Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Setherd
Can you use a sky club, AFTER you land?
Sometimes upon landing, I turn my phone on and have some phone calls/emails to send ASAP. SO I find an empty seat in the terminal and get to work. It would be niceif I could pop into a skyclub and do it.
At least with a membership, and probably with any valid form of access, yes.

I usually get a ride from friends or family, and they're always late, so I always spend time in the sky club when arriving if one's available.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
For US Clubs run by Delta - yes you can use the club after you land. For international clubs and for non-Delta clubs it is hit or miss.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Setherd
Can you use a sky club, AFTER you land?
Sometimes upon landing, I turn my phone on and have some phone calls/emails to send ASAP. SO I find an empty seat in the terminal and get to work. It would be niceif I could pop into a skyclub and do it.
Generally, yes, but with possible exceptions depending on the form of entry.

For example, if you have Sky Club access only by virtue of being STE+ on an international itinerary, "SkyTeam Elite Plus benefits are provided only at the departure airport and not at the arrival airport unless connecting to a qualifying SkyTeam flight." (https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-of-terms.html)
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat
thank you everyone!
Old Oct 31, 2016, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
For US Clubs run by Delta - yes you can use the club after you land. For international clubs and for non-Delta clubs it is hit or miss.
The Sky Club membership T&C's note that partner lounges may have their own rules for access with an SC membership. In particular, KL Crown Lounges do not provide for arrivals access with a Sky Club membership if you do not have a Skyteam continuing flight.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA 1K
What happened to the option to select a number of Sky Club day passes as a choice benefit?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SeattleRK
What happened to the option to select a number of Sky Club day passes as a choice benefit?
They got ride of Sky club passes. Also DM get a free SC membership.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They got ride of Sky club passes. Also DM get a free SC membership.
I wonder what % of DM also carry an AMEX card with the perk? So at a DL mgmt meeting, "sure, give DM SC free, 50% get in free anyway... we'll give out a benefit that costs us half!"
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lounge attendant in DTW said that membership prices would be going up in 2017. I didn't get any details. Seems like many would just opt for an Amex Plat or Delta Reserve card if they increased the prices any further for the individual membership.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
A lounge attendant in DTW said that membership prices would be going up in 2017. I didn't get any details. Seems like many would just opt for an Amex Plat or Delta Reserve card if they increased the prices any further for the individual membership.
Multiple travel blogs said this was coming. However haven't seen anything from Delta(Sure they could have said something).

Currently to renew is the current price. So if it is going up doing it before New Years might be a good idea.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Multiple travel blogs said this was coming. However haven't seen anything from Delta(Sure they could have said something).

Currently to renew is the current price. So if it is going up doing it before New Years might be a good idea.
DL announced that the prices were going up in 2017 a few days after my post above. $495 for individual and $745 for Exec. However, they are reducing the rate for using miles to purchase/upgrade memberships. Official document and full details can be found here --

http://www.delta.com/content/dam/del...sets/page1.pdf
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Ah missed the official announcement.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
In 2009 I started flying in Biz Class for all of my trips. This gives me Lounge access on all flights to/from TLV and the only time I so not have it is when I have a stop over on a domestic flight and did not/will not fly international on the same day.

It is very rare that I spend more than 15 minutes in a lounge on any particular day, I generally just stop in to grab a free Coke and perhaps some cookies, This is true for all airlines (except in those rare places where the lounge has a smoking room, in which case I am apt to make return visits).

The only exception is when I have a very long connection in ATL, or must check out of my hotel long before my flight. In that case, I try to get to each SkyClub in the airport for a rum & Coke.

To tell the truth, if this was not given to me for flying Biz, I would not spend a single cent for lounge access. I can get better drinks, and far superior food, in almost any airport in the world for much less money. I really can't understand why anyone would fork out the big bucks for a year's membership.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dovster
In 2009 I started flying in Biz Class for all of my trips. This gives me Lounge access on all flights to/from TLV and the only time I so not have it is when I have a stop over on a domestic flight and did not/will not fly international on the same day.

It is very rare that I spend more than 15 minutes in a lounge on any particular day, I generally just stop in to grab a free Coke and perhaps some cookies, This is true for all airlines (except in those rare places where the lounge has a smoking room, in which case I am apt to make return visits).

The only exception is when I have a very long connection in ATL, or must check out of my hotel long before my flight. In that case, I try to get to each SkyClub in the airport for a rum & Coke.

To tell the truth, if this was not given to me for flying Biz, I would not spend a single cent for lounge access. I can get better drinks, and far superior food, in almost any airport in the world for much less money. I really can't understand why anyone would fork out the big bucks for a year's membership.
There are a couple of times in IROPS that access to the rebooking agents in the Sky Club has saved my bacon. I tend to agree that the club itself isn't worthwhile just for drinks and snacks - but the rebooking assistance can pay for the membership pretty quickly in the right set of circumstances.

I'm glad DL offers this service. Due to union contracts, AS does not and Board Room attendants can't touch reservations - and their product suffers dearly for it.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by BenA
There are a couple of times in IROPS that access to the rebooking agents in the Sky Club has saved my bacon. I tend to agree that the club itself isn't worthwhile just for drinks and snacks - but the rebooking assistance can pay for the membership pretty quickly in the right set of circumstances.

I'm glad DL offers this service. Due to union contracts, AS does not and Board Room attendants can't touch reservations - and their product suffers dearly for it.
I didn't know AS didn't provide rebooking services in their lounge. As far as lounge offerings go, I prefer AS over DL and when skyclub members had access to the Boardrooms I would use the boardrooms over the skyclubs at LAX and SEA.

I agree they are a real timesaver in an IROPs situation. Especially in cases where there is bad weather and a lot of cancels and the phone lines have a long hold time. Last year there was a snow that hit NYC a lot harder than expected and flights kept getting delayed and then cancelled when I was at LGA. Just a few minutes of talking to a SC agent and had me protected on a flight with a first class seat the next day in case my flight cancelled (which it did).

A few months ago I was on a flight to MDW that had to return to the gate and they weren't sure when or if it would go out that night. I called the diamond desk and asked them to protect me of a flight the next day and they said they couldn't unless I wanted to give up my seat on the flight I was on. A couple minutes of talking to a sky club agent after I got off the plane and she had me protected in a first class seat to ORD the next morning if my flight cancelled (which fortunately they used a different plane and it only went out an hour late).

They are also great for irrops that don't leave until late at night at the SC's where the staff stays late. A couple years ago I had a DTW/LHR flight that kept getting delayed due to mechanical problems. Staff stayed until they delayed the flight (which was almost midnight) until 11:30 the next morning and they gave me some kind of $50 that I was actually able to use online because it was like a credit card number you could only use for 24 hours, a voucher to use at the airport the next morning as well as hotel vouchers so it meant I didn't have to wait over an hour to get a voucher from the gate agent and all the concourse businesses were closed so it was nice having access to some food and drinks. A couple other times when there was bad weather and I've had severely delayed flights that didn't leave until after 11 it was nice having the skyclub to hang out when concourse businesses were closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.