-88 if memory serves.

That's if you don't consider Comair part of Delta, which had a CRJ crash in LEX back in 2007.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.