Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:43 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by danspartan
I'm currently PM dropping to GM (after a 3 years DM). Travel change from xcountry/europe to short hops and only 15-20 trips/year.

Already coming in for a hard landing on the loss of privileges, but thought "at least I got the DR AMEX so I got the lounge access still".

Wow, just wow.

So my $450 DR AMEX now gets me
-companion ticket, bags, and some bonus miles

So question becomes, whats the best non-airline branded travel points CC.

BTW, AMEX is still listing lounge access as DR card benefit.

Sigh.
They need to clarify the Delta Reserve benefits...if I have to pay for my wife to enter the club in addition to the $450 card fee...it is a no brainer to get rid of the card.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
The price goes up while the quality of the experience goes down? I guess that's supply and demand, but I don't know anyone in their right might would would pay for membership.

Delta really put a good spin on this "enhancement", making it seem like we're getting something better. All it is, is a price increase.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As long as people can freely bring in their entire families, including dogs BTW, the SC experience will remain unappealing. Why should others subsidize those who have many children and continue to experience overcrowding, noise, etc. due to the ones who bring large and uncontrolled families into SCs? DL is missing an opportunity to genuinely make their lounges more attractive and drive business travelers to travel with DL.
+1,000,000
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The DL reserve card will be canceled on May 1.

Nice going, DL.

Programs: Skyteam
I do expect scones, Greek yogurts, and wrapped sandwiches with the exc membership
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by cmonster78
I literally just upgraded my Amex from Platinum to Reserve for the SkyClub benefit. I mostly use the Skyclub with my spouse on more leisurely paced personal travel, so this change is frustrating for me. I'm not pleased with the short notice period.
I did exactly the same thing. Very likely that after some travel this month, I will call and downgrade back to the plat card. Don't mind, really, just solidifies I won't use the club, which is what DL and others here seem to want. Ok by me.
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by RichMSN
The DL reserve card will be canceled on May 1.

Nice going, DL.
this

I am happy to see this change. I am sure it will cost some money (my wife travels with me on occasion) but the reduction of crowds would be most welcome. I would pay for the three -four times my wife travels with me in return for more solitude when I am regularly traveling. I think that would be a fair trade for sure.

As for the child issue, I have to say that I find well behaved children totally acceptable. Sadly, not all kids are well behaved. It seems some parents are either unaware of this or do not care (I am not sure which). I notice that MSP is really bad for this - it seems there are always lots of kids there. Of course MCO is ground zero for misbehaving children.

I hope delta can find a way to make the club an enjoyable place for all and not just a daycare center.

One last point - it says we can pay the difference between normal and executive membership so you do not have to burn a choice benefit if you do not want too.

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
We need some Centurion clubs at ATL DTW and SEA as soon as possible. Major downgrade to Amex cards with access. MSP LAX and JFK as well

Last edited by turkeyRIOO; Jan 10, 2014 at 8:56 am Reason: added MSP LAX JFK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by nevansm
As long as the drink and food selections get better I'm all for this change! ^^
Keep dreaming...
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM

I use Amex plat to access the lounge. When we lost CO lounges, they gave us the $200 fee credit and priority pass. When aa/us lounge access was discontinued, frequent users of those lounges got one time credits. I'm sure Amex will offer something to counter the recent loss of these 3 benefits, but if not I may have to think whether to keep the card...

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AA
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Wow. For those complaining about overcrowding or out of control children running wild through the lounge, this is excellent news.

OTOH, those who use their membership to guest in friends and family will take a hit, especially the family with spouse and a few children. Now the entrance cost for them will be like the fee to get into a Disney park.
Good! The club should be a club and not a KinderCare center. I have already switched to AA but will keep an eye out on these changes and how they roll out.

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME the AmEx Plat kids are the best of the bunch, then DM offspring and Reserve card families are about the same, then SC member offspring, and the worst are the GroupOn bunch. Maybe the problem is that those who plan to travel with large families are most likely to buy the SC membership versus the elite credit cards having financial requirements and other benefits beyond SC use by the whole gang.
And you've determined this how? Do you posses some type of superpower that allows you to determine one's SkyClub entry credentials just by looking at them (or their family members)? Tell us more!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG, Hilton, Starwood
I probably hate other people's kids as much as MSPeconomist does. Heck, I don't even like my own children all that much, but I've got to wonder where and when he's having so many kiddie issues. I haven't seen that in ATL. Of course, most of the time I inhabit the Concourse E and F Skyclubs on Friday and Saturday afternoons...

If this can make it so you can actually sit down on a Monday morning in the ATL Concourse B club, it's probably worth it. It does diminish the value of my Amex Reserve membership though to the point that I'll probably drop it down to a platinum when the time comes.

One other thing: I'd *love* to simply be able to buy a reduced price fruit and cheese box (just like what's sold on domestic flights) in the SC. Something like $4-$4.50 and I'd pay it every time, particularly if I could take it with me to the plane.

Last edited by mmichael453; Jan 10, 2014 at 7:50 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by plagwate
So you're one of those who expects the rest of us to subsidize your lack of birth control? See there? It works both ways.
Do you seriously want to go there on a flyertalk message board?

How about you put yourselves in our shoes for a moment?

My wife and I travel over 200,000 miles a year on DL. We travel with our kids at most once a year, during which we frequent the lounge. Our alternative is to have them out there with the unwashed masses while we're in an over-crowded restaurant or food court where some creepy dude can stare at them from a distance (or wait.. maybe that's you in the club? ).

So no, you're not subsidizing anything, we more than pay DL through several tens of thousands of $$$ on flights (we both fly F all the time) for that once a year trip with the kids. We almost certainly spend more with DL than 99% of the people on this board, so take your condescending attitude and ...
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: DL Spam; SPG Gold; other randoms
Originally Posted by emrdoc
You must frequent different clubs than I do as I find the children in the Skyclubs to be much better behaved and considerate than many of the adults.

+1!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.