Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will delta honor a pricing glitch?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:49 am

What fare basis code is your "glitch" fare, and what really happened anyway?

I would have posted this in the ongoing will-Delta-honor-a-glitch-fare thread but it didn't really seem to fit.

I booked two trips on yesterday's "glitch" fare sale. One LAX-JFK that indicated (and continues to indicate) it booked into "C" but the more detailed fare basis code states it is a Y-UP fare. The second is an LAX-HNL that indicates "I" but booked as a B-UP. These are contained in the immediate email confirmations that came with the ticket numbers so it's not any sort of backward-looking revision to fare codes.

So does anybody that doesn't work in Delta's revenue management unit have any real idea as to how this "glitch" actually came about? [Of course if anybody from revenue management wants to weigh in that's cool too ]
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not so sure that availability hasn't been significantly impacted. I'm seeing surprisingly few G A P fares when searching last night and today.

I wonder how many of the glitch tickets were issued in FC. It sounded like the "sale" fares were the same for FC as for coach.

To return to the topic, if these were X class, then you should be able to SDC if X inventory is available. However, depending on how many people bought the glitch fares and how concentrated the purchases were on certain routes such as HNL, the problem could easily be lack of inventory.

If someone bought the glitch tickets on delta.dumb, then MQMs, MQSs, and MQDs should be awarded according to the normal rules. The same *should* be true for SDC and SDS, but unless someone managed to print the fare rules, who knows? I'm not aware of any fares sold by DL that prohibit SDC or SDS if seats are available, but I'm sure the rules will be strictly followed, even for DMs. That's only fair IMO.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From the fare levels, I've been wondering whether these could be some sort of non rev rates that were mistakenly released to the general public. Or perhaps a programmer got the decimal point wrong. IIRC both of these have been causes of some previous mistake fares, not necessarily on DL. If they're B-UP fares, that might support the decimal point theory.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by DLroads
For miles/mqm, I bet it would be at the rate of consolidated (unpublished) fares
I snagged a few tickets on dl.com (BGR-BZN for $59 ai), and the "You will earn MQM/RDM..." amounts looked right, incl class of service and elite bonuses.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
I snagged a few tickets on dl.com (BGR-BZN for $59 ai), and the "You will earn MQM/RDM..." amounts looked right, incl class of service and elite bonuses.
I think DL.com bookings will be fine. It's the third party ones that may not earn full MQMs or RDMs.

Not a good deal of someone needs those miles for qualification.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:23 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Here are a couple of quotes from Delta.com regarding mileage accrual. The first one could be implied under my scenario above (NW Bucharest trip) if the fare components are $0.00 and only taxes:

Free tickets of any kind, including without limitation SkyMiles Award tickets and tickets received in exchange for a Delta transportation voucher.

• Tickets issued at fares subject to rules that exclude the earning of mileage credit for the fare. Fares excluded from earning mileage credit frequently change, particularly on partner airlines. You should always check with Delta, the issuing carrier or your travel agent at the time of booking to ensure that the fare you are purchasing qualifies for mileage credit.

Bolding mine.

I'm not saying that any of this will happen. I'm just pointing out that they may have a couple of "outs".

Can anyone post the fare breakdown from their eMail receipt to see what the fare components are?

Last edited by davetravels; Dec 27, 2013 at 12:35 pm
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From the fare levels, I've been wondering whether these could be some sort of non rev rates that were mistakenly released to the general public. Or perhaps a programmer got the decimal point wrong. IIRC both of these have been causes of some previous mistake fares, not necessarily on DL. If they're B-UP fares, that might support the decimal point theory.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle16106983/

Quote: "It’s likely that the airline tried to tweak its fares with a $10 or $20 system-wide change and a junior programmer made a mistake or two, he said."

Clearly speculation on his part, and a bit of schadenfreude.

If this did come about as a result of a fumbled attempt at implementing a fare increase, then karma does exist.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
. . . . . and a junior programmer made a mistake or two. . . . .
Calling all FlyerTalkers who are Delta employees: Is anyone in the unemployment line this morning?!?

:-: :-:
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
This is from my receipt of one of my purchases directly from www.delta.com. First class DTW-HNL.

Details - Taxes/Carrier-imposed Fees
Total: 61.61
Itemized: 10.00 AY 18.00 XF 15.60 ZP 18.01 US

Fare Details
DTT DL X/SEA DL HNL11.55YA14UPNQ/WP1U DL X/LAX DL DTT11.55YA14UPNQ/WP1U USD23.10END ZP DTWSEAHNLLAX XF DTW4.5SEA4.5HNL4.5LAX4.5

If I am reading this correctly, there is a fare paid in addition to the taxes, and when I was purchasing it said something like I would earn MQDs although it was something ridiculous low which was like half the ticket cost.

As for the SDC question, here is the information from the fare rules right from ebookers for another one of my tickets, seems like SDC should be allowed based on the normal Delta rules.

-SAME DAY CONFIRM/SDC- A. REQUEST MUST BE MADE PRIOR TO THE ORIGINAL TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME. REQUEST MAY BE MADE UP TO 24 HOURS PRIOR TO ORIGINAL TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME. B. NEW CONFIRMED DEPARTURE TIME MUST STILL BE ON THE SAME DAY AS THE ORIGINAL TICKETED DEPARTURE. C. FEE USD 50.00 PLUS ANY DIFFERENCE IN GOVERNMENT IMPOSED ITINERARY BASED FEES. D. MUST BE SAME ORIGIN/DESTINATION CHANGES FROM NONSTOP TO CONNECTION ARE ALLOWED ONLY IF THE CONNECTING POINT IS PERMITTED BASED ON FARE RULES. E. SAME BOOKING CLASS AS ORIGINAL FLIGHT MUST BE AVAILABLE. F. IF THE REQUESTED CHANGE IS NOT APPLICABLE FOR THE FARE PURCHASED IE INVALID ROUTING/AIRPORT/ETC THE CUSTOMER MAY UPGRADE TO A FARE THAT DOES PERMIT THOSE CHANGES USING NORMAL REISSUE PROCEDURES OF PAYING ANY FARE DIFFERENCE PLUS ASC.

Last edited by kss5555; Dec 27, 2013 at 2:32 pm
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
The fares seem to end with /WP1U Is there any significance to that number? Looking at currently filed fares the Yup ones end with /WNUP
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Yep... in this case the fare basis is YA14UPNQ/WP1U and the cost is is 11.55 each direction; on top of that you'd have the US taxes, the 9/11 security fees, and the airport PFCs.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by kss5555
Fare Details
DTT DL X/SEA DL HNL11.55YA14UPNQ/WP1U DL X/LAX DL DTT11.55YA14UPNQ/WP1U USD23.10END ZP DTWSEAHNLLAX XF DTW4.5SEA4.5HNL4.5LAX4.5
Can somebody chime in as to what a WP1U fare designator is? Is it an UP fare or wholesale fare? Other?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
As people fly, please post whether you are earning miles and MQMs. And able to SDC. I have one itinerary that I want to SDC and hope they dont give me a hard time although I understand why they would not allow it on these.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
its not the first time DL has made this sort of error and it won't be the last. Last time was 3 years or so ago. I got JFK to FCO in February 2010 for travel in March 2010 for $130.00 or so RT.

You would think they would have safeguards in place. No doubt this will happen again...maybe take a year, or two, or three, but it will happen again.

Last edited by DL2SXM; Dec 27, 2013 at 2:02 pm
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
As people fly, please post whether you are earning miles and MQMs.
As slow as miles have been posting these days . . . . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.