Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta DM experience flying China Eastern

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta DM experience flying China Eastern

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
I have booked China Eastern tickets on Expedia without any problems.

As for the FF#, you can always enter the number during online checkin at their website China Eastern Airline-US Official Site?Airline Tickets & Travel Deals
Expedia works well to buy.

Online check-in is still a dream, but I called to give them my number or when you check-in.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KOTAR1988
Do you have to book these tickets on the "MU" airlines's website? Or, for that matter, do you have to book these airfares on the partner airlines website's? Lastly, if your Delta FF# doesn't appear after entering it on the reservation and the language barrier prevents you from doing it at "check in", could you just send the boarding passes to Delta for "MQD" credit?

Thanks in advance. I've been asking this question for over 2 years with no straight answer.
1/2. No, you can book on any OTA or via China Eastern directly, as long as it's a published fare and the fare class is one that is eligible to earn miles. The one exception is if you book a China Eastern flight as a Delta flight number (e.g. "DL 9927 operated by China Eastern"), it will earn as if it was a Delta flight (based on what you spend, not on distance flown.)

3. Yes, you can send the boarding passes to Delta and they will correct it after the fact. Make sure to save your original receipt as well to prove the fare classes that you booked, as the boarding pass isn't always an accurate record of that and agents may request the receipt as well.

3a. China Eastern's agents speak surprisingly good English, by and large, and if someone is struggling they'll usually be really good about summoning a colleague who can help interpret. I wouldn't worry much about the language barrier during airport checkin or onboard.
KOTAR1988 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
15 years ago MU was firmly in 3rd place amongst the Chinese Big 3. CZ was the best and CA somewhere inbetween. This still the case IMHO.

But, there has been steady improvement since they joined ST, yet on everything from IT to infra-structure there is still a lot of room for improvement. They are still in 3rd place (solidly) - but things get a little better each year. It is embarrassing that boarding passes and receipts need to be kept until crediting (still) - but things are much better in terms of posting than it was early on where mileage posting without a letter to DL was the exceptions rather than the norm. Again, it has gotten better but AF/KL seamlessness (which is not that seamless at times) is not quite there.

The new terminal in PVG (once it is opened) should do wonders (just as it has for CZ in CAN) in terms of a Customer experience (T1 PVG is still horrible) for connecting and O/D traffic. CX they are not, nor likely will they be anytime soon. Frankly, on long haul the main thing that matters to me is the seat (which is great along with the price) in J. The yawning gaps on food and wine - still - I find amusing but the current gap is now not that far from more basic ST J like on KL. Being a better tiered ST J in Air product - such as on KE - they are still years away from.

MU for me is still in the ‘expect mediocre and be surprised when they are not’ category.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CoMooter
15 years ago MU was firmly in 3rd place amongst the Chinese Big 3. CZ was the best and CA somewhere inbetween. This still the case IMHO.
IMO, MU is better than CA, CZ, and HU now (admittedly a low bar), as long as you get a nice plane. I try to avoid FM though, which was actually among the best 20 years ago, but hasn't changed much.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL PM,
A "BIG" Thank You!

Originally Posted by BenA
1/2. No, you can book on any OTA or via China Eastern directly, as long as it's a published fare and the fare class is one that is eligible to earn miles. The one exception is if you book a China Eastern flight as a Delta flight number (e.g. "DL 9927 operated by China Eastern"), it will earn as if it was a Delta flight (based on what you spend, not on distance flown.)

3. Yes, you can send the boarding passes to Delta and they will correct it after the fact. Make sure to save your original receipt as well to prove the fare classes that you booked, as the boarding pass isn't always an accurate record of that and agents may request the receipt as well.

3a. China Eastern's agents speak surprisingly good English, by and large, and if someone is struggling they'll usually be really good about summoning a colleague who can help interpret. I wouldn't worry much about the language barrier during airport checkin or onboard.

Thank You! I just booked "JustFly.com" JFK to HKT Business Class for $2820.00. I was UNABLE to enter my Delta Skymiles Number, however, on the China Eastern's website they only offer 2 types/sets of Business Class fares that correspond to the mileage earn chart, so I will let you know how it works out. Crossing my fingers.

Thanks to all.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by CoMooter

But, there has been steady improvement since they joined ST, yet on everything from IT to infra-structure there is still a lot of room for improvement. They are still in 3rd place (solidly) - but things get a little better each year. It is embarrassing that boarding passes and receipts need to be kept until crediting (still) - but things are much better in terms of posting than it was early on where mileage posting without a letter to DL was the exceptions rather than the norm. Again, it has gotten better but AF/KL seamlessness (which is not that seamless at times) is not quite there.

