Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
I haven't read all 60 something pages, but I keep seeing references to the new policy favoring families with kids and penalizing those without. I may have missed something, but didn't they say the $695 paid member could bring 2 guests, family or not? And the card access wouldn't allow any free guests, regardless of relationship, right? Don't see the discrimination against childless people there. Again, unless I missed something.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Upgrades and Enhancements????

So when do the new clubs in Las Vegas and San Juan open?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:54 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Marylou
I haven't read all 60 something pages, but I keep seeing references to the new policy favoring families with kids and penalizing those without. I may have missed something, but didn't they say the $695 paid member could bring 2 guests, family or not? And the card access wouldn't allow any free guests, regardless of relationship, right? Don't see the discrimination against childless people there. Again, unless I missed something.
I don't think anyone says the new policy penalizes childless people. I think people MAY be saying that they threw the baby out with the bath water. They did away with all free guest access just to keep the kids out.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by BlueStreak17
Does everyone just basically want to sit in a Skyclub alone? Or at least only with people exactly like them?
Not really. You know what they say about clubs...I'm not sure that I would want to be a member of any club that would have me!

Seriously, though, I've met some extremely interesting folks in the clubs, from the first Cincy draft pick to a doc that fast-tracked a pediatric transfer to ATL for my wife. I'm usually a solo traveler, but the mix of folks has been refreshing.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Does everyone just basically want to sit in a Skyclub alone? Or at least only with people exactly like them?
Yes, what's your point?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This will do nothing to reduce crowds. It is a pure and simple business choice to make more money....and I think its a risky choice.

Unlike onboard "enhancements," there is zero real need for a Sky Club. We have to fly, and are left with little choice of airline. But nobody has to use a club.

Those that think this is about Delta reducing crowds are dreaming. Just like MQD's...they are trying to make us make choices that make more money for them such as only buying Delta ticket stock.... they don't actually care about "providing a more exclusive experience." It is 100% about making money.
Agree 100 percent with everything that you said... I think it is very risky on Delta's part. The Sky Club is a nice to have and as people vote with their wallet (and loyalty), the tide could change for the mighty Del-duh...

On the other hand, nobody is putting a gun to anybody's head to become a member... Again it is a nice to have. When the percs are good, people keep their loyalty... As percs decrease or people's attitude become more and more negative towards an airline, they vote with their wallet... Del-duh's total focus is on money... Only time will tell if this strategy will work.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I think we all can agree that as long as Golds and Silvers have access to the club, it can not be considered exclusive.
Sounds like since the wife is Gold I need to leave her at the Chilli's.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Can we join her since the food is much better there than a SC?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by puddinhead
Sterno filtered through toast?
And then the toast served as snacks!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
JFK - I think three SCs in the old PA Worldport section down to 1 in the new T4 area albeit larger.
I think there were 2 in T3 and 1 in T1, plus Oasis in T4.

Now the T2 is still there, plus the new one in T4. So a shift from 4 to 2 if my understanding is right, rather than from 3 to 1. Plus if you have Priority Pass, you can still go to Oasis, in which case the only reason to go to the T4 Skyclub is if you want to shower in there.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I think there were 2 in T3 and 1 in T1, plus Oasis in T4.

Now the T2 is still there, plus the new one in T4. So a shift from 4 to 2 if my understanding is right, rather than from 3 to 1. Plus if you have Priority Pass, you can still go to Oasis, in which case the only reason to go to the T4 Skyclub is if you want to shower in there.
My point -- There is overcrowding - that's true -- but as DL has expanded it certainly seems like it hasn't added SCs or expanded them.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE

Ok this thread is officially too long. Is change bad? Absolutely. But the liquor / beer change was way way worse than this one, so let's everyone focus on that again. We can't lose perspective here. That thread MUST remain longer than this one!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
[QUOTE=DougSkymiles;22134028]
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Questions for DLCorpGal (assuming she comes out of hiding):

...The people having this card are your better customers.

I'm not sure where this assumption comes from.

This "assumption"? Somehow I don't think there are too many people out there paying $450 per annum for a Delta Reserve card to NOT fly Delta. But if you really believed this, then all these people having the Reserve card but not actually flying are also not crowding the SkyClubs because, well, they aren't flying.

Making the customer pay for their mistakes

Originally Posted by flyerdmc
They only have themselves to blame for the overcrowding. Maybe they should stop selling access to the Sky Clubs on delta.com and deltavacations.com to anyone who buys a ticket. They found a way to make some extra bucks on their websites but then it caused the overcrowding issues. So those of us who are loyal to Delta are once again penalized for their bad decisions.

You are spot on. The exclusivity was removed by Delta and now they want us to pay to get the exclusivity back. What's wrong with this picture? If my math is correct, it now costs me double the dollars (over three years) for a membership.

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
This thread has exploded. I think it is a perfect example of human behavior.
Those without kids want kids excluded.
Those with kids want an exception for kids.
Those who don't get in by credit card think that people who get in by credit cards should be curtailed.
Those who get access by credit card think their fee entitles them to exceptions.
Diamonds want gold excluded
Golds want silvers excluded
Single travelers don't want to subsidize spouses
Married travelers want and exception made for spouses only.

^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.