Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by relangford
Maybe DL is less generous than UA. I am a Lifetime member of the United Club and they gives my "expiration" date as 12/31/2099 (when I'll be just shy of 155 years old).
Don't drink the free drinks, and don't consume the excess calories of the free snacks, and you just might live 2/3rds of that time to enjoy the lounge!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Howste
Last week I asked at the Sky Club when my Executive membership expires. The agent told me that her system showed mine would end 12/25/2015. I told her I have a family trip scheduled at the end of March, and she said it should still be valid then and I could guest them (spouse and under 18) in. I have high hopes that it's true.
On Delta.com, my Executive membership still shows expiration of 12/28/2015.
I think I first turned Diamond a few years back on 11/28 in the same year Delta was handing out double Perk Choices to Diamonds (That error was long since stopped). Maybe the differing expirations somehow trace back to the date we first turned Diamond + one month.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
According to the app (assuming it's correct) I have exec membership through Sep of this year.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Wow, what a cluster.

I have been trying to get a straight answer on what it takes to upgrade my upcoming Individual SkyClub membership (free by being a Diamond) to an Executive.

I finally received a message from @DeltaAssist on Twitter that it's $145 if paid before 2/28/15, and $245 if paid after 3/1/2015.

But I cannot, for the life of me, get ANYONE at Delta to take my money. The SkyClub desks at JFK and ATL are dumbfounded. The Diamond line acknowledges that I'm supposed to be able to pay cash but cannot find the formal funnel to accept my payment and upgrade me.

What a nightmare. And it's going to become a more vicious one come 3/1 when families are rejected en masse from the SkyClub.

Anyone having any luck upgrading as a Diamond?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
You are supposed to be able to upgrade it with one of your Choice Benefits as a 2015 Diamond for free after March 1. If you are not a 2015 Diamond then I don't know how they would take your money.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Paplover
You are supposed to be able to upgrade it with one of your Choice Benefits as a 2015 Diamond for free after March 1. If you are not a 2015 Diamond then I don't know how they would take your money.
If the buy-up is only $145, then that would be a terrible use of a Choice Benefit.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by GoHogsAR
If the buy-up is only $145, then that would be a terrible use of a Choice Benefit.
I am a 2015 Diamond. I've already used my Choice Benefits. Using a benefit for $145 is a truly awful idea, as was stated.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by southpaw1227
Wow, what a cluster.

I have been trying to get a straight answer on what it takes to upgrade my upcoming Individual SkyClub membership (free by being a Diamond) to an Executive.

I finally received a message from @DeltaAssist on Twitter that it's $145 if paid before 2/28/15, and $245 if paid after 3/1/2015.

But I cannot, for the life of me, get ANYONE at Delta to take my money. The SkyClub desks at JFK and ATL are dumbfounded. The Diamond line acknowledges that I'm supposed to be able to pay cash but cannot find the formal funnel to accept my payment and upgrade me.

What a nightmare. And it's going to become a more vicious one come 3/1 when families are rejected en masse from the SkyClub.

Anyone having any luck upgrading as a Diamond?
I tried today. @DeltaAssist sent me to https://www.delta.com/skyclub/purcha...Request.action. When I told them that link only gave the option to purchase a new membership, not upgrade, they suggested I call Online support (888-750-3284). Online support put me on hold for five minutes before coming back and telling me I needed to get a promo code from @DeltaAssist. @DeltaAssist said that they don't have access to promo codes, but I should check My Wallet on Delta.com for any eligible promo codes.

Next I called the DM line. I was told I could do it in person at any SkyClub. I told them I tried at MSP this week and they didn't know anything about it. After another hold, I was told to wait until 3/1 and then I would be able to do it online or in person. I asked about a possible price increase going into effect on 3/1 and was told that they didn't have any information on pricing.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's despicable if they refuse to take your money before the price increases by $100.

I wonder whether other categories of SC memberships are being similarly increased in price.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
This is truly truly bizarre...
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by cfabar1
This is truly truly bizarre...
Understatement of the year. I know that Delta's IT is lacking, but seriously, this is just completely and utterly broken. No one should have to try this hard to give a company money.

What's going to happen is this. On 3/1, hordes of oblivious Diamonds are going to march into a SkyClub with their family, and they'll be told they no longer have an Executive membership. Then they'll be told to pay $29 per guest or pay the $695 for an Executive membership. At which point it's going to get very heated.

I have a really tough time believing that this process is this broken, but it is.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
My executive membership expires September so I am hoping it will be fixed by then and I just get a plain and simple email reminder.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
I am so glad I gambled and bought a lifetime membership with NWA about 10 years ago.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by hnewman
I am so glad I gambled and bought a lifetime membership with NWA about 10 years ago.
Why. It's not like it is a great product. With BizPerks then DM I haven't paid a dime either in the last 10 years.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Why. It's not like it is a great product. With BizPerks then DM I haven't paid a dime either in the last 10 years.
But, they could take away the free DM membership option any time they want.

The lifetime paid memberships would probably last a few years longer.

I don't expect the paid lifetime memberships to survive beyond the end of this decade.

Va Ave has declared the end to lifetime benefits before. And, if they find a way to do so to their advantage, I am confident they would try again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.