Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
TSA won't let you get to the AF lounge at LAX. Also, AS isn't part of SkyTeam so I think you would be denied by their dragons if you take the tunnel to T6 unless you have PP or a real SkyClub membership.
On the outbound flight I am flying XXX-LAX-CDG-GOT on Air France. Wouldn't I have access to the Air France lounge in LAX?

is the air france lounge in Terminal 2 or TBIT? I've read conflicting reports.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I think AF/KLM has moved to TBIT (they were supposed to at the end of March). There is no airside connection so I think you are out of luck there.
Per the LAX website, Air France and KLM have moved to TBIT.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
TSA won't let you get to the AF lounge at LAX. Also, AS isn't part of SkyTeam so I think you would be denied by their dragons if you take the tunnel to T6 unless you have PP or a real SkyClub membership.
That policy (about going to terminals you're not departing from) has changed, recently I believe. About 3 weeks ago I was able to access TBIT with a WN boarding pass. Also, LAX has a lounge operated by KE in TBIT. Not sure that there are any other Skyteam lounges in TBIT.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by mridley2
On the outbound flight I am flying XXX-LAX-CDG-GOT on Air France. Wouldn't I have access to the Air France lounge in LAX?

is the air france lounge in Terminal 2 or TBIT? I've read conflicting reports.
MSPeconomist was talking about your inbound ticket. You hadn't mentioned the return. Of course you'll be able to access the AF lounge in LAX when departing.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Question is whether same-day rule is literally applied or extends overnight to the final flight (continuous travel without stopovers). If I were flying this trip, I'd try to get into the lounge at ATL and see what they say.
I should have added that - it's absolutely worth a shot going to a SC in ATL and showing that you are on a continuation of an int'l itinerary. They very well may let you in - but I really have no idea.

The other thing that's confusing about the language I posted is whether you can only access at the first connection point to/from your int'l flight, or all previous/subsequent ones on the same continuous itinerary.

So setting aside the same-day question, if you are going AMS-DTW-LAX-ATL-EWR all within the same 24 hours and same calendar day, do you just get access at DTW where your int'l flight lands, or do you also get it at LAX and ATL where both the inbound and outbound flights are domestic?

My limited experience is that you get in at all airports, but I'm not sure if I was just lucky or if that's actually aligned with the policy.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
I should have added that - it's absolutely worth a shot going to a SC in ATL and showing that you are on a continuation of an int'l itinerary. They very well may let you in - but I really have no idea.

The other thing that's confusing about the language I posted is whether you can only access at the first connection point to/from your int'l flight, or all previous/subsequent ones on the same continuous itinerary.

So setting aside the same-day question, if you are going AMS-DTW-LAX-ATL-EWR all within the same 24 hours and same calendar day, do you just get access at DTW where your int'l flight lands, or do you also get it at LAX and ATL where both the inbound and outbound flights are domestic?

My limited experience is that you get in at all airports, but I'm not sure if I was just lucky or if that's actually aligned with the policy.
The Skyteam website seems to imply that one can access the lounge at any intermediate airport:

SkyTeam Elite Plus members, regardless of their travel class, are allowed access to a SkyTeam lounge at a particular airport if traveling on or connecting to/from a same-day international flight operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Simply present your same-day ticket for an international SkyTeam airline flight and a valid Elite Plus membership card.
They make the distinction between "traveling on" and "connecting to/from" a same-day international flight, which seems to have the spirit of allowing folks on an international itinerary access wherever they are on their itinerary. I'm sure it wasn't written with something like AMS-DTW-LAX-ATL-EWR in mind, but the rules are the rules.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
They make the distinction between "traveling on" and "connecting to/from" a same-day international flight, which seems to have the spirit of allowing folks on an international itinerary access wherever they are on their itinerary. I'm sure it wasn't written with something like AMS-DTW-LAX-ATL-EWR in mind, but the rules are the rules.
IMO the ‘traveling on’ language is pretty clear. As for the ‘connecting to/from a same-day international flight’, sounds to me like SC access is limited to only flts that are connecting to intl flts, not all flts that may be in an itinerary.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 5:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
IMO the ‘traveling on’ language is pretty clear. As for the ‘connecting to/from a same-day international flight’, sounds to me like SC access is limited to only flts that are connecting to intl flts, not all flts that may be in an itinerary.
I've always informally thought that the rule was *meant* to include lounge access on the same direction of the same itinerary provided that there isn't a stopover between the desired lounge access and the international segment.

