Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by gooselee
Very glad that everyone on board and on the ground seems to be okay.

But, good lord. CNN, that bastion of reporting integrity, is stressing, based off a single, very far away still photo, that the rear landing gear failed or broke off. Followed by commentary about cancelled flights and a tone hinting at why wasn't this flight cancelled, too?
What remains to be seen... can CNN stretch this out into 3 weeks of 24x7 coverage?

Glad all are OK. ^
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Post #28 has the ATC audio in it.

It's a bit odd, but it seems like 1086 went on the wrong frequency or something, because the tower is calling them and then 30 seconds later the ground crews are saying the airport is closed.
Doubt 1086 was on the wrong frequency. They were busy skidding, arresting the skid, assessing the damage, and evacuating the aircraft. Calling ATC is the last priority.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
It looks like Delta won't be able to deliver the bags in 20 minutes, so these folks stand to get 2500 miles each.
You win. All other humor posts after this one are futile.
^
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Authorities reporting that LGA to reopen at about 2:00 PM using the other runway (22).
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Delta considers the flight complete. Shouldn't it be at the gate to be complete?

Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
It looks like Delta won't be able to deliver the bags in 20 minutes, so these folks stand to get 2500 miles each.
Originally Posted by BogusRogus
Did they let the DM's off first?
These had me on the floor laughing, great job guys!

Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
Delta considers the flight complete. Shouldn't it be at the gate to be complete?
Well, I guess they figure if they got you to your destination airport in one piece but not the aircraft, they did their job.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
What remains to be seen... can CNN stretch this out into 3 weeks of 24x7 coverage?
It depends, have they embarrassingly gone through the nationality of everyone on board yet?

Glad everyone is OK.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
You beat me to that posting.

Per FlightStats, at 1214 DL changed the gate arrival to 1114
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Authorities reporting that LGA to reopen at about 2:00 PM using the other runway (22).

Outbound flights only, inbound still cancelled.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold

That's nothing. Wait until the Delta apologists get here. I can hear it now... "Over-entitled elites thinking DL should deliver them right up to the gate". And "just be glad you are safe!!!!".
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie

The flight is definitely complete.

Relieved to see everyone is safe.

Any idea what this, and all the other weather in the NE, is doing to DL's ops in the rest of the country today?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
I'm also surprised that there were no pictures of passengers evacuating with bare feet because we all know how many people love to put their bare feet up on the bulkhead/seat/armrest/headrest/overhead bin.

But joking aside, I'm glad everyone was safe and those pilots must have been really calm. They didn't evac on the left side with the fuel spill so they must have been able to assess the situation quickly and accurately. I can't imagine how terrifying it must have been for them thinking they might be going into the bay.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
This reminds me of something I've heard from many a pilot. When you fly: Wear close-toe shoes, and keep them on until five minutes after landing and from final approach through touchdown. If you're asked to evacuate, you'll be glad you did.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
This reminds me of something I've heard from many a pilot. When you fly: Wear close-toe shoes, and keep them on until five minutes after landing and from final approach through touchdown. If you're asked to evacuate, you'll be glad you did.
Yeap - same with departure. Until we get up to Delta's triple-ding 10k feet, I'm leaving my shoes on. I'd hate to try to find my shoes after an RTO.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Cargojon
You win. All other humor posts after this one are futile.
^
I'll try anyway.

They'll say this was weather related and won't pay out the 2,500 miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.