Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Nor, could they go to the bathroom on the plane first (as the're locked for landing) since it took a while to deplane, which according to the flyer sitting in F interviewe, was orderely but few exception, women & children left the plane first & later boarded the buses to take them to the terminal.
Video - http://7online.com/news/video-delta-...at-lga/545957/
Here you can see 1 pax with the light color backpack and another holding a dark color (heavy) bag in his right hand, then shifting it to the left/convert to backpack mode while walking calmly on the snow-covered grounds.
Are you kidding me? That whole crew deserves to be fired for not getting the passengers off of that plane. There was a fuel leak! Every instruction I have ever heard was to get off of the aircraft as quickly as possible. You don't sit around after a crash, you get yourself off of that aircraft.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
Glad everyone is ok. That is a ..... of a runway with a headwind and good vis. You'd have to really stick it with a tail wind of 20 knots.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM Elite Plus, Aegean
I am so happy everyone got off the plane safely with relatively few injuries. I am struck, however, that after what really has to be called a crash at a major NYC airport that after the initial flurry of coverage on TV from 11-2 most networks are not even starting off with the story. CNN is -- after all, thanks to Malaysian Air, it is Crash News Network -- but now, after 5pm, it's giving only a short amount of coverage. MSNBC started with Ferguson, and Fox with Hillary. Seriously? An accident as major as this one?What's going on?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Agree with the other voices chiming in that this will likely result in retirement, given that DL was likely going to start moving the MD-88s out of the fleet in 2-4 years anyway.

Also, just a reminder and some perspective - for anyone who has to call today, try to be patient and understanding with the call center folks. From a short conversation with an agent an hour ago, it sounds like they're under a lot of pressure - they're working extra hours to cover the call volume, but don't have a ton of options to offer people right now with the LGA closure and the average caller is pretty cranky about it. The more pleasant and courteous everyone is, the faster everything will get back on track (and the more likely you are to get a favorable rebooking).
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yolandearagon
I am so happy everyone got off the plane safely with relatively few injuries. I am struck, however, that after what really has to be called a crash at a major NYC airport that after the initial flurry of coverage on TV from 11-2 most networks are not even starting off with the story. CNN is -- after all, thanks to Malaysian Air, it is Crash News Network -- but now, after 5pm, it's giving only a short amount of coverage. MSNBC started with Ferguson, and Fox with Hillary. Seriously? An accident as major as this one?What's going on?
Everyone's safe and the incident is being handled professionally by Delta and the New York first responders. Air crashes are only interesting to the media if there's mass injury or intrigue involved...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Nobody was seriously injured, no fire started, the fuselage didn't break and go crashing into the bay, etc. While that's great news, it means the incident no longer makes "great news."
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: WN A+, DL nobody, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by BobH

Also, Delta dot dumb shows 1086 "arrived" on time.

Bob H
Well it did arrive and the pax walked past a gate so there we go.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Are you kidding me? That whole crew deserves to be fired for not getting the passengers off of that plane. There was a fuel leak! Every instruction I have ever heard was to get off of the aircraft as quickly as possible. You don't sit around after a crash, you get yourself off of that aircraft.
I think I'll go with the directions of a highly trained crew that got all of the passengers off of the plane safely over every instruction you ever heard.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM Elite Plus, Aegean
Originally Posted by houserulz77
Nobody was seriously injured, no fire started, the fuselage didn't break and go crashing into the bay, etc. While that's great news, it means the incident no longer makes "great news."
I understand the way your remarks were intended, houserulz77, but I find this highly unusual, and most news stations would consider this, in your words -- great news. (Sad.) But there were some early indications that may possiblypoint to more than weather as the cause, since two flights landed a few minutes earlier and had no braking problems, the plane according to some passengers seemed to be coming down very fast, the left wing partially broke up, the slide on the right rear didn't deploy, the plane was 28 yrs old, there was some fuel spillage, etc. And a bit more space and it would've ended up in water. Maybe all that was early speculation, but at least some was provided by pilots.

I call this news and still question why while the early coverage (which did note that hardly anyone was injured seriously) was extensive, but as soon as it got near prime time other stories (which hardly seem comparable since most are a day or two old) took over the lead.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by a7800
I think I'll go with the directions of a highly trained crew that got all of the passengers off of the plane safely over every instruction you ever heard.
I have a couple of friends who work with the NTSB. I'll take their suggestions.

Oh, and it's likely that the crew may not survive a crash. I suppose you'll just sit there and wait for their ghost to give you instructions?

If I'm lucky enough to survive a plane crash then I am going to get myself off that aircraft as soon as I possibly can.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
I understand the way your remarks were intended, houserulz77, but I find this highly unusual, and most news stations would consider this, in your words -- great news. (Sad.) But there were some early indications that may possiblypoint to more than weather as the cause, since two flights landed a few minutes earlier and had no braking problems, the plane according to some passengers seemed to be coming down very fast, the left wing partially broke up, the slide on the right rear didn't deploy, the plane was 28 yrs old, there was some fuel spillage, etc. And a bit more space and it would've ended up in water. Maybe all that was early speculation, but at least some was provided by pilots.

I call this news and still question why while the early coverage (which did note that hardly anyone was injured seriously) was extensive, but as soon as it got near prime time other stories (which hardly seem comparable since most are a day or two old) took over the lead.
Were the 2 before it MD88s?

Last edited by Unexpected Rough Heir; Mar 5, 2015 at 4:12 pm
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Unexpected Rough Heir
Were the 2 before it MD88s?
One was an A319, and one was an unspecified regional jet, according to ATC. http://blog.wandr.me/2015/03/transcr...runway-egress/
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:19 pm

I know the runways are different but road conditions in the area at the time were really bad.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:21 pm
Suspended

They didnt roll the whole runway from what I am being told, they had 3k feet of runway when they slipped off.... based on what I understand. I bet there will be a story about the brakes on the Mad Dogs before this one is over...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I have a couple of friends who work with the NTSB. I'll take their suggestions.

Oh, and it's likely that the crew may not survive a crash. I suppose you'll just sit there and wait for their ghost to give you instructions?

If I'm lucky enough to survive a plane crash then I am going to get myself off that aircraft as soon as I possibly can.
From the sound of it, you would probably jump ahead of women and children.

An orderly exit with clear concise commands is the only way to prevent panic.

Try taking an Able Body Passenger course sometime and you might have a different outlook.

DL calls it Road Warrior training.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.