Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will delta honor a pricing glitch?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Found a sweater at Macys on which they didn't put a security tag. .. Take it.
I can believe that you would, if you aren't a stockholder in Macy*s.

Just the cost of doing business. I stick by all my comments and am amazed at the level of PM I am getting that support my stance.
The Lurkers Support Me in Email.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:35 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by DanTravels
I've heard of a kind of insurance called "errors & omissions" which might cover that sort of thing, although I think I more often hear of it in cases where people are suing you over your errors or omissions.
A public company the size of Delta would essentially self-insure for this type of exposure. E&O insurance is typically best as a mechanism for reimbursement of legal defense costs. If Delta did have E&O (or "Cyber Liability" coverage) that would cover this type of peril, that would have a fairly sizable self insured retention to contend with. A self insured retention ("SIR") is somewhat similar to a deductible, however with a SIR the policy holder has to first pay out an agreed to amount on the claim before the insurance company chips in. Comparing-a-self-insured-retention-to-a-deductible

Another potential issue if Delta had E&O or Cyber liability coverage that might kick in is the indemnity amount of the loss. I doubt Delta could convince an insurer that the sale of a first class ticket to Hawaii for $80 vs. the $1,680 intended tariff is a reimbursable loss of $1,600.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:43 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Craig6z
I doubt Delta could convince an insurer that the sale of a first class ticket to Hawaii for $80 vs. the $1,680 intended tariff is a reimbursable loss of $1,600.
I was also thinking that the insurance company might argue that DL would hafto prove that they actually lost money - - ie: They might have to prove that those same people were going to buy the exact same tickets, thereby showing a loss - with the insurance company potentially arguing, that many of those tickets might have either been purchased on another carrier, or not purchased at all, if it wasn't for the mistake.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by davetravels
I was also thinking that the insurance company might argue that DL would hafto prove that they actually lost money - - ie: They might have to prove that those same people were going to buy the exact same tickets, thereby showing a loss - with the insurance company potentially arguing, that many of those tickets might have either been purchased on another carrier, or not purchased at all, if it wasn't for the mistake.
I've made that same argument in the threads where DL downgraded a passenger from BE to Y because DL oversold BE and DL's mere response is "all we're required to do is refund you the 'applicable difference in fare'.", which isn't even defined (yes, before anyone says anything - I do know that's what the DOT regs say as well - I don't agree with those either). If I really wanted Business Class and knew DL wasn't going to honor it, I could very easily make the case that I would have purchased a similar product from another provider and not the Y product DL was forcing me in to.

Given the fees the airlines are imposing these days and the crap people deal with from airlines - for example, if the airline can get away with saying "That A fare you bought was really a Coach 'UP' fare so sorry there's an IROP but here's your middle seat in Economy and we don't owe you anything" or "Yea sorry we oversold Business Elite so here's a downgrade to Y and oh by the way, we only owe you the difference in mileage and nothing else; be happy you got a seat" - I doubt too many people are going to have much sympathy for the airlines in this case. I'd feel differently if this was a business that regularly displayed honesty and integrity towards its customers (such as a small, local business), but that's hardly the case with the airlines. With the way airlines seem to look forward to screwing you over, hard for me or many others to feel any sympathy when their mistakes costs them (if this is even going to cost them at all - as other pointed out - the free publicity they're getting out of this may be worth more than what they're losing on the 'mistake' fares).

Last edited by FlyDeltaJets87; Dec 28, 2013 at 4:26 pm
Old Dec 28, 2013, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Found a sweater at Macys on which they didn't put a security tag. .. Take it. Just the cost of doing business. I stick by all my comments and am amazed at the level of PM I am getting that support my stance.
Even you know that's a ridiculous analogy.

If I find a sweater at Macy's that has a $15 sticker over the $100 sticker, and I take it to the cash register, I don't expect to pay $100 for it.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Just received this email from TripAdvisor:

Regarding the especially low airfares in your recent Air Watch…

Dear Air Watch subscriber,

Earlier this week, TripAdvisor emailed out especially low air fares available from Delta Air Lines. Delta has since acknowledged a system glitch (on Thursday December 26) that gave travelers access to extremely low airfares from Delta. Delta has addressed the glitch and plans to honor all completed transactions related to Thursday's mistakenly deeply-discounted fares. According to Delta, this system glitch happened for about 8 hours, which is why these fares may have been impossible to find by the time the TripAdvisor email reached your inbox.

