Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will delta honor a pricing glitch?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Bubba, I often agree with your post, but not here. When the airlines can oversell the Premium Cabin and then tell the unlucky passenger "Sorry that the premium cabin is full - here's your middle seat in coach for the 15+ hour flight to SYD, and oh by the way, all we owe you is the 'difference in fare or mileage'", tell me why people should feel bad for the airline here. When the airline can tell me that my FC "A" fare is actually an "Economy Up-fare" and that I didn't really buy a first class ticket and downgrade me to Economy in IROPS, tell me why people should feed bad for the airline here. When my schedule changes or if I need to cancel a ticket, the airline charges me a hefty fee for doing so, yet if the airline changes its schedule or ceases serving a destination, they don't shell out any "penalty" to me, so tell me why people should feel bad for the airline here. I'd feel differently if this was some local business that regularly demonstrated integrity and honesty towards its customers but that's not the case with the airlines, and you're going to have a hard time finding too many people who have much sympathy for the airline here.
I'm nor arguing that airlines have some of the lowest scores in customer perception surveys (if not THE lowest). What I am arguing is the gamer that books 6 different F trips to Hawaii because they are cheap. It is greed, it is gluttony, and I challenge you to state otherwise (whether you feel the same as I do about the ethics).

What you are quoting there are generally one-off situations. They are the company with the $250 million planes, the infrastructure, the employees, and the fuel purchase. Your SYD example, a customer can wait until the cabin is available (same with your A fare example), and the fare rules clearly describe penalties. People book these and check a box indicating they understand the penalties. DL honored the fares. End of story. I hope in the future, they will do something to take away ancillary benefits from those that participate in greed and gluttony. Grandma signing on to DL.com and finding $90 roundtrip to HNL is F is far-different than someone who posts on FT multiple times a day and buying 10.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Delta has to make up the costs somewhere. They are the multi-billion dollar corporation that has the means to squeeze you, so they will in the end.
Are you claiming that Delta would otherwise have left behind profits, but because it made a mistake and sold a few tickets too cheaply it's going to someone increase profits over what it would have made? I thought you were the one who was always claiming that Delta was out to maximize its profits at all times; if that was the case, any additional "squeezing" it tries to do can only lower its profits. Is that what you're suggesting it do?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I hope in the future, they will do something to take away ancillary benefits from those that participate in greed and gluttony.
So you don't think DL should attempt to maximize its profits? That's what "greed and gluttony" is all about, you know.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
What you are quoting there are generally one-off situations.
I realized that after I posted it and edited almost immediately to show a blank box and imply I was more-so referencing all of your posts and points rather than that one specific post. You just responded too quickly. ;-)

I'm nor arguing that airlines have some of the lowest scores in customer perception surveys (if not THE lowest). What I am arguing is the gamer that books 6 different F trips to Hawaii because they are cheap. It is greed, it is gluttony, and I challenge you to state otherwise (whether you feel the same as I do about the ethics).
But again, if you can establish the "greed", is that greed any different than the greed the airlines have established and probably far better and employ far more frequently?

They are the company with the $250 million planes, the infrastructure, the employees, and the fuel purchase. Your SYD example, a customer can wait until the cabin is available (same with your A fare example), and the fare rules clearly describe penalties. People book these and check a box indicating they understand the penalties. DL honored the fares. End of story.
The customer may be given the option of waiting until the next day by the airline but that may not be a reasonable option. I think the case can also be made that if the passenger knew the product they wanted wasn't going to be available, the passenger would have purchased a similar product through another provider rather than accept the lesser product on the same provider. And not saying the fare rules don't describe penalties (I accept them when I click "Purchase"), but DL also knows the DOT rules with regards to published fares and what happens if they accidentally post the incorrect fare. They could invest in the IT to prevent these sort of issues but have chosen not to do so.

