Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2013, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I am just gonna throw this out there....

Fahey recalled when he found out the hard way that English gin is different from its American cousin. Ordering a martini while on a London trip to meet with Gordon's British executives, he found the drink was so highly flavored that he could barely swallow it. His bemused hosts were waiting for just such a reaction. The English always dilute their more concentrated gin. Only Americans drink martinis, said Fahey, explaining that U.S. gin manufacturers "lighten up on the botanicals" as a result.

But regardless of the fact that American gin is subtly different from its English ancestor, stillmaster Gramm is proud of the tradition that he and his fellow stillmen uphold.

"I feel there's an artistic nature about what we do. I don't think there are a whole lot of people working for a company that can say they're making a product that's been around for 200 years."
Cough....
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Were people actually doing blind taste tests, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
What you apparently fail to grasp is that all of the opinions expressed here are just that; highly subjective opinions. They are however, to those that hold them, completely valid.

By making the recent changes to the available SC selections, DL has opened the door for those of us with opinions on the matter to debate the merits of DLs decision. It appears the vast majority of those on this thread view that decision negatively. The reasons for that are not relevant to the collective perceived loss in value of the SC brand.

All the insults, and argumentum ad hominem attacks aside, you have your opinion with regards to this matter, and I respect your right to disagree with the majority. In fact, absent said attacks, I very much respect your willingness to present the opposing viewpoint in the face of so many opinions to the contrary.

DL has now made their decision, and upset many flyers in the process. The reasons for that upset may seem nonsensical to you. However, as I stated above, those reasons are subjective, and entirely legitimate to those who hold them.

Last edited by NapaPatTours; Jun 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:34 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by dEagleS
SDC for a longer connection?
Same fare class now required. Another happy enhancement.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:37 am
Suspended

.. That and the people who make it even admit the US and UK versions are different.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by pbarnette
And you would hope that those posting on the thread have the best interests of the consumer in mind. Given TH and Co's lack of familiarity with the process, you have to question their motives.
And I have to question your motives... are you perhaps seeking to divert criticism of the changes at the sky club and have figured that the best way to do so is to take this thread OT to criticism of TH?

Hmmmm?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HongKonger
...So even if by some chance nobody can differentiate between the formerly complimentary brands and the now complimentary brands, you cannot say that DL is providing the same experience that paying customers paid for.
Yes, we have allowed the focus of this thread to be taken away from our experiences in the club by someone else's experience in pontificating.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by dEagleS
SDC for a longer connection?
You can't do that anymore, but l4p thinks that is a good thing.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ND76
In other words, brands like Ciroc and Grey Goose were designed to separate fools from their money...
As, increasingly, is the Sky Club...
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
As a matter of fact I do. I'm four for four in doing SDC's and being upgraded everytime.

But in this case I'm on the last flight of the night home so no chance to do the SDC. Interesting how those who will not step up to plate continue to try to divert the attention away from themselves. Why is that?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Yes, we have allowed the focus of this thread to be taken away from our experiences in the club by someone else's experience in pontificating.
I think it was a good exercise.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NapaPatTours
Well said.

What you apparently fail to grasp is that all of the opinions expressed here are just that; highly subjective opinions. They are however, to those that hold them, completely valid.

By making the recent changes to the available SC selections, DL has opened the door for those of us with opinions on the matter to debate the merits of DLs decision. It appears the vast majority of those on this thread view that decision negatively. The reasons for that are not relevant to the collective perceived loss in value of the SC brand.

All the insults, and argumentum ad hominem attacks aside, you have your opinion with regards to this matter, and I respect your right to disagree with the majority. If fact, absent said attacks, I very much respect your willingness to present the opposing viewpoint in the face of so many opinions to the contrary.

DL has now made their decision, and upset many flyers in the process. The reasons for that upset may seem nonsensical to you. However, as I stated above, those reasons are subjective, and entirely legitimate to those who hold them.
While stating a preference between two wines or gins may require subjective judgement, there is no room for debate that Sky Club management have raised fees, made some formerly complementary beverage choices available only for purchase, and in the case of Bailey's have not even left a complementary alternative.

That DL management came here urging folks to renew their memberships at an increased cost, even while planning to devalue the SKY Club product, is also clear cut.

Perhaps decisions about business ethics also require subjective judgements. But, I believe that many here have made a firm, and correct, judgement about the ethics of this situation.

Can we get away from dissembling diatribes intended to divert attention from the real issues here?

Stop feeding the DDL members.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
As a matter of fact I do. I'm four for four in doing SDC's and being upgraded everytime.

But in this case I'm on the last flight of the night home so no chance to do the SDC. Interesting how those who will not step up to plate continue to try to divert the attention away from themselves. Why is that?
Step up to the plate how? This should be good.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by jsmith50
SkyTeam lounges play by a different set of rules. I'm mostly curious about the actual DL-branded SCs found outside the country.
Was in NRT on Wednesday. The beer machines remain, along with American swill available. The liquor has gone to the new standard SC selection with one exceptionJW Red in place of Scoresby's. Well, I shouldn't say I'm 100% sure that Scoresby's wasn't there, but there definitely was JW Red sitting out on the self-serve bar.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 8:47 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Was in NRT on Wednesday. The beer machines remain, along with American swill available. The liquor has gone to the new standard SC selection with one exceptionJW Red in place of Scoresby's. Well, I shouldn't say I'm 100% sure that Scoresby's wasn't there, but there definitely was JW Red sitting out on the self-serve bar.
It's a sad day when a club upgrades its scotch to JW Red.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I think it was a good exercise.
Only because you prevailed in the end. So, in recognition of that:

Well played, sir!

When did you know you had him hooked?

However, you should have saved others the Google search:

How Gordon's gin is made in Plainfield, IL

Very interesting article. Particularly the part about how the flavor of the gin is also customized for Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.