Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Any chance the delta reserve card will give diamonds executive membership. Having a hard time justifing keeping the reserve given everything going on at Delta. Might switch to AA's card so i get lounge membership as i start to transition over there
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by southpaw1227
SOLVED! (But it's not great news for Diamonds)

The "$100 Diamond discount" only applies to folks buying the ENTIRE $695 Executive membership? Who would do that? Current Diamonds who are about to drop to Platinum, Gold, Silver, or no status. This discount does no good whatsoever to folks who will remain Diamond.

For those folks, you have to wait until March 1st, at which point you can upgrade in cash for $245, which is the different between the $695 Executive membership and the $450 Individual membership that you'll get for free.

Incredibly annoying, but there's your answer. Took about 6 calls to supervisors from within a SkyClub to get those details.
Strange that DL wants to reward those who are losing DM status but not those who are retaining DM status.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:12 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by southpaw1227
SOLVED! (But it's not great news for Diamonds)

The "$100 Diamond discount" only applies to folks buying the ENTIRE $695 Executive membership? Who would do that? Current Diamonds who are about to drop to Platinum, Gold, Silver, or no status. This discount does no good whatsoever to folks who will remain Diamond.

For those folks, you have to wait until March 1st, at which point you can upgrade in cash for $245, which is the different between the $695 Executive membership and the $450 Individual membership that you'll get for free.

Incredibly annoying, but there's your answer. Took about 6 calls to supervisors from within a SkyClub to get those details.
I am curious if you buy the $695 Exec membership and then qualify for Diamond for another 3 or 4 years (assuming Individual SkyClub membership remains a DM benefit), if your extra year of Exec membership tagged onto the end of your DM membership means you get an Exec upgrade for all of the years that you earn a DM Individual membership. That would seem to be the implication.

Kind of an expensive risk to take, since it might not work out that way and not many people can be absolutely certain they'll make DM again and again in the future, but if someone was going to buy the $245 buy-up (assuming that's the steady-state option) every year for the next few years, this could theoretically be a better option.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta - DM, Ritz PM, Hertz President's Club, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bgriff
I am curious if you buy the $695 Exec membership and then qualify for Diamond for another 3 or 4 years (assuming Individual SkyClub membership remains a DM benefit), if your extra year of Exec membership tagged onto the end of your DM membership means you get an Exec upgrade for all of the years that you earn a DM Individual membership. That would seem to be the implication.

Kind of an expensive risk to take, since it might not work out that way and not many people can be absolutely certain they'll make DM again and again in the future, but if someone was going to buy the $245 buy-up (assuming that's the steady-state option) every year for the next few years, this could theoretically be a better option.
It does not seem to be the case. I purchased membership (company reimbursed) 10/6/2014 and renewed last year in September for another year. I hit Diamond status in September as well. Now my Executive Membership lasts through 10/6/2015 and my individual membership lasts through 1/31/2016. I would have thought that my individual membership would have been extended for a year from my renewal date (through 10/6/2016) but that is not the case. My individual membership extends me only the additional 3 months after the end of my Executive Membership. the irony is that if I elected to use the select reward, it would only gain me executive membership for the additional 3 months.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by labjr1
It does not seem to be the case. I purchased membership (company reimbursed) 10/6/2014 and renewed last year in September for another year. I hit Diamond status in September as well. Now my Executive Membership lasts through 10/6/2015 and my individual membership lasts through 1/31/2016. I would have thought that my individual membership would have been extended for a year from my renewal date (through 10/6/2016) but that is not the case. My individual membership extends me only the additional 3 months after the end of my Executive Membership. the irony is that if I elected to use the select reward, it would only gain me executive membership for the additional 3 months.
You should get the unused paid membership term added onto the length of your membership. I'm not sure how DL is treating this with respect to executive versus individual memberships.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:51 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by labjr1
I think you will, or at least should, get something more. If I go to the SkyClub membership page as a non-paid-member DM, it gives me the option to supposedly buy an Executive 1-year membership renewal to extend my current Executive membership to Jan 31 2017. Presumably that would have been the same as what you bought (since it sounds like you bought it after having already qualified for DM).

