Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why not MSP? Also ATL already has The Club in F which is in PP, so a Centurion lounge would be somewhat superfluous. At SEA, LAX, and a few other airports, the AS Boardrooms are currently a good alternative.

Realistically Centurion and similar clubs are unlikely to apprear at airports like LAX, JFK, and LGA that aren't connected airside.
You mean like the one that's going in at SFO?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbjag
Interesting. It definitely was not there when I posted earlier. They must have just updated the site.
I had the same experience. It was not there when I logged into my SkyBonus account about 30 minutes ago.

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I think this is a net loss. I often travel with one adult companion (either my girlfriend on personal travel, or a work colleague for business), and now in most cases we will not be going in the lounge as a result (which may be good news to those of you who have an issue with overcrowding.)

I sense that I am in the minority here, but I do not have an issue with overcrowding, and I've paid multiple visits to lounges in ATL, JFK, LGA, LAX, SEA, MSP and others. Sure, less people in some cases would provide a slightly more tranquil experience, but I'm always able to find a seat, get a drink/snacks, charge my devices etc. without issue.

Programs: DL DM
I'm one of the biggest critics of the cheap booze switch, but this, WITHOUT A DOUBT will make it nicer in the club. I wish they'd raise it to $1000 for membership. Those would be MQD's, right? =-)

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME the AmEx Plat kids are the best of the bunch, then DM offspring and Reserve card families are about the same, then SC member offspring, and the worst are the GroupOn bunch. Maybe the problem is that those who plan to travel with large families are most likely to buy the SC membership versus the elite credit cards having financial requirements and other benefits beyond SC use by the whole gang.
MSPeconomist -- I often find your posts helpful, but this is one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever read on FT.

X kids are the best since their parents have to meet "financial requirements", whereas Y kids are the worst since their parents use Groupon...? Your contempt for lower-income families is showing.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by DLCorpGal
Centurion, Platinum and Delta Reserve card holders will still receive complimentary access for themselves and there will be a $29 per guest visit fee (max 2 guests).
Please clarify this. Do you truly mean "max 2 guests", or do you mean "max either 2 guests or immediately family members"? If I cannot bring my spouse and two children with me EVER, then that's signficant.

Separately, I guess I one could use the AMEX Plat $200 credit for these fees, but consider that for a family of 4, it's $87 each way (assuming no connection!), so $174 of the $200 on just one RT.

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Wow. For those complaining about overcrowding or out of control children running wild through the lounge, this is excellent news.

OTOH, those who use their membership to guest in friends and family will take a hit, especially the family with spouse and a few children. Now the entrance cost for them will be like the fee to get into a Disney park.
I think discontinuing the $50 one-time visits would help tremendously with crowding.

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
At least this may cut down on the "can someone guest me in?" requests we see here from time to time.
^

Programs: DL Spam; SPG Gold; other randoms
Originally Posted by motytrah
THIS!

I hardly use the clubs anymore, even though I'm entitled to them with my J tickets. When Heineken is the "best" complimentary beverage on tap I'll pass. (I'm still bitter about losing the NW craft and local beers in air and at clubs). Add to that the fact that public restaurants in the terminal are quieter and enforce keeping children in check FTW.

Maybe if the reduction in people increases the product I'll check it out again.
Wait! Heineken is complimentary?!? Where do I sign up?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Lastly, love the little disclaimer under executive membership that you can guest 2 but only "provided that Delta determines that adequate space exists".

That'll go over real well.
I believe that there was something in the old T&Cs about this as well. I have never once seen that enacted/enforced though.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:29 am
[INACTIVE] Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FoxBravo
DLCorpGal, could you please clarify, for Amex Platinum card holders does the $29 fee apply to immediate family members (i.e., spouse and children) or just other "guests"?
The $29 guest fee is for all guests.
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by cmonster78
I literally just upgraded my Amex from Platinum to Reserve for the SkyClub benefit. I mostly use the Skyclub with my spouse on more leisurely paced personal travel, so this change is frustrating for me. I'm not pleased with the short notice period.
You can get an AmEx unbranded credit card for $450, then get up to 3 secondary cards for a total of $175 (not $175 each).

Originally Posted by FlySkyTeam
Did I read this correctly? Does this include Delta Reserve card holders??
Seems to me that ALL credit cards are affected - only the cardholder is free.

Originally Posted by jsbh
The email I received noted the following (bold formatting is by me):
Diamond Medallion® members will continue to enjoy complimentary Executive Membership through the 2014 Medallion year. If you qualify for 2015 Diamond Medallion status, you will receive a complimentary Individual Membership beginning March 1, 2015. And, if guest access is a priority, you may upgrade to an Executive Membership as one of your Choice Benefits or by using miles or cash to pay the difference.

This suggest that next year we can upgrade with cash. How much? Would it be $695 minus the $100 Platinum discount minus the $450 value of the individual membership?
Seems to me to read it will cost $595, regardless of the "value" of the individual membership.

Originally Posted by scootr29
They need to clarify the Delta Reserve benefits...if I have to pay for my wife to enter the club in addition to the $450 card fee...it is a no brainer to get rid of the card.
Time to get rid of the card!

Originally Posted by LBJ
I think many folks are misreading the change for Plat Amex/Reserve card holders. The $29 fee only applies to guests, not to you when entering individually.
No misreading here. Many people travel with spouses/guests (not me usually) so they are hit with the $29 fee each time they bring a guest.

Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
@DLCorpGal -- I am a DM, but part of my 5 years or so of "prepaid" membership was paid with cash (before DM was introduced). I will no longer be getting what I paid for (access for friends, family), so I assume I am eligible for a refund. How do I obtain said refund?
No refund - your membership just continues to be extended until you lose your DM status.

Originally Posted by FoxBravo
DLCorpGal, could you please clarify, for Amex Platinum card holders does the $29 fee apply to immediate family members (i.e., spouse and children) or just other "guests"?
Seems to me to be all guests. No clarification needed. And it also seems like maximum two guests. So if you are traveling with wife and 2 kids, you couldn't even pay $29 x 3 to get them all in (though you would probably be crazy to pay that much anyway).

Originally Posted by javabytes
If you're still set on accessing the SC, I would just get him an additional card so he can get himself in. Unless that's also being affected in some way that I missed.
Especially since up to 3 additional platinum cards costs $175. Would make it very attractive in some cases.

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
I believe this blog should stay open for the sole purpose of the Amex cards and companions fees to come.

This blog is 50% DL and 50% Amex.
You will still received admission but will have to shell l out 29 dollars to bring in a companion.

They've added cover charges. What effect that will have on the demographics and crowding remains to be seen. They've also made it even more of a cover charge for Reserve Card holders since they cannot buy an unlimited cover charge upsell for $250 like other people who have a regular membership.
That's about it despite all the drama about children and spouses and procreation rights.

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Just one more kick in the n%#s from DL.

I access the SkyClubs with my DL Reserve and if I have a guest it's a business colleague or client. I'll just cash in some SkyBonus points for day passes now. After that if I have a client with me I'll pay for them to get in.

Nice of DL to charge more for their stale bagels, unhealthy snacks, and crappy free booze. There better be some real value add improvements to keep club members around.

I hope AMEX expands their lounges as well as Airspace. I'd much rather spend my time in one of their lounges of a PP lounge than a SkyClub.

Is it just me or has it been one downgrade after another from DL over the past 12 months? What have they really done for Medallion members that is a positive?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.