Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Ti22

Seriously, as terminals improve food & drink offerings domestic "Airline Lounges" have become ho-hum, IMO.
Agree in general, but the sustaining feature for some clubs (such as PHL) is the great staff.

Now, as far as comparisons to what the terminal can offer, the State of Pennsylvania just hit the PHL club with another restriction. No adult beverages before 11:00 AM on Sundays, but the bar 100 ft away is open for business. Go figure.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
The new $695 membership fee went into effect January 10.

So, by mid-April we should see about 25% of the overcrowding reductions that we are going to see as a result of the fee increase.

It will be interesting t see what this looks like, compared to the, probably minor, reductions due to guest restrictions that go into effect on May 1.
You may be right but I was thinking the greater impact on crowding would come from the $29/head more than the annual fee. Could see lots of reasons why someone would pay the new membership fee, even more so if it is paid for/reimbursed by biz. But unless that $29 is also reimbursed, that could get pretty expensive. Thinking mostly friends/families here.

Either way, we will know in a couple months.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
the sustaining feature for some clubs (such as PHL) is the great staff.
Agree. I have always greatly appreciated the staff in the E SC in ATL and more recently have come to know and appreciate the folks in the A17 club. However, seems like since DL farmed out the operations of the clubs that there are a lot of folks working in many of the clubs that are just there for a paycheck and have the personality of sandpaper. Rather than limited food options available only in a brief window of time daily, I'd rather see DL really up the quality of their lounge service.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
What do folks think about this opinion on the subject?

http://blogs.ncr.com/travel/travel/i...-club-changes/
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
Delta, when do Individual Sky Club memberships going to be available?
My membership just expired, but I don't need the Executive membership. You have this gap where those of us that expired are kinda screwed by being forced to pay for the higher level membership or not have club access. Very disappointed in the lack of thought there for some of your members.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Question if I have SC membership from being a DM and I have the reserve card, can I bring in someone flying with me to the club for free? Or if I have SC membership through Reserve and I am flying transcon J, can I bring in someone traveling with me. In each case I qualify under two methods, so could one be used for a guest? Officially I am sure answer is no but in practice?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
Question if I have SC membership from being a DM and I have the reserve card, can I bring in someone flying with me to the club for free? Or if I have SC membership through Reserve and I am flying transcon J, can I bring in someone traveling with me. In each case I qualify under two methods, so could one be used for a guest? Officially I am sure answer is no but in practice?
Officially and in practice, no. You might find an agent willing to make an exception occasionally, but it is far from "in practice".
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My opinions:
If you have membership from both DM and a DL Reserve then that should be considered the 'executive' membership and not be charged for a guest. Also, if you have a paid SC membership that doesn't expire for years and you get a free one from DM, you should be allowed to bring in guests. Very crappy that because I'm DM the 'free' one downgrades me to individual and I'd have to pay to bring in my so despite holding a DL Reserve and a SC card that shows 2018 expiration.

Very poor implementation on how the SC memberships are being changed and handled.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
My opinions:
If you have membership from both DM and a DL Reserve then that should be considered the 'executive' membership and not be charged for a guest. Also, if you have a paid SC membership that doesn't expire for years and you get a free one from DM, you should be allowed to bring in guests. Very crappy that because I'm DM the 'free' one downgrades me to individual and I'd have to pay to bring in my so despite holding a DL Reserve and a SC card that shows 2018 expiration.

Very poor implementation on how the SC memberships are being changed and handled.
My understanding is that any pre-paid SC membership years plus added time from qualifying for DM last year (for 2014 program year) will be converted to Executive membership. My current SC expiration is 2022 (due to several SC 3 year pre-purchases prior to changes and DM qualification last year) and I believe this will all be converted to Executive. Any added years from re-qualifying for DM going forward will be at the individual membership level.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
My understanding is that any pre-paid SC membership years plus added time from qualifying for DM last year (for 2014 program year) will be converted to Executive membership. My current SC expiration is 2022 (due to several SC 3 year pre-purchases prior to changes and DM qualification last year) and I believe this will all be converted to Executive. Any added years from re-qualifying for DM going forward will be at the individual membership level.
Exactly, but that is also the problem... starting 3/1/2015 our DM membership becomes individual and we can't bring in guests without paying, even though you have piles of years of paid SC membership there or a Reserve card.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
DL ought to do something like allow you to convert the DM membership to Executive at the cost of 3 months off the end of your paid membership (per year).
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by sethb
DL ought to do something like allow you to convert the DM membership to Executive at the cost of 3 months off the end of your paid membership (per year).
That would be great for folks with a lifetime membership.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL did say we could 'upgrade' our DM membership to executive for something like $145, but the point is we'd still be paying for something that we got with either being DM or the Reserve..
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
Exactly, but that is also the problem... starting 3/1/2015 our DM membership becomes individual and we can't bring in guests without paying, even though you have piles of years of paid SC membership there or a Reserve card.
Sorry, but I disagree with your interpretation. I guess it depends on whether the DM SC membership is inserted in front of your existing membership or appended to the end of the existing membership. My understanding is that it is appended and thus I will have Executive level until 2022. When I requal for Diamond this year, I believe this will add an Individual year of membership from 2022 - 2023. A DM SC membership is a real SC membership, so I don't understand why you are making a distinction. It's not like the DL Reserve card which is just an access card and not a real membership.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thats incorrect... we were told and confirmed by a DL rep that the complimentary DM membership gets inserted before the paid membership, thereby extending it out further. So you will go from being able to bring in guests to having to pay for them because your DM based membership will become individual on 3/1. The paid membership won't kick in until you don't qualify for DM or they change it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.