Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I didn't know AS didn't provide rebooking services in their lounge. As far as lounge offerings go, I prefer AS over DL and when skyclub members had access to the Boardrooms I would use the boardrooms over the skyclubs at LAX and SEA.
While that used to be true, DL has definitely upped their offerings in recent years. Unless the Boardrooms have improved, I think DL's offerings are now better. I mostly used the LAX Boardroom because it tended to be a lot less crowded than the Sky Club. Was recently in the new Sky Club at SEA for the first time and was thoroughly impressed. Looking forward to see how the new clubs at LAX turn out.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dovster
In 2009 I started flying in Biz Class for all of my trips. This gives me Lounge access on all flights to/from TLV and the only time I so not have it is when I have a stop over on a domestic flight and did not/will not fly international on the same day.

It is very rare that I spend more than 15 minutes in a lounge on any particular day, I generally just stop in to grab a free Coke and perhaps some cookies, This is true for all airlines (except in those rare places where the lounge has a smoking room, in which case I am apt to make return visits).

The only exception is when I have a very long connection in ATL, or must check out of my hotel long before my flight. In that case, I try to get to each SkyClub in the airport for a rum & Coke.

To tell the truth, if this was not given to me for flying Biz, I would not spend a single cent for lounge access. I can get better drinks, and far superior food, in almost any airport in the world for much less money. I really can't understand why anyone would fork out the big bucks for a year's membership.
What I get out of it is, more of a sense of "my own space." And some of the international lounges are just nice places to be. For the Skyclub, it's definitely worth it if you want to shower. The food and things are definitely not worth it.

But what gives it value to me is "own space," Not exclusive space, but generally substantially more space per person (sometimes very much more), and a place to relax without feeling crowded or having to figure out where to sit.

Obviously your own perspective is valid and I share it to a considerable extent, and don't have a Skyclub membership either. But I'm going on a domestic trip and plan to spend the $29 basically for a more relaxed space pre-flight.

I'm not saying what I get out of it is worth the money, but that is what I feel I get out of it.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by LBJ
While that used to be true, DL has definitely upped their offerings in recent years. Unless the Boardrooms have improved, I think DL's offerings are now better. I mostly used the LAX Boardroom because it tended to be a lot less crowded than the Sky Club. Was recently in the new Sky Club at SEA for the first time and was thoroughly impressed. Looking forward to see how the new clubs at LAX turn out.
The Skyclubs offerings have improved a lot in the past year or two. I liked the LAX boardroom because it was more peaceful to work in and on morning flights I loved the pancake machine Seeing the skyclub got rid of the Gordon's vodka and brought back free Bailey's the bar offerings are better now than the BR.

I'm hoping the new clubs at LAX will be like the new SF sky club and the new B ATL skyclub and use real plates. I'm also hoping they will bring back the self service coke machines like they used to have at LAX and they have at the new B ATL club. Hopefully they have showers at both skyclubs.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
In SEA, the SkyClubs are now *dramatically* better than AS Board Rooms. Gone are the days when pancakes and soup made them the winners - they have failed to invest at all while Amex opened a solid Centurion Studio and Delta built two new clubs. With the new A club, Delta is the clear winner - Beecher's frittatas in the morning and mac and cheese in the evenings, and Ivar's chowder, plus wines that exceed AS's complimentary selections and many times more seating space.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BenA
There are a couple of times in IROPS that access to the rebooking agents in the Sky Club has saved my bacon. I tend to agree that the club itself isn't worthwhile just for drinks and snacks - but the rebooking assistance can pay for the membership pretty quickly in the right set of circumstances.

I'm glad DL offers this service. Due to union contracts, AS does not and Board Room attendants can't touch reservations - and their product suffers dearly for it.
Yes. This 100%.

When the 'computer crash' of Aug 16 happened I got the details outside of the delays. I was told it was hours delayed and currently estimated at whatever they said. 3+ hours. I did curbside check-in as I had a work bag to check. The interior line for regular travelers was out the door. The Sky Priority was 1/2 as long. Still LONG line.

Went to SkyClub at MKE with a colleague. Within 10min I had the following accomplished.

-Moved to 2 flights earlier(current delayed departure was minutes from my flight)
-Moved my bag over to this flight
-Confirmed FC on the new flight

Major benefit to me is I use the SFO SkyClub's showers before a redeye multiple times a year. I put high value in just that. Grab some food. Take a shower. Board my plane. I work outside as a photographer and this is beyond 'worth it' for me after 8 hours in the sun in Monterey and I am sweaty and gross.

That was just one example that was a benefit. Add in the drinks, foods and more. I traveled with my 2yr old with my wife and went to SlyClub earlier than I normally would if traveling alone based on daughter's nap time. Having her there with access to breakfast and a quiet corner was FAR better than T Concourse of ATL.

Understand it doesn't work for everyone.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I traveled with my 2yr old with my wife
I was really thrown for a loop by this post until I realized that I misread it and thought you had posted "I traveled with my 2yr old wife."
Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (SM, 1MM) Marriott Rewards (Lifetime Gold), HHonors (Lifetime Diamond)
Trying to figure out the immediate family thing...

i have a individual membership. If I travel with my family of 5, is it $29 x 4 for the other 4 members of my family or $29 x 1 ?

from the original post.... Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

on an executive, you can bring 2 guests or your entire immediate family.... as I read it on individual, each guest (non-family) is $29 (up to 2) or entire immediate family.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stewie7669

i have a individual membership. If I travel with my family of 5, is it $29 x 4 for the other 4 members of my family or $29 x 1 ?

from the original post.... Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

on an executive, you can bring 2 guests or your entire immediate family.... as I read it on individual, each guest (non-family) is $29 (up to 2) or entire immediate family.
Not a good idea to rely on FT posts for access rules. Each guest is $29 and each family member is considered a separate guest. So, no, you can't get them all in for $29 total. There is an exception in that you do not have to pay for children 2 or under.

You can find the policy in the house rules:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ouse-rules.htm

"Members with an Individual Membership may access Delta Sky Club with up to 2 guests or immediate family (spouse or domestic partner and children under 21 years of age) for $29 per guest per club visit provided that Delta determines that adequate space exists. Member must remain with the guests at all times during the visit."

The exception for children 2 or under isn't really mentioned explicitly for individual memberships. But you can find for single visit pass holder and Reserve card holders and it is generally understood to also apply to individual memberships.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 1, 2017 at 8:11 am
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stewie7669

You pay for all unless they're under 2. The wording means that you can bring up to two guest at that rate, or any number as long as they are immediate family. You pay regardless for each.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dovster
I was really thrown for a loop by this post until I realized that I misread it and thought you had posted "I traveled with my 2yr old wife."
Maybe it needed an 'and' with my wife

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.