The new terminal in PVG (once it is opened) should do wonders (just as it has for CZ in CAN) in terms of a Customer experience (T1 PVG is still horrible) for connecting and O/D traffic. CX they are not, nor likely will they be anytime soon. Frankly, on long haul the main thing that matters to me is the seat (which is great along with the price) in J. The yawning gaps on food and wine - still - I find amusing but the current gap is now not that far from more basic ST J like on KL. Being a better tiered ST J in Air product - such as on KE - they are still years away from.

MU for me is still in the ‘expect mediocre and be surprised when they are not’ category.
thought the new terminal is just a satellite. there is no actual terminal 3. just could not find any information regarding an actual T3.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by frankflieslots
thought the new terminal is just a satellite. there is no actual terminal 3. just could not find any information regarding an actual T3.
Articles about it are definitely sparse in both Chinese and English, but at least this one provides a rendering:

https://www.dfnionline.com/lead-stor...al-03-09-2018/
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:00 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'm playing around with an MU booking on Justfly.com and am getting this message,
>>JustFly Customer Alert!
China Eastern Airlines is currently experiencing unexpected fluctuations in flight prices and overall availability. The price shown below may not be final until you attempt to book. In the event of a price change, your credit card will not be charged without your approval first.<<

Has anyone's booking ended up being at a higher price?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I just booked an MU trip using expedia. Been about 26 hours now and the fare, booked into I and J hasn't changed in my expedia account. I did look at the itin on the MU web site but it only offered D fares,never saw I or J and the price was about 2 x the I/J booking. Also verified the booking using the ticket number with the MU ticket verification site.
I'd booked MU via expedia about a year ago but ended up cancelling when schedule changes went completely wild. To their credit, expedia handled the cancellation and refund and eliminated the penalty.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by mot29
I just booked an MU trip using expedia. Been about 26 hours now and the fare, booked into I and J hasn't changed in my expedia account. I did look at the itin on the MU web site but it only offered D fares,never saw I or J and the price was about 2 x the I/J booking. Also verified the booking using the ticket number with the MU ticket verification site.
I'd booked MU via expedia about a year ago but ended up cancelling when schedule changes went completely wild. To their credit, Expedia handled the cancellation and refund and eliminated the penalty.
I too was nervous, but everything worked as advertised and the trip itself was great. No stupid announcements all night long in multiple languages, no having to search for FA's for a drink of water, etc
I even manage to select seats online, though it did take me a month of trying.

I just wrote about it, here, at the end of this thread:
Anyone taken China Eastern Air recently?

Last edited by wxman22; Nov 6, 2018 at 5:26 am Reason: added link
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KOTAR1988
Thank You! I just booked "JustFly.com" JFK to HKT Business Class for $2820.00. I was UNABLE to enter my Delta Skymiles Number, however, on the China Eastern's website they only offer 2 types/sets of Business Class fares that correspond to the mileage earn chart, so I will let you know how it works out. Crossing my fingers.

Thanks to all.
Call the customer service number for MU. Plan on 10-20 min hold time, but will confirm seats and add your DL number. When you check in, make sure your DL number prints on the boarding pass- if it does, credit posts automatically in a week or two.

Also, enter your ticket number into Garuda's website (Skyteam partner) and it should pull up your MU info to confirm booking class, seats, etc.
KOTAR1988 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Just got off LAX-PVG, seat 7L. Comfy seat, private, great sleep, PJ's available. Personal, professional and attentive service. Food fine, nothing special. See's candies after dinner we're nice...
But bring your own twin-plug headset or earbuds, as theirs are in terrible shape.
BenA and KOTAR1988 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by ULDB65
Call the customer service number for MU. Plan on 10-20 min hold time, but will confirm seats and add your DL number. When you check in, make sure your DL number prints on the boarding pass- if it does, credit posts automatically in a week or two.

Also, enter your ticket number into Garuda's website (Skyteam partner) and it should pull up your MU info to confirm booking class, seats, etc.
Did you try 95530 (with Shanghai prefix if not in China)? I've never waited on hold for more than 2 minutes.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moondog
Did you try 95530 (with Shanghai prefix if not in China)? I've never waited on hold for more than 2 minutes.
I've always called the US customer service line; it connects you with super helpful folks based in LAX who are actual human beings who can solve real problems, but it does take a really long time to get a hold of them at first (30+ minutes in my case.) On the plus side, once I got through the agent owned my problem and continued to work on it over e-mail so I wouldn't have to stay on the phone. One of the best customer service experiences I've had in ages, from an airline you'd never expect it from...

As a side note, though, MU's hold music is an absolute travesty - a 16 second loop that isn't even looped correctly...
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL PM,
Thank You!

Originally Posted by ULDB65

ULDB65, Thanks! I appreciated your reply. Will let you know how it turns out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.