Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:48 pm

Just paid off all current charges on my Delta Reserve, moved all automatic charges to another rewards card, and wrote the cancellation letter.

At this point the Delta Reserve has lost one of its final benefits. I was thinking of dropping the card anyway, and the guest limitations imposed with the new SkyClub changes has sealed the fate.

Without the Delta Reserve card, I don't feel as obligated to use Delta and will now start to shop around for better fares/service with other airlines. That's a lot of lost first-class/international business class revenue for Delta from me, my wife, and business associates.

Their change in policy will definitely vacate the lounges. As someone else had posted, I have a feeling this will result in some SC closures due to lack of demand.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:29 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
On a side note, this thread has grown to 50+ pages in less than 24 hours. Is this a Flyertalk record?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Children are not an issue with me. People who lack respect for others are the root cause. Some of them happen to have kids... If we need to kick out kids, then I say we need to kick out Johnny blue tooth and his ultra important business deal making hijinks... I'd rather listen to children's laughter than Sal from Staten Island conduct business whilst using his favorite adjective 38 times in a conversation... The one that is a slang for a carnal act...
This!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
I might as well comment because everyone else has.

I'm starting to feel like the frog in rapidly boiling water: Redemptions are devalued, I have to move $25,000 of my spending to a card I don't like, and now next year I'll have to toss Delta $145 for the privilege of guesting my wife who has Delta Platinum status. There's about six or eight annual domestic flights where she flies with me.

With all that cash, you'd think Delta would stock a free-pour tequila or a beer that doesn't taste like diluted pee-pee.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jan 11, 2014 at 2:47 am
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Bowgie

I'm starting to feel like the frog in rapidly boiling water: Redemptions are devalued, I have to move $25,000 of my spending to a card I don't like, and now next year I'll have to toss Delta $145 for the privilege of guesting my wife who has Delta Platinum status. There's about six or eight annual domestic flights where she flies with.

With all that cash, you'd think Delta would stock a free-pour tequila or a beer that doesn't taste like diluted pee-pee.
+1, with the point being that DL wants to charge people MORE (and make pay for a guest) for crappy food and rancid alcohol...if there anyone here who can honestly say they enjoy the food offerings, and the free alcohol offerings? If you do, I would suggest that you need some form of therapy, preferably shock therapy. It is a disgrace, especially in ATL which DL's home town. One need only go to AMS to see how KL provides a great lounge in its home town. DL must think we are blind and stupid. Some people here may be stuck with DL's routes, but they don't have to shell out money for a miserable, gross and devalued SkyClub experience where there are other better options.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
It occurs to me that this is not at all about addressing the problem of over crowding. That's just the line we are being fed. If it were, the fee would be much higher than $29. It would be $50 or $100 or more. This is another cash crab. They actually don't care how crowded the clubs are---they want more money.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Plat
This devaluation further validates my decision to switch to AA EXP and ditch DL altogether. I am burning 1 million DL pesos as I type, and looking forward to my next lounge visits to AA, CX, and BA.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bowgie

Why did you use the word "diluted"????

Last edited by mapsgl; Jan 11, 2014 at 8:25 am
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Of course this move is a DL cash grab. And in return, DL customers get less than they used to from DL lounges.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why is it wrong that your spouse can't enter for free but OK that my colleague or friend cannot enter for free with me? What makes your spouse so special? In fact, one could even argue that it's more important for your mistress to be able to enter for free because she might be more likely to be discovered with you in the general terminal area and that could cause a disruption.....
That last argument likely doesn't sell well. Large crowds provide better camouflage opportunities for adulterous relationships than the following: a smaller crowd that has a higher degree of social capital and the connections that arise from that and consist more so of people of the same kind of socio-economic background as the philandering one(s) trying to hide the adulterous relationship.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
The thing is the main reason for overcrowding was not by members but by guests and people bringing their -annoying kids.
My Skyclub annoyances

Unruly kids 10% of the time
Unruly Double Diamond DYKWIA 20% of the time
Unruly sneezed on carrot sticks, fake cheese and Gordon's gin 70% of the time

This is a money grab as it is with most enhancements. Do people really think there is any other motivation for DL right now? Share holder value first, customer value probably around fifth

Short term i will welcome fewer people in the club. Long term it would be nice to see the domestic club experience elevated, (eg: the centurion lounge at LAS)
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fansvodka
I just don't understand when delta has a major change like this they cant announce the change and make it effective Jan 1st of the following year. The same thing with the transcon issue. STOP making changes that are effective almost immediately. You know these guys have been planning these changes for months now anyways
They have to goose their numbers to meet or exceed some kind of targets, in order to boost their final compensation. This is yet another way for DL management to try to do that, and they are so addicted to this, that they can't "afford" to wait it out to let customers sustain what customers had and expected.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:24 am

Does not solve the problem of parents who bring in 3 or 4 children (or more) into a SC and then fail to control them. Suggest that parents should have to pay a small fee - maybe $10 - for every child in excess of 2.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wow I'm out at CES for a few days and miss all of the excitement.

So what about the situation where I had previously purchased a few years of SC membership but am receiving comp membership due to DM status? Does this mean because I'm DM and getting SC for 'free' that I can no longer bring in a guest without paying, even though I had already also paid for a few years of membership? So in effect those deferred membership years sit there unused?

Will my previously paid membership years convert to the full exec membership?

Is the $29 fee good for a day or only individual visit? Its pretty absurd if it means you have to pay it each time with an itinerary involving a connection.

Last edited by rylan; Jan 11, 2014 at 3:44 am
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: DL DM; UA PLT
Originally Posted by rylan
Wow I'm out at CES for a few days and miss all of the excitement.

So what about the situation where I had previously purchased a few years of SC membership but am receiving comp membership due to DM status? Does this mean because I'm DM and getting SC for 'free' that I can no longer bring in a guest without paying, even though I had already also paid for a few years of membership? So in effect those deferred membership years sit there unused?

Will my previously paid membership years convert to the full exec membership?

Is the $29 fee good for a day or only individual visit? Its pretty absurd if it means you have to pay it each time with an itinerary involving a connection.
For the paid membership converting to the full exec membership. As I read it...yes. Take a look at this response and see if you get the same understanding out of it...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22126989-post499.html

The $29 fee is per visit. The example used was origination and connection flights...at $29/visit/club would be $58 total...so buying a $50 day pass would be better. Here is the response for that.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22126540-post400.html

Last edited by sterno24; Jan 11, 2014 at 4:02 am
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Also, has anyone seen the lounge benefits for STE+ members will change on May 1? All non-Skyteam, third-party lounges will become "business lounges", and STE+ members travelling in economy won't have access to them.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-benefits.html

Last edited by PDXNRTLHR; Jan 11, 2014 at 4:06 am Reason: Added link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.