Indeed, based on that language on DL.com, it sounds like buying a $595 executive membership would definitely get me an upgrade from Inividual to Exec for Mar 1 2015-Jan 31 2016, plus an Exec membership for Feb 1 2016-Jan 31 2017. If I did that and then requalify for DM this year, presumably the paid Exec membership will slide to Feb 1 2017-Jan 31 2018; not clear whether the complimentary DM Feb 1 2016-Jan 31 2017 membership will get upgraded for "free" or not.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; IHG Platinum; Emerald Exec Elite
For those of us that appear to have random dates as to when our "executive membership" expires (I am talking about those who have not purchased or otherwise upgraded to executive membership--my account shows my executive membership has an expiration date of 10/7/15), has anyone tried to get a guest in the Skyclub since March 1?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
From here:

delta-sky-club-faqs

"I renewed my current Membership and now I have reached the Diamond Medallion threshold. Since I am now eligible for complimentary lounge access how is the paid membership handled?

The complimentary Diamond Medallion membership will be added to the end of your existing paid membership."

Were we not told previously that the DM-provided membership would apply in the near-term, with the paid membership pushed on out, to apply at such time that DM renewal was not achieved?

Since DM membership is awarded on a year-to-year basis, the procedure as described above would seem to create a bookkeeping task that might exceed DL IT capability.

If this is a change, I have a supposition for why the change was made. But, what do others recall?

======================================

Found it. This post supports my recollection:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22126989-post499.html

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Mar 6, 2015 at 11:44 am
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Kathy from ATL called me today in follow up to feedback I supplied months ago regarding paying to upgrade the membership.

Good news: because I had inquired prior to 1 Mar, she would honor the $145 fee and could collect this via credit card (I verified she had access to my files by reviewing my sky miles and travel history).

Bad news: when she tried, it would not work.

Good news: it would not work on a future membership. Since my current membership is executive thru June 2016, the upgrade would be to a future membership.

Heck - I'm just impressed they followed up!
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:16 pm

Has anyone had experience upgrading from Individual to Executive for a part year? My current Executive expires Oct 31. I just made DM, so now have an individual membership from Nov 1 - Jan 31, 2016, and then another individual from Feb 1, 2016 - Jan 31, 2017. My question is, to upgrade from Nov 1 - Jan 31, 2016 is it $245 or 1/4 of that = $61.25. When I asked at the Skyclub they said they couldn't tell me until that contract was active. Thanks for any info!
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
How many hours before flight can you enter sky club?

Flying JFK-LHR in April and plan on spending some time in the T4 lounge before my flight. Will be using my AMEX and paying $29 to get so I want to maximize the value here.

I will be checking bags for the trip and then continuing onto the sky club. How many hours before my flight can I enter the sky club? I thought I read somewhere that it was 4 hours before a flight but I can't find that info anywhere.

Thanks
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As long as you are flying that day, there is no time restriction that I'm aware of. The limiting factor is when you can check your bags in so you can get through security.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:08 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by mridley2
Flying JFK-LHR in April and plan on spending some time in the T4 lounge before my flight. Will be using my AMEX and paying $29 to get so I want to maximize the value here.

I will be checking bags for the trip and then continuing onto the sky club. How many hours before my flight can I enter the sky club? I thought I read somewhere that it was 4 hours before a flight but I can't find that info anywhere.

Thanks
Not sure there is a limit but it's really not *that* amazing of a place, I think a few hours is plenty. Personally I also feel like checking luggage super early may be unnecessarily raising the risk it doesn't make the flight, though that may just be me.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mridley2

Thanks
No time restriction. I've entered at 8 AM for a 5 PM flight (planning on SDS).
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by NZLMAN
Has anyone had experience upgrading from Individual to Executive for a part year? My current Executive expires Oct 31. I just made DM, so now have an individual membership from Nov 1 - Jan 31, 2016, and then another individual from Feb 1, 2016 - Jan 31, 2017. My question is, to upgrade from Nov 1 - Jan 31, 2016 is it $245 or 1/4 of that = $61.25. When I asked at the Skyclub they said they couldn't tell me until that contract was active. Thanks for any info!
I have the same question although the months are different and a search did not turn up a definite answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.