Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will delta honor a pricing glitch?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To some extent, the MQD requirements do this. The glitch fares will only help on status for those who also fly a lot of expensive fares--or who get the AmEx spend or foreign address waivers. For instance, a few glitch trips to Hawaii would potentially help a segment qualifier to reach a higher elite level using MQMs rather than MQSs.
Agreed. Although there is a lot of glee about sticking it to the man with mistake fares, my guess is from a revenue perspective its less impact than one days savings on the 1/2 cashews that DL sells to UA ....

Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: A few
I was on a DL international flight at the time, without WiFi. I'm not sure what I would have done if I had known.

To me, it was surprising how few bloggers picked it up at the time. When I learned about the glitch, I half expected that that would have been the hot-breaking blog topic that morning, with the resulting screams about whether the bloggers had "spoiled" it for everyone. Even a couple days later, few blogs seem to have discussed it, although IIRC a few bloggers (including some who normally avoid DL) report having bought multiple tickets at the glitch prices.
I picked it up on DansDeals. I was about to hit the slopes at Whistler so didn't have time to blog about it and frankly I knew the deal was on it's last legs (I had to try multiple attempts on the Priceline app to get anything to stick) so I just emailed out to a list of people who had signed up for a blog mini-do to let them know. In fairness these deals are infrequent and rarely last long. IIRC the United deal only lasted around 20 minutes.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Simple fix here would be for airlines to declare in SkyMiles T&C that any fare declared a 'fare mistake' before travel will not accrue any benefits to the SM program.

While people still may travel on the fares to actually get somewhere they want to go, my guess is you would eliminate a lot of demand from MR.
I'm not sure why some have adopted the 'poor Delta' line. Everyone makes mistakes and Delta has to live with this one. If I make a mistake when booking a ticket Delta is surely going to make a nice profit off of me in change fees and fare differences. The mistake was my fault and I wouldn't expect anyone else to throw a pity party for me. If Delta is making so many mistakes in fare pricing that they need to add disclaimers then something is terribly wrong.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'm not sure why some have adopted the 'poor Delta' line. Everyone makes mistakes and Delta has to live with this one. If I make a mistake when booking a ticket Delta is surely going to make a nice profit off of me in change fees and fare differences. The mistake was my fault and I wouldn't expect anyone else to throw a pity party for me. If Delta is making so many mistakes in fare pricing that they need to add disclaimers then something is terribly wrong.
exactly
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:39 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
If you make a mistake in booking your ticket you have 24 hours to cancel your ticket with no penalty, a concession provided by Delta to meet DoT rules. On the other hand, DoT rules require Delta to honor pricing mistakes with no grace period given to Delta. I'm not trying to stand up for airlines making mistakes, but to claim that they deserve it because they would do the same doesn't hold water in my opinion.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Mine posted correctly.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
**deleted**
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
If you make a mistake in booking your ticket you have 24 hours to cancel your ticket with no penalty, a concession provided by Delta to meet DoT rules. On the other hand, DoT rules require Delta to honor pricing mistakes with no grace period given to Delta. I'm not trying to stand up for airlines making mistakes, but to claim that they deserve it because they would do the same doesn't hold water in my opinion.
By that logic I should be due $200-300 every time DL has a schedule change. I'll take that offer.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by motytrah
By that logic I should be due $200-300 every time DL has a schedule change. I'll take that offer.
Offer accepted LOL
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: DL PM,1MM
I was on a DL international flight at the time, without WiFi. I'm not sure what I would have done if I had known.

To me, it was surprising how few bloggers picked it up at the time. When I learned about the glitch, I half expected that that would have been the hot-breaking blog topic that morning, with the resulting screams about whether the bloggers had "spoiled" it for everyone. Even a couple days later, few blogs seem to have discussed it, although IIRC a few bloggers (including some who normally avoid DL) report having bought multiple tickets at the glitch prices.
I received an urgent message from my sister-in-law to call her at work. I thought a family member was ill or worse. She's a travel agent and was busily booking for everyone she could think of. Luckily I had mentioned I needed a last minute ticket to Hawaii at dinner on Christmas Day and she called me. $46 to Hawaii was a nice gift :-)
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:23 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by brazzleman
I needed a last minute ticket to Hawaii :-)
Yes, don't we all!!!!!!!!

Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by brazzleman
...She's a travel agent ...
Given the discussion in another thread about the ethics of taking advantage of mistake fares, I'm interested to hear if she or her colleagues are bound by any industry ethics guidelines. Or if they have an informal comm channel like we have FT to assist the process?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Originally Posted by LBJ
There is no such law. Inventory can change at any time between the time you price a flight and the time you actually purchase it.
Yes and the DOT and federal regulations state that the airline MUST honor a ticketed fare. If you have a ticket number then you are safe. The key is that there must be some value to the fare. Even $0.01 is safe. If no value to the fare and only taxes and fees then it is arguable.

In the case of Delta's fare mistakes the tickets have a fare value. So if you have a ticket number they are obligated to honor it.

No ticket number then you again are not likely to prevail.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Back in 2006 I purchased a different kind of "glitch" fare on NW -- in fact two of them -- allowed routing east coast of US to AMS and London by way on HNL and ANC in both directions. They generated 25-30,000 base miles for about $400 each (the current normal routing fare for east coast to the transAtlantic hubs).
I tried to volunteer to take a bump on one of the legs -- SEA-AMS or LGW as I recall (I think NW was still flying to Gatwick at the time). The agent initially said yes, then called me up and said that because I was flying on the "glitch" routing he couldn't make any changes in the ticket, so couldn't accept me as a VDB.
The kicker was, he gave me an opup.
So I'm not surprised that DL would want to hold fast to the routing.
tom
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL doesn't even need to change the rules. For most of these flights, such as all the HNL vacations people grabbed, there won't be any X inventory for SDC or G for those with FC tickets. It's unfortunate that this can also affect those who purchased regular fares earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.