Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will delta honor a pricing glitch?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Makes sense. DOT rules require DL to honor any ticket issued, even if issued by mistake. But, since the fares were pulled, they clearly aren't available and thus, there's no SDC to be had. DL certainly isn't going out of its way to waive various policies such as change fees.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Often1
Makes sense. DOT rules require DL to honor any ticket issued, even if issued by mistake. But, since the fares were pulled, they clearly aren't available and thus, there's no SDC to be had. DL certainly isn't going out of its way to waive various policies such as change fees.
Makes no sense. Fares are published and killed all the time. You don't need the same fare to be able to SDC... just availability in the same fare class as you were booked.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by javabytes
Makes no sense. Fares are published and killed all the time. You don't need the same fare to be able to SDC... just availability in the same fare class as you were booked.
I would not be shocked to see no Skymiles or MQMs for these (nor will I care). Will be good to get FTers reports from those flying soon if they do issue as well fare class bonus etc.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
manual

I will jump in with my 2c on that (since I did SDC on the one for today).
Most error fares were booked by DL as 'bulk' fares. As such, they require manual changes. I am not sure why, but I am certain they had a motivation behind it.
Long story short- understanding agent can do it for you.

For miles/mqm, I bet it would be at the rate of consolidated (unpublished) fares
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Delta Points
I would not be shocked to see no Skymiles or MQMs for these (nor will I care). Will be good to get FTers reports from those flying soon if they do issue as well fare class bonus etc.
These were published fares, no? A ticket sold on DL.com is a published fare, mistake or not. I think that all earning, for those who are able to fly, will accrue.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
These were published fares, no? A ticket sold on DL.com is a published fare, mistake or not. I think that all earning, for those who are able to fly, will accrue.
It certainly should, and DL has no excuse not to.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
i bet they choose not to award miles too
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Can't SDC on glitch fare?

These fares do earn MQM and RDM and MQD. Even if you booked through a 3rd party channel, if you try to "change" your itinerary you get to the page where it shows your earnings.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by threepackape
I'm still puzzled. Best Buy was allowed to cancel my order for a $3999 TV
mistakenly priced to $999. All they offered was a $100 Best Buy gift card
as an apology.(only after I complained... and only because I had silver
status for spending almost $5000 at Best Buy the previous year) Because
of this, I have switched all my electronic purchases to Amazon and B&H
for the last year.

However, Delta is eating the losses for selling $999 ticket at $27. While
I do appreciate that they are honoring my ticket, I just don't see the logic
in this. Even if Delta choose not to honor it, I will have no choice but to
continue to fly with them.... since they are the sole airline at my local
airport. What am I gonna do? Drive or take Amtrak?
Because DL is operating under federal DOT rules and Best Buy is operating under state advertising laws. You should have gone to your State Attorney General.

FWIW Best Buy has a fairly clear Errors disclaimer on the conditions of use legalize. Which is more than I can say about most of DL's CoC.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Its not about the publicity or to keep you as a flyer. Under DOT regulations Delta would need to face a fine and decided it was cheaper to honor. Its part of Delta Spin, to make it looks like they are doing something as a customer service gesture when in fact they have very little choice.
so a corporation regulated by the DOT gets no protection when it makes
an honest mistake? I thought the airline industry spend millions and
millions every year on lobbyists?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by suvayanr
These fares do earn MQM and RDM and MQD. Even if you booked through a 3rd party channel, if you try to "change" your itinerary you get to the page where it shows your earnings.
Many who booked via ebookers.com can not do that and it errors out and shows nothing.

Will be fun to see how it all plays out.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:41 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I took advantage of the NW mistake fare from many Canadian airports (mine was YYZ) to OTP (Bucharest Romania). Most tickets were around $200~ all in. All miles posted, etc. It was a base fare of "ZERO $$" - all taxes/surcharges. - - however . . .

IIRC, this mistake fare prompted them to add a line buried in all fare rules that said, something like - - - Each fare component must be at least $25 in order to accrue miles.

I'm not sure if DL has this or not, and I'm not sure how the fare breakdown was on the tix issued yesterday, since, somehow, I didn't hear about it til' it was gone!

Last edited by davetravels; Dec 27, 2013 at 10:53 am
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: DL GM, FL A+ Elite, WN A List
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Has DL announced how many of the mistake fare tickets were sold during the two hour or so period of the glitch? I'm seeing surprisingly bad availability for some trips I need to book.
Not sure but I have a feeling a good number... Some west coast routings I am looking for for early next year have low availability as well...
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:23 am

How will they be able to ferret out each particular fare and determine whether it was a 'glitch' or not? Timeframe? Would tickets sold on DL.com after the glitch not receive miles if the OTA still had the glitch at the same time?

I bet that elite status and miles are the least of DL's concerns at this moment.

Re: Delta Points that is indeed correct -- the option to change is not available. But my flight has been on DL for over 24 hours now. Doubt they'll take it down, accrual or not.

Wonder how many of these sold. Certainly some losses in the F/J cabin, but I can't imagine it will impact the (usually undersold?) Y cabins too much.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
Wonder how many of these sold. Certainly some losses in the F/J cabin, but I can't imagine it will impact the (usually undersold?) Y cabins too much.
The only real loss will be from those that purchased and would have still purchased if the price was higher. The rest will most likely be filling seats that would have gone unsold, given away as fee upgrades or filled with non-rev. They could argue they lost out in some baggage fee revenue, economy comfort or paid upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.