I hope in the future, they will do something to take away ancillary benefits from those that participate in greed and gluttony. Grandma signing on to DL.com and finding $90 roundtrip to HNL is F is far-different than someone who posts on FT multiple times a day and buying 10
They already are with MQDs. While these fares may help the MQM count, they won't help much in the MQD department.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES

I may be along for the ride next to you, but I will have paid my fair share headed to my condo in HI
...and now you will probably have to pay a bit more for that seat to offset the losses from the glitch fare seats... We don't normally agree on everything, but I do foresee some consequences due to this glitch. I will do a bit more research before booking than I would normally do to see if Upgrade potential exists on the flights I am booking. I also expect higher fares on impacted flights/routes. AA may gain a larger share of my business if these things do become apparent.

Speculation on my part, but DL will find a way of recouping its losses...
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
...What I am arguing is the gamer that books 6 different F trips to Hawaii because they are cheap. It is greed, it is gluttony, and I challenge you to state otherwise...
It would seem to me that as a stockholder, you would be far less concerned with the thieves (oops, I mean customers) and far more concerned with the very serious control failure (human and otherwise) that allowed this glitch to happen and go on for 8 hours, and more specifically what additional controls are being put in place to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Last edited by DLdweeb; Jan 3, 2014 at 7:34 am
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by suvayanr
could it have to do with the fact that mine were booked on Priceline?
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ing-issue.html

Priceline Pricing Issues
Delta is aware of issues with customers who booked reservations via www.Priceline.com during the morning of Thursday, Dec. 26, 2013. Delta is working with Priceline to ensure tickets are booked for those customers who received Priceline contract numbers, but did not receive a confirmed ticket number. Impacted customers should email Delta Reservations at [email protected] with a Priceline contract number and their contact information.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Bubba, I often agree with your posts, but not here. When the airlines can oversell the Premium Cabin and then tell the unlucky passenger "Sorry that the premium cabin is full - here's your middle seat in coach for the 15+ hour flight to SYD, and oh by the way, all we owe you is the 'difference in fare or mileage'", tell me why people should feel bad for the airline here. When the airline can tell me that my FC "A" fare is actually an "Economy Up-fare" and that I didn't really buy a first class ticket and downgrade me to Economy in IROPS, tell me why people should feed bad for the airline here. When my schedule changes or if I need to cancel a ticket, the airline charges me a hefty fee for doing so, yet if the airline changes its schedule or ceases serving a destination, they don't shell out any "penalty" to me, so tell me why people should feel bad for the airline here. I'd feel differently if this was some local business that regularly demonstrated integrity and honesty towards its customers but that's not the case with the airlines, and you're going to have a hard time finding too many people who have much sympathy for the airline here.
Exactly. Those who are dishonest deserve no sympathy.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
...and now you will probably have to pay a bit more for that seat to offset the losses from the glitch fare seats... We don't normally agree on everything, but I do foresee some consequences due to this glitch. I will do a bit more research before booking than I would normally do to see if Upgrade potential exists on the flights I am booking. I also expect higher fares on impacted flights/routes. AA may gain a larger share of my business if these things do become apparent.

Speculation on my part, but DL will find a way of recouping its losses...
Why do you believe that DL doesn't already maximize its profits? If it could increase its profits to "recoup its losses" why wouldn't it do the exact same thing to increase its profits?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by sethb
Why do you believe that DL doesn't already maximize its profits? If it could increase its profits to "recoup its losses" why wouldn't it do the exact same thing to increase its profits?
Never argued that they didn't. However, with Premium seats being sold off cheaply, reduced capacity will require DL to make up for lost revenue on those seats. Now, does this mean less A/G/I type fares? time will tell. I find it hard to believe that those discounted fares would not be impacted on flights where glitch fares were sold. As long as there is demand, the reduction of capacity / seats sold to glitch fares could pay off for DL if they can sell remaining seats at a premium. The ultimate losers will probably be DM/PM/GM medallions hoping for upgrades. This is why I will be a little more careful in strategically choosing flights sith better upgrade odds..

