Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
I was in several skyclubs over the past few days and realized that what it is that really bugs me about this the most. It's not the vodka and such that all tastes the same to me. It's the baileys. The charge for a measured pour of it is completely outrageous.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'm currently at the DCA Skyclub and asked for a rum and Coke. To my surprise they were using Captain Morgan Silver. Anyone know what's going on?
The barkeep though you needed a little captain in ya.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by pbarnette
And we delve deeper into the minutae... This is about where I suspected it would descend. Let us recap:

1) TH cannot actually discern between the products.

How so?
2) TH has no actual knowledge that the products are produced "under license"

Yes, I do... You portrayed yourself as the expert, hence I asked you and you did not know. Do you still not know this fact or does the amateur need to teach the expert of this fact?

3) TH has no actual knowledge that the products use different recipes.

No more than you know they do.

4) TH has no actual knowledge that would dispute the idea that the 70% initial distillate requirement is not sufficient for ensuring 37.5% and 40% gin is materially the same

My question to you was did they distill at the same % and just put more water in the UK version. You are the expert, so I expect proof sources on this aspect.

5) TH does not actually understand what is meant by "watering back"

Or perhaps you assumed I did not, hence your back watering though this little tangent without any facts to prove the point you appointed yourself as the house expert as... other than a few patronizing jabs.

TH... You are funny. Frankly, you are likable. Why not leave it at that? You are out of your element. You are a consumer, not a connoisseur. Celebrate that. Be the life of the party, not the nerd in the corner arguing over whether there is a material difference between 37.5% and 40%.
Haha... Does this mean you are a gin connoisseur?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:45 am
Suspended

Thank heavens we have pbarnette to cure the other dozens of regulars in this forum of their ignorance about absolutely everything.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: DL AA UA
Arrogance comes across poorly in written form.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 1:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I am just gonna throw this out there....

Fahey recalled when he found out the hard way that English gin is different from its American cousin. Ordering a martini while on a London trip to meet with Gordon's British executives, he found the drink was so highly flavored that he could barely swallow it. His bemused hosts were waiting for just such a reaction. The English always dilute their more concentrated gin. Only Americans drink martinis, said Fahey, explaining that U.S. gin manufacturers "lighten up on the botanicals" as a result.

But regardless of the fact that American gin is subtly different from its English ancestor, stillmaster Gramm is proud of the tradition that he and his fellow stillmen uphold.

"I feel there's an artistic nature about what we do. I don't think there are a whole lot of people working for a company that can say they're making a product that's been around for 200 years."
Old Jun 8, 2013, 3:31 am
Suspended

The triangle test is key. knowing the difference is all thats required. Which one the taster prefers will always be a matter of opinion and matters of opinion cannot be objectively proved. however if a majority of the target market consistently prefers one bran in blind tests then it can be established that it is the brand which should e considered superior within the context of the test (i.e. "Which brand will establish the mood of the "exclusive experience" we are aiming to offer?")
Old Jun 8, 2013, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Thank heavens we have pbarnette to cure the other dozens of regulars in this forum of their ignorance about absolutely everything.
I'm here to help.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
The triangle test is key. knowing the difference is all thats required. Which one the taster prefers will always be a matter of opinion and matters of opinion cannot be objectively proved. however if a majority of the target market consistently prefers one bran in blind tests then it can be established that it is the brand which should e considered superior within the context of the test (i.e. "Which brand will establish the mood of the "exclusive experience" we are aiming to offer?")
Were people actually doing blind taste tests, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 4:50 am
Suspended

Were people actually doing blind taste tests, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
So let's do one. Bubbashow offered to fly longing4piedmont to DTW and he disappeared right after that, I can't speak for him but if he would extend the same offer to you, are you game? Or maybe someone could make YouTube videos, that would be cheaper.

As a consumer of neither rum nor vodka nor neat gin I have no dog in the which one is better argument, but I bet it's possible to tell the difference. As a consumer of Bailey's, DL has not even bothered to provide a cheap alternative and call it "premium" or "well-known." So even if by some chance nobody can differentiate between the formerly complimentary brands and the now complimentary brands, you cannot say that DL is providing the same experience that paying customers paid for.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
The annoying part is that Bailey's is a Diageo brand.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
And we have a winner!
It shows how little Americans know about Europe that they think that the finest vodka available would be produced in a country that historically has had nothing to do with the development or production of vodka.

Vodka was probably invented in Poland and has been a standard drink in some form or other for hundreds of years in the countries surrounding the Baltic sea and eastward. It is traditionally made from potatoes or some type of grain, and while generally unflavored can be flavored by things like caraway seeds; Ciroc is made from grapes.

I was reading a marketing article that discussed why people buy the brands of booze that they do and the success of Ciroc, a high-priced hooch designed for the upwardly mobile "urban" populace. "P Diddy" was hired to push this brand, and he took it from sales of 40,000 cases a year to 2.1 million cases a year.

Essentially, "consumers buy brands that make them feel good about themselves (personal satisfaction) and that make them look good in the eyes of their friends and peer groups (social satisfaction.)". This is probably something that one hears in marketing 101, but it is a profound statement nonetheless.

I was fascinated with the article that discussed this:

http://www.diversityaffluence.com/bl...80%99s-success

In other words, brands like Ciroc and Grey Goose were designed to separate fools from their money--the product inside the bottle is in fact no better than other brands costing far less, neither is produced in a country known for vodka, and the packaging and name on the bottle creates a false aura of sophistication.

As far as Grey Goose's claim that it is the world's best tasting vodka, there are a couple of entrepreneurs up in Pennsylvania that are making a knockout product called "Boyd and Blair", made from potatoes grown in Pennsylvania (I had no idea they grew potatoes in the Keystone State, but that is another matter). If you want to have a superior product, try this brand of booze (I have no connection with them).
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
I bet he returns later and when asked about it says he was busy unlike the rest of us freeloading gamer 3G&Gers.
Yep you got it. Some of us actually fly during the week rather than just talking about it.

But for the record.......bubba you are on.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 6:03 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I will fly him here, put him up in a hotel for the night, host the challenge, and deliver him to and from DTW. It is asinine to think that one wouldn't be able to tell Gordon's from anything else (well, I guess Mohawk might taste the same).

My theme on here is consistent. I think some things should be charged for and should be exclusive. The brands that were in the SC were nothing to be impressed with, but they were (for the most part) drinkable. Now...bleh. I think the membership fee should include some complimentary spirits.
I am ready when you are. And no surprise here that you accepted the challenge. I like folks who are willing to back up what they believe and say. The rest are pretenders...... But just be prepared to lose.

As a matter of fact I think I am through DTW on Wednesday on my way to DEN.

edit: just checked. It's not Wednesday but Friday night and I don't think 42 minute layover is long enough. I will be back up early in July to see one of our larger accounts and we can bend a few elbows then. I will let you know when the date is set.

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Jun 8, 2013 at 6:13 am
Old Jun 8, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
SDC for a longer connection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.