Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:28 pm

I don't expect my lifetime DL lounge membership to go under until I do. My $250 lifetime at UA lounge from the 60's is alive and well. And they credited the previous year's $25 and tossed in one for my wife as a bonus.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold   |   Former: DL Diamond, HA Pualani Gold
I've had the same problems. Club dragons in SEA and ATL are all very friendly, but none are able to help. They're all unclear on the rules and they'll call around to find answers. In SEA, someone told me that a redcoat had to be in the club to be able to do the upgrade.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:50 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Why. It's not like it is a great product. With BizPerks then DM I haven't paid a dime either in the last 10 years.
It is not horrible either.I had a 7PM flight and got my work done at 4PM so I headed to DCA club for 2+ hours. Far better than other options at DCA.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
But, they could take away the free DM membership option any time they want.

The lifetime paid memberships would probably last a few years longer.

I don't expect the paid lifetime memberships to survive beyond the end of this decade.

Va Ave has declared the end to lifetime benefits before. And, if they find a way to do so to their advantage, I am confident they would try again.
What lifetime benefit has Delta ended for which one paid cash?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by hnewman
I am so glad I gambled and bought a lifetime membership with NWA about 10 years ago.
+1 ^ Same with me .. bought one for myself and my wife.

I don't expect the paid lifetime memberships to survive beyond the end of this decade.

Va Ave has declared the end to lifetime benefits before. And, if they find a way to do so to their advantage, I am confident they would try again.
I think DL will take away the free DM membership option 'any time they want', probably in the next 3 years, as they will want to enhance the membership experience.

Regarding the paid lifetime memberships, one possible way for Delta to do so would be to make an offer of cash + 'n' limited number of years say 5 or 10 years of Membership from the date they make the offer. Doubt they will attempt this.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by dd1612
I think DL will take away the free DM membership option 'any time they want', probably in the next 3 years, as they will want to enhance the membership experience.

Regarding the paid lifetime memberships, one possible way for Delta to do so would be to make an offer of cash + 'n' limited number of years say 5 or 10 years of Membership from the date they make the offer. Doubt they will attempt this.
Seeing UA and AA don't give their highest tiers Lounge access, wouldn't surprise me either if Delta eliminated it.

However, Delta requires an additional 25,000 miles a year for highest tiers. And the other benefits aren't as good as on AA (AA EP companions clear on an upgrade a LOT easier than for a DL diamond due to their upgrade policy) as well as better SWU's.

I wouldn't have an issue with Delta taking away this benefit to be comparable with AA if they changed the upgrade policy to be like AA's for companions, they would make the SWU policy like American's as far as number and ease of use (I would be happy with only that change in exchange for paying for my skyclub membership), and adopt UA and AA's policy of no longer giving Am Ex swipe entrances on the non-branded cards.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: DL - DM, SPG - Plat
Pay for upgrade as a DM success?

Has anyone been able to pay the $145 upgrade as a DM to executive? I just called the Diamond desk and they quoted me the price of $595, they didn't seem to give me any credit for the individual membership I already have as part of the diamond benefits.

If anyone has had success with this, I'd be interested in hearing how you asked.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by campbe79
Has anyone been able to pay the $145 upgrade as a DM to executive? I just called the Diamond desk and they quoted me the price of $595, they didn't seem to give me any credit for the individual membership I already have as part of the diamond benefits.

If anyone has had success with this, I'd be interested in hearing how you asked.
Welcome to our nightmare.

The *only* shot you have at making this work:

1) Visit a physical SkyClub -- no phone calls
2) Explain to the desk that your Diamond status grants you Individual membership from March 1 onward (valued at $450)
3) Explain that an Executive Membership is valued at $695
4) Explain that the difference between $695 and $450 leaves a $245 upgrade gap
5) Explain that Diamonds get a $100 "Diamond discount" on an Executive membership purchase if completed on or before 2/28.

I'm trying it on Sunday. Wish me luck, but @DeltaAssist seems to think that approach will work in person.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It appears to be an empty promise that we could 'upgrade' for cash from the individual to exec for 145, let alone 245. Nobody seems to know its an option or how to even go about trying to do it.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Even today...Delta Promises an Executive Membership through January 2016

Take a look at today's (Feb 20 2015) wording on the Medallion Choice benefits page (I have screenshot it and pdf'd it to preserve the evidence).

Delta promises:

here is the wording (from Delta):

"Delta Sky Club Executive Membership Upgrade: Members who qualify for 2015 Diamond Medallion status may use one of their 2015 Choice Benefits selections to upgrade from an Individual to an Executive Delta Sky Club Membership. The Executive upgrade will be applied to the oldest issued Individual Membership and the member will receive an Executive Membership for the amount of time between Choice Benefits selection and the end of the 2015 Medallion year (January 31, 2016)."

A person who waited until the last moment, say next Saturday (2-28-2015) to select their Choice Benefit would read that as a commitment to have that Executive Membership through January 31, 2016.

So, they PROMISED a Delta Sky Club Executive Membership through January 31, 2016. Don't they have to honor that?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:24 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
My SC card in Passbook says "executive" valid through 6/23/16.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by hnewman
I am so glad I gambled and bought a lifetime membership with NWA about 10 years ago.
+1
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite

while I'm not a lawyer I don't believe DL can change the terms of the contract they (as successor) entered into with individuals who purchased lifetime memberships....these could be been cancelled in bankruptcy but they weren't
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:26 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by John DELTA
Take a look at today's (Feb 20 2015) wording on the Medallion Choice benefits page (I have screenshot it and pdf'd it to preserve the evidence).

Delta promises:

here is the wording (from Delta):

"Delta Sky Club Executive Membership Upgrade: Members who qualify for 2015 Diamond Medallion status may use one of their 2015 Choice Benefits selections to upgrade from an Individual to an Executive Delta Sky Club Membership. The Executive upgrade will be applied to the oldest issued Individual Membership and the member will receive an Executive Membership for the amount of time between Choice Benefits selection and the end of the 2015 Medallion year (January 31, 2016)."

A person who waited until the last moment, say next Saturday (2-28-2015) to select their Choice Benefit would read that as a commitment to have that Executive Membership through January 31, 2016.

So, they PROMISED a Delta Sky Club Executive Membership through January 31, 2016. Don't they have to honor that?
None of this language says anything about promising an Executive membership ... it says that if you used your choice 2015 benefits to upgrade, you get an Executive membership, and I don't think anyone disputes that. If you didn't, or haven't, then you don't.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: Delta PM
SOLVED! (But it's not great news for Diamonds)

The "$100 Diamond discount" only applies to folks buying the ENTIRE $695 Executive membership? Who would do that? Current Diamonds who are about to drop to Platinum, Gold, Silver, or no status. This discount does no good whatsoever to folks who will remain Diamond.

For those folks, you have to wait until March 1st, at which point you can upgrade in cash for $245, which is the different between the $695 Executive membership and the $450 Individual membership that you'll get for free.

Incredibly annoying, but there's your answer. Took about 6 calls to supervisors from within a SkyClub to get those details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.