Another question could be on the Y fares. With glitch fares sold in economy, will this mean less inventory in lower fare buckets, thus leading to higher fare availability? I guess that we will see some impact here as well.

I do not expect to see DL lose much here. The losses will be passed along to those trying to book future travel.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Never argued that they didn't. However, with Premium seats being sold off cheaply, reduced capacity will require DL to make up for lost revenue on those seats. Now, does this mean less A/G/I type fares? time will tell. I find it hard to believe that those discounted fares would not be impacted on flights where glitch fares were sold. As long as there is demand, the reduction of capacity / seats sold to glitch fares could pay off for DL if they can sell remaining seats at a premium. The ultimate losers will probably be DM/PM/GM medallions hoping for upgrades. This is why I will be a little more careful in strategically choosing flights sith better upgrade odds..

Another question could be on the Y fares. With glitch fares sold in economy, will this mean less inventory in lower fare buckets, thus leading to higher fare availability? I guess that we will see some impact here as well.

I do not expect to see DL lose much here. The losses will be passed along to those trying to book future travel.
If DL was able to sell those seats at a premium, it would already do so. Just because they sold a bunch of mistake fares doesn't suddenly make their remaining inventory worth more. You can say all you want that RM will try extra hard now to make up lost revenue by limiting discounted inventory, but they're going to be limited in their ability to do so by 1) the number of people that are willing to pay the higher prices, which hasn't at all changed, and 2) fares filed by competitors that didn't sell a bunch of glitch fares.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by javabytes
If DL was able to sell those seats at a premium, it would already do so. Just because they sold a bunch of mistake fares doesn't suddenly make their remaining inventory worth more. You can say all you want that RM will try extra hard now to make up lost revenue by limiting discounted inventory, but they're going to be limited in their ability to do so by 1) the number of people that are willing to pay the higher prices, which hasn't at all changed, and 2) fares filed by competitors that didn't sell a bunch of glitch fares.
sorry javabytes this is way too intelligent and well thought out a response for this thread. delta will get everyone back for this no matter what the facts are!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Letting people know they are trash, human refuse, gluttons, cheats, whiners, gamers and thieves is a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.
you say that as if some FTers and some airlines are different from others.

the whole point of miles is to induce more spending. but the airlines were not satisfied with that so they constantly change the rules, move the goals, limit inventory, etc. if the miles were as represented, and could be easily redeemed, there would be no FT. its only because the airlines are essentially deceptive - the provide the illusion of one thing, and then deliver something much less - that you need to spend hours on FT to get close to the value you were led to believe.

and then the whole purpose of FT is to allow you to maximize that value. is that gaming, cheating, greedy, gluttony? pejorative labels are not helpful imho. i don't see how a mileage run is much different from a mistake fare.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
sorry javabytes this is way too intelligent and well thought out a response for this thread. delta will get everyone back for this no matter what the facts are!!!!!!!!
Seriously, you really missed the point..

Originally Posted by javabytes
It is whatever the market will allow. Supply and demand. I am not saying all fares will go up, but I foresee an impact. Less fares in lower buckets is most likely the case. Sure people can buy on other airlines. However, loyalty may keep them at DL.

I would hope that all pricing and selling strategies would remain the same, but that would not be a wise rm move on DL'S part. Why sell the last seat on a plane at a discount when you can try for a premium.

The one major question is how many of these fares are out there and how much capacity is affected. If minimal, its business as usual. If significant, then there will be some obvious changes in strategy. My guess is that it is fairly minimal and only certain flights will see an impact. HNL seems to be listed a lot. Perhaps that route was hit a little harder than others... I do not see this speculation as being too far fetched....
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Firewind
I wish the discussion would take a turn toward who's getting the furthest on this. And are there any international trips, even U.S. to/from Canada?
sure, the fares were all available to/from Canada.

And best yet, and this will really irritate the one vocal DL-lover here, we are exempt from MQDs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.