We wanted to make you aware of what happened in case you were confused or disappointed by Delta's glitch. And we want to wish you happy travels in 2014.
This is a first. And at the weekend. I suggest that it's because they are concerned that they have exposure, because The Man, whoever that might be, has teeth and is willing to use them.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 8:06 pm

Appears that Delta is now honoring even third-party reservations that were not ticketed:

http://bostonherald.com/business/bus...onor_man_s_tix
Old Dec 28, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
It's amazing to me that there are so few posts and hits about this mistake fare, and after all the attention in the popular media. FTers where are you? Normally this would engender an order of magnitude, at least, more attention. It's got to be the date - everyone is out saving money in other ways ... or perhaps it's like settled law by now, after the recent similar instances, and no big deal anymore?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:16 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Firewind
It's amazing to me that there are so few posts and hits about this mistake fare, and after all the attention in the popular media. FTers where are you? Normally this would engender an order of magnitude, at least, more attention. It's got to be the date - everyone is out saving money in other ways ... or perhaps it's like settled law by now, after the recent similar instances, and no big deal anymore?
There's a long thread - currently 916 posts - in the Mileage Run forum here::

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...oss-board.html

I'm also a little disappointed, as I was posting here that day, but never went to the MR forum. I didn't know about it til I saw it on the evening news!
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Firewind
While there was a lot of buzz in the media, I think the number of people that actually booked tickets during this time is actually lower than you might think. I'm someone who booked a flight from FlightNetwork, which was subsequently "auto cancelled" by Delta before ticketing. FlightNetwork published a statement saying this happened to 56 people, and that they were "fighting hard" on behalf of their customers to get them restored. In the end, FlightNetwork got no results, but a friendly and enthusiastic HIBRES agent reinstated the itinerary and ticketed it when I called Delta directly. I would have thought the number would have been a bit higher than 56.

This is what I posted on the other thread about the whole episode:

Originally Posted by javabytes
Update - I called reservations about my cancelled FlightNetwork booking. The agent was not able to locate it using my FlightNetwork PNR, and I stupidly didn't print out my reservation from the Delta website, but she was able to find the booking when I gave her my dates of travel and flight numbers. A supervisor reinstated the itinerary and ticketed it, which took about 30 minutes.

I'll be perfectly honest, I didn't believe they would stand behind the fares at all in the first place. But when they said they would, and my booking was cancelled anyway, figured I'd call. I expected to get the run-around and get pointed back to the OTA, or outright denied because it was never ticketed, but they took care of it.

I haven't hesitated to give Delta a lot of flak for some of the things they've done over the years, but from start to finish I give them a lot of credit for the way they've handled this one. Regardless of what they may have been required to do under DOT regs, or whether you think they are benefiting handsomely from the publicity over the last few days, they've clearly gone a step beyond to make this a positive experience for their customers even though I'm sure it's costing them some dough.

^

Last edited by javabytes; Dec 28, 2013 at 10:34 pm
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

Yes, there is a very active thread in MR forum but there are other threads elsewhere on FT as a result of this deal including several "meet-up" threads in the Community forum. I would not agree that this error went unnoticed here on FT.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:12 am

Several questions

Just curious -

1. how frequently do airlines have these sort of pricing glitches. I don't fly as frequently anymore but i seem to recall hearing about these occassionally. would you say once per year? once every few years? several times a year?

2. does anyone know if this was an across the board glitch or just certain routes?

3. how long do these sorts of glitches last - i thought i saw a reference to 20 minutes only but i can't find it.

4. what would be a good way to identify such a glitch - travelocity fare watcher? how frequently does travelocity scan for new fares? any similar serices?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I'm also a little disappointed, as I was posting here that day, but never went to the MR forum. I didn't know about it til I saw it on the evening news!
I was on a DL international flight at the time, without WiFi. I'm not sure what I would have done if I had known.

To me, it was surprising how few bloggers picked it up at the time. When I learned about the glitch, I half expected that that would have been the hot-breaking blog topic that morning, with the resulting screams about whether the bloggers had "spoiled" it for everyone. Even a couple days later, few blogs seem to have discussed it, although IIRC a few bloggers (including some who normally avoid DL) report having bought multiple tickets at the glitch prices.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Simple fix here would be for airlines to declare in SkyMiles T&C that any fare declared a 'fare mistake' before travel will not accrue any benefits to the SM program.

While people still may travel on the fares to actually get somewhere they want to go, my guess is you would eliminate a lot of demand from MR.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Simple fix here would be for airlines to declare in SkyMiles T&C that any fare declared a 'fare mistake' before travel will not accrue any benefits to the SM program.

While people still may travel on the fares to actually get somewhere they want to go, my guess is you would eliminate a lot of demand from MR.
To some extent, the MQD requirements do this. The glitch fares will only help on status for those who also fly a lot of expensive fares--or who get the AmEx spend or foreign address waivers. For instance, a few glitch trips to Hawaii would potentially help a segment qualifier to reach a higher elite level using MQMs rather than MQSs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.