FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1540036-updates-delta-sky-club-membership-options.html)

DLCorpGal Jan 10, 2014 6:47 am

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

All,
Even with more than $50 million in investments over the last several years, to renovate and expand seating in existing Clubs and build new Delta Sky Clubs across the system, our customers, including many of you on FlyerTalk, tell us the Clubs can be overcrowded.

To alleviate this problem and maintain the more exclusive atmosphere our Club members continue to tell us they expect, we are making changes to the Delta Sky Club program.

• Effective immediately, membership cost is $695 annually. This Executive Membership will continue to allow two complimentary guests.
• For those customers who rarely need guest access, an Individual Membership at the current rate of $450 will be introduced in Spring 2014. This membership will allow guest access for $29 per guest Club visit.
• Beginning May 1, 2014, all customers who receive complimentary Delta Sky Club access as a benefit of their eligible credit or charge card will no longer receive complimentary guest access. A $29 fee per guest Club visit will apply.

Members who qualified for Diamond Medallion® status in 2013 for the 2014 Medallion year will continue to receive an Executive Membership through the end of the 2014 Medallion year (February 28, 2015). Members who qualify for Diamond Medallion status in 2014 for the 2015 Medallion year will receive an Executive Membership valid from time of Diamond Medallion qualification through February 28, 2015 and an Individual Membership valid from March 1, 2015 through January 31, 2016. Diamond Medallion members who receive an Individual Membership can upgrade to the Executive Membership via Choice Benefits, miles or cash. Diamond Medallion members who wish to purchase an Executive Membership will receive a $100 discount off the $695 Executive Membership price until March 1, 2015.

Please find all details here.

Thanks,
DLCorpGal

hockeystl Jan 10, 2014 6:50 am

Ahhhh that Lifetime Membership purchase several years ago is finally looking like a sharp purchase for this DM member.

Charging the AmEx cardholders should do the trick of reducing the crowd sizes.

^^^

FPRob Jan 10, 2014 6:57 am

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

I like the changes. I usually access the club with an Amex Platinum, but do not mind losing the guest access if it means less crowds.

Sez_Who Jan 10, 2014 7:02 am

Wow. For those complaining about overcrowding or out of control children running wild through the lounge, this is excellent news.

OTOH, those who use their membership to guest in friends and family will take a hit, especially the family with spouse and a few children. Now the entrance cost for them will be like the fee to get into a Disney park.

flyerwma Jan 10, 2014 7:10 am

Slightly off topic, but this -- combined with the recent announcement of no AA or US lounges (and the prior no UA lounges -- really knocks down the value of the AMEX Plat card.....

MSPeconomist Jan 10, 2014 7:12 am

I love that the rule will be two guests rather than an unlimited number of family members. Now, if DL would just stop the GroupOn etc. SC discounted offers, we could have a decent lounge experience, at least if one avoids the F&B.

moxielady Jan 10, 2014 7:14 am

I'm done. $695 a year is so not worth it. $450 a year and $29 a pop for a visit is even less worth it.

DLCorpGal Jan 10, 2014 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Sez_Who (Post 22124738)
Wow. For those complaining about overcrowding or out of control children running wild through the lounge, this is excellent news.

OTOH, those who use their membership to guest in friends and family will take a hit, especially the family with spouse and a few children. Now the entrance cost for them will be like the fee to get into a Disney park.

Hi there -
regarding your comment about access to members with families. A member with the Executive Membership may bring immediate family (spouse or domestic partner and children under 21 years of age) OR up to two (2) guests into the Delta Sky Club, provided that Delta determines that adequate space exists.

DLCorpGal

KevinDTW Jan 10, 2014 7:18 am

+1, although I noticed that the T&C say that an Executive Member can bring "...immediate family (spouse or domestic partner and children under 21 years of age)...."

This is a pretty substantial increase in the cost of a membership, which I will continue to pay for now, but I hope that they can justify it with noticeable improvements.

BusTrav8yrs Jan 10, 2014 7:18 am

So if I am a DM and have the Reserve card, I still will not be able to get my spouse in?

I should since technically I have "double" access to SC.

Adelphos Jan 10, 2014 7:19 am

Originally Posted by flyerwma (Post 22124783)
Slightly off topic, but this -- combined with the recent announcement of no AA or US lounges (and the prior no UA lounges -- really knocks down the value of the AMEX Plat card.....

The Amex Platinum Card used to be one of the best travel cards out there. Now, it's uncertain if it is worth the fee. It will all depend on how quickly Amex can roll out the Centurion Lounges. Still, Delta lounge access when traveling alone is valuable.

javabytes Jan 10, 2014 7:20 am

$695? Hahahahaahahahahahahaha

For that price, the Gordon's had better find its way out the door, or they had better start serving something besides carrot sticks and cheese. Otherwise my mind is absolutely boggled by what they think their value proposition is.

Also, DMs note: it's not just credit card access taking a hit, your complimentary SC membership is being downgraded in 2015 to an individual membership, and you can burn a choice benefit to upgrade to an "Executive" membership.

MSPeconomist Jan 10, 2014 7:21 am

NO

The T&C say that people can still bring their ENTIRE family in lieu of two guests, so the brats running around and screaming problem won't be solved.

Also, I don't see any mention of lifetime memberships in the T&C.

Howste Jan 10, 2014 7:23 am

I don't mind this if it will reduce the crowding. I will miss the guest access though after February 2015 on the few trips a year when I'm on vacation with my family.

ULDB65 Jan 10, 2014 7:25 am

Good news, I agree. And the option for DM's of going from Individual to Executive membership in 2015 as a choice benefit, or paying with miles, is perfect.