Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RichMSN
The DL reserve card will be canceled on May 1.

Nice going, DL.
Sorry for quoting myself.

What really burns me is that I can't even bring my wife in with me with a $450 yearly fee.

Shoot, less than a decade ago, I paid about $600 for a 3-year membership with NW.

I think this will drive me to cancel my DL Reserve and I'll probably do it next week when I return home.

I'm the first one to mention it at the MKE SkyClub. I was polite about it and she feels there will be a significant backlash.

Good on you, Delta. Keep serving third-rate liquor and raising your prices.
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Interesting decision. Though I'm starting to dread every time DL sends me an email as I'm expecting yet another devaluation.

Anyway, I do think the SC's are crowded. But honestly as much as it's been a zoo it's been tolerable. Having less guests probably will be a nice thing. And though I rarely ever used the guest perk, it would be nice to have.

Nevertheless, if DL does this and wants exclusivity, then they should upgrade their food/drink offerings from the paltry same old stuff they have. Nearly every other ST lounge internationally serves more and better stuff than DL does.
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Refund?

@DLCorpGal -- I am a DM, but part of my 5 years or so of "prepaid" membership was paid with cash (before DM was introduced). I will no longer be getting what I paid for (access for friends, family), so I assume I am eligible for a refund. How do I obtain said refund?

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by DLCorpGal
• Beginning May 1, 2014, all customers who receive complimentary Delta Sky Club access as a benefit of their eligible credit or charge card will no longer receive complimentary guest access. A $29 fee per guest Club visit will apply.
DLCorpGal, could you please clarify, for Amex Platinum card holders does the $29 fee apply to immediate family members (i.e., spouse and children) or just other "guests"?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM, MM
I ^^^ Delta for this change.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I, for one, am glad they are making some effort to make it exclusive again. When everyone is elite, nobody is elite. Nice things should COST MONEY. Get the right people in the club, the club improves.
You can pack a Wal-Mart with as many rich businessmen as you'd like, but if the management is still pushing cheap booze and stale carrots, it's never going to be "nice."

I don't have a problem paying more for equal quality to cut down on crowding, but jacking up prices in light of the MANY recent cost cutting moves by DL is just plain skeevy.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by oh912flyer
Do you seriously want to go there on a flyertalk message board?

How about you put yourselves in our shoes for a moment?

My wife and I travel over 200,000 miles a year on DL. We travel with our kids at most once a year, during which we frequent the lounge. Our alternative is to have them out there with the unwashed masses while we're in an over-crowded restaurant or food court where some creepy dude can stare at them from a distance (or wait.. maybe that's you in the club? ).
Hurling insults doesn't make your case any better. (Also, it's a violation of FT TOS). Besides, I gave up on the SkyClub years ago so you won't be finding me in there.

So no, you're not subsidizing anything, we more than pay DL through several tens of thousands of $$$ on flights (we both fly F all the time) for that once a year trip with the kids.
You pay for transport which Delta provides. You consume more so rightly you should pay more. Or do you expect a price break on your flights too?

We almost certainly spend more with DL than 99% of the people on this board, so take your condescending attitude and ...
Condescending attitude? Yeah, right.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I, for one, am glad they are making some effort to make it exclusive again. When everyone is elite, nobody is elite. Nice things should COST MONEY. Get the right people in the club, the club improves.
Yes, nice things should cost money. If you think the club offerings will improve, I've got a bridge to sell you.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
...if DL does this and wants exclusivity, then they should upgrade their food/drink offerings from the paltry same old stuff they have...
I think all mainline carriers have realized this and are working towards it. Will take some time.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by scootr29
I guess Delta really wants me to cancel my Delta Reserve card....so I pay $450 a year for an occasional "upgrade" and now I will have to pay $29 for my wife to join me in the Sky Club so we can get some mixed nuts and an apple.....OK.
Yep. Exactly how I feel.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Overcrowding is a huge concern but even if the place was empty I don't think its worth the cost at current F&B levels. My 3 year runs out in May and I'll be done after that.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM HH Gold Marriott Gold IHG Spire
Originally Posted by LBJ
I think many folks are misreading the change for Plat Amex/Reserve card holders. The $29 fee only applies to guests, not to you when entering individually.
You are right, I did misread it..
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Can I 'buy' my husband a Club membership w my miles, or would I have to transfer them to his account first (w a fee)? I have an AMEX Plat to get in & plenty of miles to burn to get around the fee to guest him in...though my guess is it's not as easy as 'paying' w my miles or others would have suggested it as a work around.
[INACTIVE] Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Please clarify if this is only for DL co-branded cards or if it does indeed in the Platinum CardŽ from American Express (non-DL branded).

Thanks.
Centurion, Platinum and Delta Reserve card holders will still receive complimentary access for themselves and there will be a $29 per guest visit fee (max 2 guests).

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
I think all mainline carriers have realized this and are working towards it. Will take some time.
I hope you are correct, although as always the improvements will take time but the price increase is immediate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.