However, as it's stated, if one has an overnight connection, then lounge access isn't included for the connecting flights. So East Coast to SEA, overnight connection, and then early flight SEA to Asia would only allow lounge access after the overnight connection, despite DL apparently wanting to encourage people to use the SEA routes to Asia. The same problem arises with all of the award ticket inventory that uses overnight connections at the international gateway airport.

For long haul international flights, my impression was that the rule is interpreted to mean that you have lounge access for flights on the same day as the departure of the international flight and also the same day as the arrival of the international segment.

IIRC at one time the rule was "within 24 hours" of the international segment (same as the old rule for AmEx Plat/Centurion card lounge access), but again with some ambiguity, although my interpretation was always that "within" meant an entire band of time from 24 hours before departure to 24 hours after arrival.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat 100, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
The individual membership option just became available in the past couple months, so they don't have the 'upgrade' option yet for DMs. Not sure when it'll come online, but would have to be before end of Feb next year if they want pax to buy up.
Anyone have any luck with upgrading? I've been trying to upgrade my membership to Executive, but the Diamond line doesn't have any info.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:34 pm

Flying JFK-SFO this Friday in BE. Confirmed UG already using miles.

I know that I have access to the JFK sky club. Question is how early can I access the SC? With a flight at 4pm I'm planning to work from the SC that day before my flight. Will I be able to gain entry into the SC 7 hours before my flight? also will I be able to check in 1 bag that early before my flight?

Thx
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC

I know that I have access to the JFK sky club. Question is how early can I access the SC? With a flight at 4pm I'm planning to work from the SC that day before my flight. Will I be able to gain entry into the SC 7 hours before my flight? also will I be able to check in 1 bag that early before my flight?

Thx
If you can check in and get your boarding pass, then you can access the skyclub any time the same day as departure. Not sure about the bag... personally I wouldn't be comfortable having it sit in the system that long. If they accept it, its likely the bag will get put on an earlier flight.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Thx
If you have a boarding pass for a flight that day, you can use the SC if you can get to its door. At SFO, this is no problem because the SC is still land side unless it's already been moved/renovated, but generally a same day boarding pass for a flight from that airport/terminal allows you to go through TSA security at any time that day. At some airports, it's OK if your flight departs from a different terminal. [In fact, I recently discovered that you can go back through TSA security to the airside SC if you have a same day boarding pass to arrive at MSP the same day with no departing flight; I did this to wait for a checked bag that was arriving on the next flight.]

IIRC the general rule is that you cannot check a bag more than four hours before your scheduled departure, but YMMV. However, at SFO you could take the bag into the land side SC and then leave the lounge to check the bag later.

ADDED: Sorry, I just realized that you're departing from JFK not SFO. At JFK the SCs are airside as is the Oasis replacement PP lounge in T4 now IIRC.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))

Thx
You will have use of the SC all day but IIRC you can only check a bag up to four hours before your flight.

I wouldn't want to spend all day at the SC. Why not SDC into another flight open seats in first?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
You will have use of the SC all day but IIRC you can only check a bag up to four hours before your flight.

I wouldn't want to spend all day at the SC. Why not SDC into another flight open seats in first?
I need to work most of the day on Friday (remotely). Gogo is not fast enough for my VPN connection to work consistently. Also I want a flight that offers dinner in BE since i've never had that experience in the forward BE cabin. Only Breakfast or Lunch.

Thanks for comments. perhaps I'll just commute to the airport during lunch break so I don't have to worry about the bag check at a max of 4hrs before flight. I'd hate to get to JFK and be stuck landside until T-4 hours. i will have liquids in my checked bag that will not allow me through security.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So speaking of SC memberships... any word on if/when the option will be available for DMs to pay the $145 'upgrade' fee to convert the complimentary individual membership to executive?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:25 am

Why offer to pay before the transitional complimentary DM executive membership cards expire? I guess there might be concern to get the new card on time, but you can see it on delta.dumb and print a copy easily enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.