Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: DL DM
I, for one, am glad they are making some effort to make it exclusive again. When everyone is elite, nobody is elite. Nice things should COST MONEY. Get the right people in the club, the club improves.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta, AA, jetBlue, Honors Diamond
Looks like I picked the wrong week to upgrade to the Reserve card.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DLCorpGal
Hi there -
regarding your comment about access to members with families. A member with the Executive Membership may bring immediate family (spouse or domestic partner and children under 21 years of age) OR up to two (2) guests into the Delta Sky Club, provided that Delta determines that adequate space exists.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO this is a HUGE mistake and will continue to diminish the attractiveness of SC memberships and indeed the entire SC experience. A big part of the current problem is the number of families who gain entry (although I sometimes suspect through the use of GroupOn etc. offers) and then fail to attempt to control their children, after taking over entire sections of the lounge and using far more seats than the number adults and kids in their party.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO this is a HUGE MISTAKE as well as being UNFAIR to those who do not have large families. As long as people can freely bring in their entire families, including dogs BTW, the SC experience will remain unappealing.
I believe you are grossly over-estimating the number of travelers who will pay for a more costly Executive membership for the few times a year they travel with their family.
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I wonder how AMEX is taking this news?
Whoever runs the AMEX Platinum Card has got to be wondering what the hell they're going to do now after just losing AA/US club access too ...

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Maybe this will encourage AMEX to accelerate the Centurion lounge proliferation. That's a real solid experience, that well justifies my plat card annual fee.

Programs: AA EXP
Time for me to cancel Delta Reserve card...
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Children are not an issue with me. People who lack respect for others are the root cause. Some of them happen to have kids... If we need to kick out kids, then I say we need to kick out Johnny blue tooth and his ultra important business deal making hijinks... I'd rather listen to children's laughter than Sal from Staten Island conduct business whilst using his favorite adjective 38 times in a conversation... The one that is a slang for a carnal act...

...and for the love of baby Jesus...say no to Gordan's .....
I was hoping you'd weigh in here

Programs: Non-Affiliated
$695 is not worth the current SkyClub in it's current state, I don't care if I am the only one in there. Most of the time I am in the clubs, they aren't terribly overcroweded. (Though around holidays and during IROPS they tend to be.)

$695 for the current food and beverage offerings is just a freakin' joke. I don't even know where to begin with my disgust of that.

Children are not an issue with me. People who lack respect for others are the root cause. Some of them happen to have kids... If we need to kick out kids, then I say we need to kick out Johnny blue tooth and his ultra important business deal making hijinks... I'd rather listen to children's laughter than Sal from Staten Island conduct business whilst using his favorite adjective 38 times in a conversation... The one that is a slang for a carnal act...

Well said...

Originally Posted by LADELTA777
Can someone tell me What is so exclusive about DL Skyclubs. DL keeps saying " exclusive.
There is nothing exclusive about the DL club, because they let in everyone. Exclusive would mean paying members and their guest(s) only:

-- No CC's
-- No "day passes"
-- No PM/DM complementary memberships

Now then, if DL and other airlines were to go the paying members and their guest(s) only route, they would really have to step up their games and offer top-shelf beverages and food.

Programs: DL Spam; SPG Gold; other randoms
Originally Posted by ScottinMEM
Looks like I picked the wrong week to upgrade to the Reserve card.
And to stop sniffing glue!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
I knew as soon as I saw the email this morning that the ire of FTers would be high this morning. I love the idea of raising the membership fee and have no problem with paying the difference to the executive membership or using a choice benefit on the upgrade from the standard DM SC membership to executive. But...I, like many of you, would love to hear from DL what they plan on doing to make the club more exclusive in exchange for the raise in fees. If this is only raising membership fees to make the clubs less crowded, then this is a joke and for those of you that are actually considering paying $695/year, your money would definitely now be better spent elsewhere in the airport. Paying that much for what the SCs offer right now, to me, would not justify that much money as we have covered extensively in the SC beverages thread how far membership fee money goes in the terminal at other locations. Now, if DL is going to announce that in addition to the raise in fees the luxury bar is going away OR they are introducing better food options OR they are increasing the internet speeds to something higher than dial-up modem access OR they are adding some other amenities that make it worth the difference, then this might be a favorable change that truly returns the SCs to some resemblance of the CRs of yore when they really were an oasis in the airport. Otherwise, this is once again DL's way of raising prices without providing anything of value in return.

Well done DL! You've blown it again!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moxielady
I'm done. $695 a year is so not worth it. $450 a year and $29 a pop for a visit is even less worth it.
I think many folks are misreading the change for Plat Amex/Reserve card holders. The $29 fee only applies to guests, not to you when entering individually.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: DL Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz Gold
What a joke. I see no problem allowing one guest with an approved card for free. I travel with my SO quite frequently. Why should we be penalized for inept parenting. $29 for stale cheese and dirty carrots stay classy Delta. Looks like my choice to fly AS more this year looks better and better.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:00 am

+1

I don't blame children, I blame their parents from whom they learn.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Multi-year NW PE, CO SE, Former F9 Ascent

+1 on both!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.