Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:14 pm

LiveATC.net requires login to listen to archived ATC - otherwise the forums are open without creating a userid.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It asks me to register and log in.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
This reminds me of something I've heard from many a pilot. When you fly: Wear close-toe shoes, and keep them on until five minutes after landing and from final approach through touchdown. If you're asked to evacuate, you'll be glad you did.
I think you mean five minutes after takeoff, but this is what I do too. No flip-flops, mules, sandals, or shoes that I can't wear to run through an airport if necessary.

I stopped taking off the shoes upon boarding when I heard about the SQ FAs that would have survived a crash if they hadn't been wearing the pretty little slippers that are part of their uniforms. Since then, they've been issued heavy sturdy looking black leather sensible shoes to wear at the beginning and end of every flight; it's required and apparently strictly enforced by SQ.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:19 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
This could be any one of us. Think about that and get back to me as whether this incident is humorous in the slightest.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
This photo shows why they couldn't exit through the forward doors.
Nor, could they go to the bathroom on the plane first (as the're locked for landing) since it took a while to deplane, which according to the flyer sitting in F interviewe, was orderely but few exception, women & children left the plane first & later boarded the buses to take them to the terminal.
Video - http://7online.com/news/video-delta-...at-lga/545957/
Here you can see 1 pax with the light color backpack and another holding a dark color (heavy) bag in his right hand, then shifting it to the left/convert to backpack mode while walking calmly on the snow-covered grounds.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by javabytes
Early 2000s, if I recall correctly. International flight - perhaps to Ireland? Exited the runway with no one killed. Last fatal incident wasn't a crash but an uncontained engine failure that killed 2 in summer of 96 or 98. Also an MD-88 if memory serves.

That's if you don't consider Comair part of Delta, which had a CRJ crash in LEX back in 2007.
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Glad nobody was hurt!

This ends DL's streak of having no crashes. Anyone recall the last crash DL had?
Weren't there fatalities when a DL L-1011 crashed upon approach at DFW? If I recall correctly, it was during a thunderstrom and windshear was determined to be a contributing factor.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pbartp
Weren't there fatalities when a DL L-1011 crashed upon approach at DFW? If I recall correctly, it was during a thunderstrom and windshear was determined to be a contributing factor.
You are referring to the 1985 crash of Delta 191.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by airplanegod
I wouldn't be surprised if Delta does indeed retire this bird and then use the parts to fix/replace other parts on the remaining MD88's, kind of like how they bought a SAS MD82 just for parts.
Another vote for Delta scrapping the ac..the photo I have seen shows a sign slicing into one of the wings..that repair will weigh heavily on their decision to repair or scrap
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DL 191, 2 Aug 1985

they also lost a 72S on takeoff at DFW a few years later, around 15 fatalities among approx 100 on board -- crew had improperly set the flaps/slats
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
Delta rebooked me on a 6:45am tomorrow through IND that gets into LGA at 2pm. Clearly that won't work for me, and when I called everything into NYC area was full or canceled.

I booked a Sun Country flight from MSP-JFK for 4:30 but I would like to keep my Delta return flight Sunday. Sounds like I can do that if I let them know I'll be missing the first leg (at least that's what one of the ticketing agents told me).

Am I still able to get the miles I would have flown for MSP-LGA (ORC or Trip in Vain??) And if I do that do I still get the credit for the portion of the unused leg?
AFAIK you cannot get both a refund and ORC for the same flights.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
'nuff said ...
Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun (since no one was killed in breaking the plane rather than braking today). I wondered when someone would notice.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:43 pm

Atlanta drivers always have trouble driving in snow/ice...

/Sorry...I had to do that. Glad to know everyone was safe though.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:54 pm

I'd like to add that Gail Grimmett, SVP for NY, represented DL at the news conference around 1:00-1:30 pm local NYC time today. Her appearance was brief but IMO effective and appropriate for the situation.

Some of us have met here in person.

Does Richard Anderson fly to NYC to appear in person in situations like this?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:54 pm

I'm booked on a Delta MD88 in a month
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by airplanegod
I wouldn't be surprised if Delta does indeed retire this bird and then use the parts to fix/replace other parts on the remaining MD88's, kind of like how they bought a SAS MD82 just for parts.
I've also heard the term "write off" and I would be surprised if they didn't do that..

Bob H
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:06 pm

Does Richard Anderson fly to NYC to appear in person in situations like this?
Probably not. I cannot imagine what value that would present to the situation and DL has plenty of qualified people in NYC to represent the company, Gail amongst them.

FWIW, I have a transcription of the ATC recording and a consolidated MP3 file from it on my blog now.

From what I can tell there must have been an alarm or sensor which was tripped by the plane breaching the fence which triggered in the fire station. "Car 100" was dispatched, crossed RWY 4 @ Taxiway Papa and 15 seconds later had visibility of the incident sufficient to close the runway and activate the emergency response situation. Tower had been trying to contact the plane for more than a minute at that point before Car 100 called it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.